Cities with great tap water...

I’ll second that. IIRC, it’s called artesian well water.

First of all one has to define what the criteria are for “great tap water”. Free of tatse/odor problems, reasonably low levels of hardness, low levels of turbidity, etc. What we are willing to accept is often dictated by the simple fact of what is available to us.

The City of Chicago, for example, has an amazing source of water in Lake Michigan (low hardness, low turbidity, low TDS and an economic and environmentally acceptable notion of not overly chlorinating) but the two water treatment plants are completely incapable of dealing with the occasional taste/odor issues.

Many systems dependent on groundwater are plagued with problems like high arsenic, high uranium/radium, and high iron and manganese.

From a regulatory standpoint, all surface water systems are (or will be) required to provide filtration. In addition, surface water systems will also be required to provide effective removal of Cryptosporidium and Giardia lamblia along with basic virus protection. Groundwater systems are not required to filter (unless they are determined to be groundwater under the influence of surface water); however, as mentioned above, they are subject to other problems like iron, manganese, radium, uranium, arsenic, etc.

Melbourne’s water is fantastic. If I have to buy bottled I tip it out and refill from the tap.

Yes, thanks. That’s it.

Singapore’s water is drinkable out from the tap, though some of it is bought from Malaysia (then filtered/processed).

I’ve always had Cleveland water where I live and I’ve never had issue with it. I’ve had people make fun of my “city water” but I think they’re just jealous because they grew up with well water. Ech!

If only this were true. Buffalo, NY has a zebra mussel problem. It used to be terrible in the 1990s, and now they’ve sort of got a handle on it but it still seems to flair up periodically. And I personally think the water is over-chlorinated now as a result.

For my money, NYC is the best.

I was at a wine festival at Seven Springs Resort/ski area. I bought a bottle of water to use for rinsing my glass. On the bottle’s label I read that the water was from the area’s public water supply. It is so good that they bottle and sell it!

I believe Seven Springs is located in Champion, PA.

That’s not always because it’s good - sometimes it’s just because it’s there. Read the hilarious tale of Coca Cola’s “Dasani” fiasco in the UK. I particularly like:

Yes, yes we do. I hated the few years when I lived 2 hours west in Columbia during college - the water there was disgusting, especially on campus. Smelled and tasted like chemicals, showers yuck feeling compared to here. Britas were a must there. But here in STL it’s great.

Edinburgh’s water is fantastic - incredibly crisp.

When I visited Austria, I was told that the tap water there was better than the bottled stuff we have at home. It was very good.

I’m originally from the San Francisco Bay Area (Walnut Creek, in the Easy Bay). Absolutely amazing tap water. I could drink that stuff forever.

Spent college in Salem, Oregon. Funky tasting tap water. Had to filter it to get it to my liking.

Currently living in Los Angeles. I spent the last two years in Westwood and currently am in Culver City. Westwood’s was about the same as Salem’s (had to filter it, but then it was fine). Culver City’s is bad even after I filter it (though maybe I need a new filter? Hmm…)