Comedy movies that haven't aged well

Eddie Murphey’s Nutty Professor

Maybe I’ve simply outgrown his style of humor, tho, to be honest, I didn’t find it more than mildly amusing the first time around.

The Jerry Lewis version still makes me giggle. “To me…, carbon dioxide…, has always been a gas.”

I’ve always acknowledged that The Birdcage has lol moments, but I’ve also always had a BUNCH of problems with it. Now you can add really really dated: it would be unthinkable to hide a gay couple’s orientation from the girlfriend’s parents no matter how conservative they were.

My main problem even in the '90s was the lack of believability of Williams and Lane as a longtime couple who love each other and the lack of any evidence that the son considers Lane a co-parent. Since the actors were good all around I think that this was the fault of writing that was deliberately neutered to not offend Mrs. Grundy and it seriously hurts the movie 20 years later.

Well, I guess I’m thirding Clerks. I just watched it again for the first time since high school and I almost fell asleep. I remember laughing my ass off at that movie. Like you, my wife had never seen it, but unfortunately I did waste her time with it. I’m sure I’ll hear about it the next time we’re trying to pick out something to watch.

What is most surprising about a lot of 70s and 80s comedies is how slow the pace is. You only remember the funny parts but there is another 90 minutes to two hours around them that can go on forever.

I take it you’ve never seen The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

Big difference is the drunk driver is not the “hero” of the movie.

Not really. It’s still played for big laughs, and I don’t think there was any picketing

Dudley Moore’s character was similar to Leslie Mann’s, in that they were both ridiculous characters whose absurd behavior was played for comedic effect. Arthur only became the hero when he straightened up a bit.

I recently watched The Jerk, remembering how we would quote the funny lines back in middle school.
Not even a smirk this time.

I loved Bill and Ted’s excellent adventure when it first came out. Watching it recently it just seemed kind of dumb. But that may have been partially because I was watching it with my wife who has low tolerance for juvenile humor.

I’m not sure why comedy is supposed to be inoffensive. Arthur is still funny. Only dulled by the fact that I know all the lines.

I’m really interested in how the latter day sequel is going to fare.

American Pie perhaps?

It doesn’t have to be; John Waters’ films were offensive as hell and hilarious, but it depends on the material and the atmosphere and other factors.
However, in Arthur it’s essential that you like the character and feel sympathy for him. It’s easy to feel sorry for and like the main character even if he’s a playboy zillionaire so long as he’s basically good at heart, but less easy when he does something that could easily end or destroy the quality of life of innocent people (especially when he has a chauffeur). Doesn’t sink the movie, but a misfire.
The sequel, which isn’t nearly as good but does have a couple of funny moments, actually shows the pendulum shift in how problem drinking was portrayed in film. Much of it concerns Arthur’s drying out. Does have a funny exchange about it- a paraphrase:

ARTHUR: I’m very serious about quitting drinking.
Social Worker (Kathy Bates): What have you done?
ARTHUR: Well, a few months ago I joined Alcoholics Anonymous.
Social Worker: How many meetings do you go to per month?
ARTHUR: There are meetings?

Mel Brooks’s Spaceballs: just absolutely unwatchable today, IMHO.
Doesn’t hold up 1% as well as the movies it lampoons.

Mel Brooks’ The Producers (the original) - the SHOCK of gay designers and humorous Nazis has to be played much bigger these days. I think the musical revision succeeds there.

And in the 70’s, I would have named that as my favorite comedy.

Now, sometimes it depends on the audience- watching Dr. Strangelove with people who aren’t into it is an endurance test.
You might enjoy the jokes but they’re not & you understand why.

No way. My kids love this movie—and have for years. They’re now 16 and 11, and we watch this at least every couple of months. It’s been sitting on the DVR for many years now so we can pull it up any time we want.

I haven’t watched the original version of The Producers in decades, nor have I watched Clerks since right after it was released. Since I thought both were funny at the time, I’ll have to see what I think now, particularly whether I agree with the consensus about Clerks.

For me the more I watch ND the funnier it gets. The first couple of times I thought it was so stupid but then after multiple views I started picking up on the subtlety. This past thanksgiving while eating ham I kept thinking, “Tina come get some ham.”

Maybe if you seen it a bunch of times. I watched it about a month ago with someone who had never seen it and they thought it was hilarious especially the Yogurt scenes.

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner is a bigger period piece now than The Importance of Being Earnest, due in part to glacial pacing and in part to Sidney Poitier’s character being such a Marty Stu character (a gorgeous widowed doctor who donates his time to charity) and repeated references to him as a Negro.
OTOH, while not exactly a comedy (though it has comedic moments), I watched Lilies of the Field recently and was surprised how well it holds up- much better than Guess Who.

I find Austin Power painfully unfunny now. I loved it at the time. I kind of like the opening musical moments and I like the opening to the third one, but the rest is kind of dull. Even though it seemed fresh to me in 1997, it now seems cliche. I guess it made itself cliche somehow.