"Colonel's Honey Sauce." KFC is Replacing HONEY?

Not so. What you describe is “process American cheese.” In distinction, “cheese food” is process cheese with other stuff in it, such as whey and emulsifiers. By federal regulation, cheese food can contain as little as 51% real cheese, I believe. Finally, “American cheese” with no qualifier is often (maybe always, I’m not sure) a real unmodified cheese (never melted, unadulterated) similar to colby or a very mild cheddar. You can get it at the deli counter or sometimes in the dairy case if you check the label carefully.

I remember the stuff from well before the honey bee CCD became big–which has been somewhat misreported (surprise!) by the media.

Well, I did limit my references to people on this board expressing their opinion. Obviously, the SDMB is not representative of America, though. My guess is that people on here are, on average, even fatter than the average American.

But I do believe that people have gotten so used to sweetness that they find it hard to stomach stuff without it. Go through your refrigerator and read labels sometime. Sugar or high fructose corn syrup reall are in almost everything. Or are you a proponent of the “High Fructose Corn Syrup Conspiracy Theory” (as in, it’s in everything because They want to make money off corn! We only eat it because They make us!) ?

I picked the wrong time a couple of years ago to start mead-making as a hobby.

The retail price of honey has certainly gone up over the last couple of years. I’ve read this year has been especially bad but more because of some bad weather than the CCD thing.

Or… perhaps you’ve picked the perfect time! You see, although the price of honey has gone up, the price of the Colonel’s Honey Sauce has not. It remains one of the few things that is FREE.

It’s high time someone made mead from the Colonel’s Honey Sauce! After you sample the delicious ambrosia, feel free to thank me by sending me a few bottles.

I’ve been suspiscious of the “Honey Sauce” for a long time. Then, when KFC rolled out the “new” cartoon Colonel for marketing campaigns, complete with thick crepe sole shoes and “jiggy” dancing, I just about gave up.

Yell this at home, in your best Charlton Heston voice, “Original Recipe is Pidgeon!”

I still eat it every chance I get. :smack:

Coincidentally, Colonel’s Honey Sauce is playing right now on the Hustler Channel.

That’s not a coincidence! That’s marketing, baby! :wink:

Fast food restaurants have been serving “honey flavored sauce” as long as I can remember. This is not a new thing. That doesn’t make it any better, though.

I looked at the ingredients of the baklava at the supermarket the other day. No honey whatsoever – just high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient. I was under the impression that honey was an essential element of baklava (although I guess I do see a few recipes on the internet that only use sugar). Still, I’m guessing that authentic baklava uses very little HFCS.

Well, not the chicken itself, maybe, but most of the sides would get pretty messy without a fork. The knife, though, baffles me, unless it’s just for spreading artificial fat butter substitute and artificial sugar honey substitute on the (hopefully still real) biscuit.

bibliophage, my source for that was a cookbook I have at home. This evening, I’ll have to re-check it to see if I was remembering correctly from it.

Yankees. Which also explains why something called “Colonel’s Honey Sauce” is even served in the same room as ::eyes heavenward:: fried chicken…