Climate Science: Is it currently designed to answer questions?

How does that compare to the resources invested in lobbying for GW legislation and advertising by groups such as Greenpeace, WWF, Al Gore, PETA etc? I’m betting it’s chickenfeed in comparison.

From what I’ve found so far, environmental groups combined spend less on lobbying than Exxon-Mobil alone. I haven’t yet found figures for advertising. I’m having trouble finding what I’d call very good sources, but here is a NY Times article that gives figures for spending during the third quarter of 2009:

Actually, it turns out that a lot of the environmental groups have their IRS form 990 online, so you can browse what they tell the US government about their financial activities. Looks like the WWF operational budget for 2009 was about $130 million. Greenpeace ~$15 million. PETA ~$13 million. Registration was required to look at the Sierra Club’s, but other web pages put their budget at ~$100 million. Looks like we’d have to add up a lot of environmental groups entire budgets and assume that they are entirely for lobbying and advertising before they would dwarf oil company spending on the same. But I’m oversimplifying and looking at this from an American-centric perspective.

There about as open as allowing a five year old to come in at anytime and delete the database. There is nothing remotely open about SourceWatch as they strictly control content. Global Warming information on Wikipedia is controlled by alarmist scientists,

Wikipropaganda On Global Warming (CBS News)

Propaganda indeed.

Actually, that’s from National Review Online.

Posted on the CBS News website.

Well I skimmed the Nov 2008 article from arxiv.org. It looks more like an overall discussion paper about his disagreements with people and institutions than about climatology.

The core of his argument seems to be that the theory/experiment approach to science is being replaced by a model/experiment method which allows for increased self delusion. He then couples that to big science and the potential for non-experts to represent scientific organizations as experts. I think he omits the potential for people to be lazy and attribute expertise where none is explicitly claimed.

The argument around theory/experiment vs. model/experiment has some validity however I’m, not sure what his point is. There are complex systems where reduction of variables and the ability of performing controlled experiments are simply not possible, particularly where nonlinear effects come into play. Since no one is going to give you a planetary climate to poke and prod in a controlled manner you have to model it. The problem is the baseline model we have (the world) is continually being changed while the “experiment” is being run. So we have multiple models producing multiple possible paths and then a statistical profiling of potential futures. Which brings us to our second problem; the majority of people are unfamiliar with non definitive science. SCIENCE to may people is simply plugging in a few numbers and knowing where a 100 kg piece of metal is 30 million km away. They’re not so familiar with statistical analysis and degrees of uncertainty. Error bars are completely foreign to them.

Lawrence Solomon is the author of The Deniers.

That is an opinion piece BTW, not a news article. And after I saw the incompetence that he showed in the Deniers book, I will have to dismiss him.

look, Poptech, you’re not our first denier. We’ve had this runaround of biased industry front organisations, 10 year-old Lindzen citations even the man himself no longer cites, and especially the attempt to declare only denier sites as worthy.

How about you, yourself, in your own words, tell us why “climate science” is not “currently designed to answer questions”. You’re making an assertion - back it up.

I’m betting not.

But you’re shown you’re perfectly capable of digging up your own cites, don’t let me do your homework for you. I’ll throw you a bone, though - start here. See if you can see Greenpeace or WWF anywhere on that list. The one where Exxon-Mobil is at No. 9. It gets better when you see individual years, believe me.

Blake, hereare some more anti-climate change figures to check against. Let me know when the environmental groups (and Al Gore) are spending more than $234.7 million a year on lobbying.

Or people can look at Connelly’s wikipedia edits to confirm what Solomon is saying.

Unfortunately you want to defend the use of Wikipedia as a dumping ground of misinformation, Lawrence Solomon would love to be able to add that misinformation to Wikipedia.

Except it is not misinformation. It is the reality you want censored so people cannot read it.

Oh please not the smear site Desmogblog,

DeSmogBlog

$$$ Funded by James Hogan (James Hoggan & Associates) and John Lefebvre (Former President of Netseller Group)

Let be noticed that once again, you do not want to discuss the clear misrepresentation of the scientists by Solomon.

It is still a fallacy to shoot the messenger, specially by using the tactic of smear by association. You still need to explain why one has to respect anyone like Salomon when he misrepresents scientists.

Wait, we’re supposed to not trust* David Suzuki*, now? The man is the greatest Canadian of all time (Tommy Douglas, who he?), never mind amongst the greatest TV science popularizers. There’s a holy triumvirate of Sagan, Attenborough and Cousteau, and Suzuki shall sit at their right hands.

And I forgot to mention that the article at DeSmogBlog is based on an interview made by the CBC that showed the mendacity of Solomon. Can we expect the next denialist effort will be to find a way to discredit even the CBC? :slight_smile: