Commercials You Actually Like

I like the one for “What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas” where the landscaper knocks on the front door and says, “that’ll be $75”. The homeowner guy says “but it’s usually $35”. Landscaper mentions how he spent the weekend in Vegas, and saw the homeowner guy there having a pretty crazy time too. The light of realization dawns on Homeowner. “so, you said $75? OK.”

The one from a few years ago I liked is a couple walks into Circuit City and she’s saying to him “now remember, we’re just here to pick up a [whatever- blender, CD, etc]” and meanwhile, he looks as if he’s a kid in a candy store, and starts running through the store. The look on the girl’s face is priceless- like “gaaahhh- he does this every time!” sort of a look.

Hey! I just realized that I finally made it past my 1000th post! Woo-hoo!

I am OBSESSED with this ad.

I’ve always been really fascinated by advertising. If done well its the most effective form of straight up brainwashing. I love it.

I also really like the sticking it to yourself ad.

theres always the classic ad of tony hale dancing to mr. roboto in the volkswagen

There’s another one that has a bunch a little animals seen in night vision singing a song (Lion sleeps tonight?). I came home from work one day and saw 1 minute of the Oprah (or Ellen - something like that anyway) show marked “Protected” on the DVR. Lady Zakalwe had recorded the commercial. Whenever she’s having a really rough day with Baby Zakalwe, she’ll watch it to cheer herself up. She actually starts laughing when she hits the play button before the thing even starts playing.

I have a special fondness for the low budget, “as seen on TV” product type of commercials.

My current favorite is for something called “Pet Stairs.” As you might possibly figure out from the name of the product, they’re selling stairs for your pet. The entire commercial consists of shots of little dogs going up and down stairs, to help them get in the car, or on the couch, or whatever.

I could probably sit, slack-jawed, and watch little dogs climbing up and down stairs all day. It’s a little dog! He’s going up stairs! It’s another little dog! He’s going down stairs!

It also has the nice touch of a very grandfatherly type actor earnestly saying something along the lines of “Our little dog can do just about anything, but with his little legs, he can’t quite make it up on the couch.” I pretty much melt at that point.

This is one of my favorites, too.

I love all of the happy cow commercials. “Good milk comes from happy cows”.

It’s an ad for some type of energy drink where the announcer is doing a voiceover talking smack at a guy because his scarecrow is ineffective. The guy chugs some of the product, and begins upgrading the scarecrow, first so it breathes fire (complete with flaming crow falling from the sky) and then laser beams from the eyes (complete with vaporized crow), but then the announcer says “But why stop at crows? Why not foxes?” (and we see the robot/scarecrow running through the cornfield after a fox) and then finally…”Why not……hippies?” (where it cuts to the shocked looking face of a dude with long hair wearing a baja). I don’t drink energy drinks, but I do support the construction of a device that eradicates hippies.

I hate the ads, but have to admit they’re clever, for this cleaning product in the UK.

It’s called CILLIT BANG and the commercials are really low-budget, looking like they’re off a cheesy home shopping channel, with an annoying shouty man who always shouts CILLIT BANG. (Ads are available on the linked site, but they’re not really worth looking at.)

Except the whole thing is a spoof: it’s a very expensive ad campaign, made to look like a cheap and nasty one. The shouty man, “Barry Scott”, who looks just like any other infomercial creep, is actually an actor playing a role.

A bizarre double-bluff, but it really worked, and took the product from nowhere to near-total recognition in about three years.

My ex tells me she bought some CILLIT BANG and it took the enamel off her bath, so perhaps it’s not such a good product, though.

Right now, I’m loving the Comcast one with the turtles - how they’re slow - and the one right now where he’s reading the paper to explain why they moved there and she says, “I didn’t know you could read”, and he says, “There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me.”

Hehehehe

My husband told me about one today for Jeep - there’s a dog in the jeep that’s off roading and running back and forth with his head out the window and stuff, and then the jeep stops, the dog gets out and the bottom of him is white (the top is brown) and the guy says, “Well you’re the one who wanted to drive with the window open” as the dog shakes all the mud off of himself…

Sorry - I find that there are a lot of commercials lately that have me busting a gut…

I bought those pet stairs for my little dog who CAN jump on the couch but is scared because of the number of times he’s wiped out trying.

However, he wont use the stairs no matter how much I try to train him to use it. I baited it with treats and everything. Now it just serves as something by the couch to rest a beverage on.

Is that where they stop the Ooh Baby Baby to track a shipping order and then restart? If so, yeah, hilarious.

Geico’s cavemen is brilliant and I even like a couple of the Sonic ones, mostly the two idiot guys but also when the husband asks his wife "What else did that salad tell you… did it tell you to wear that sweater?

Actually, they’re for cheese, run by the state of California’s cheese makers. The actual tagline is “Good cheese comes from happy cows. Happy cows come from California.”

I like the Citibank identity theft commercials. You know, the guy wearing a T-shirt and Birkenstocks while talking in an obviously ditzy teenaged girl’s voice about spending $1500 on a leather boustierre (sp?). Or the old woman cleaning her pool while talking in a redneck man’s voice. Or the dental hygenist talking in the suave Don Juan voice.

I love those.

Yup, it is for cheese. Brain cramp. :smack:

I like Punky Chips Ahoy. Oi, oi, oi!

Right now my husband and I are loving the latest Citibank Identity Theft commercial, where a guy gets his identity stolen by a Hollywood wannabe who gets headshots taken, then breaks into song ala a bad American Idol audition. It rivals our previous favorite Citibank one, where the girl bought the leather bustier (it lifts and separates (the top one on this page)). Hilarious! We rewind and rewatch it every time it’s on, laughing our asses off. I wish that one was available online.

Another absolutely brilliant ad is the Ikea lamp commercial. “Many of you feel bad for this lamp. That is because you’re crazy.” <snort!>

The first few times I saw the I peench spot for the Honda Element, I laughed so hard I couldn’t breathe. Then, when my wife’s work schedule finally let her spend some time at home watching TV, the bestids starting showing the short version of the spot.

Where can I find the full version on the web, so I can show it to her?

I have no idea what it’s for (probably cellular service) but two guys are in a locker room trying to one up each other on what features their cell phones have.

Guy #1: “Oh yeah, well mine has theft deterant”
Guy #2: “Theft deterant? How’s that work?”
Guy #1: “try and take my phone”
Guy #2: [reaches…}
Guy #1: {line drives his cellphone into guy#2’s head]

It reminds me of a scene you would see on My Name is Earl :smiley:

http://automobiles.honda.com/element/index.aspx