Concrete shoes, pulp fiction or not?

It’s an Italian thing; you wouldn’t understand.

Just how did Mythbusters go about disproving the story? Ultrasound the endzones for suspicious cavities? Pour a model endzone and have a corpse bob to the surface?

Paul Bernarno and Kathy Holmoka (serial killer team from Canada) did this to at least one of their victims. Not sure if it fits the classic definition of ‘concrete overshoes’ but comes pretty close…

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/bernardo/index_1.html

You mind your place, mister, or ye’ll be wearin’ concrete galoshes.

My Materials Science prof from Freshman Year would have a word with you about that. Concrete is a composite of three or more items , of which Portland Cement is but one, albeit the binding that holds the rest together.

This is no doubt an urban myth but this is what a mate told to me.

When a certain very large and famous theme park was being built on the European continent some years ago at which my mate was working as a carpenter there was an Irish bloke collecting for the Irish Republican “cause” from the large number of Irishmen working on the site .

Their contributions were not entirely voluntary there being a tacit"If you dont pay up there will be consequences for you and/or your family back home "implied in the request for donations.

Many of the people were not happy about handing over a percentage of their paypackets every week to the “Cause” and the people who organised the work contracts got to hear about it.

Unfortunately they were the Italian Mafia and the Irish Republican Zealot is now apparently holding up part of a very romantic,very famous theme park castle.

This story could very well be total B/S,I dont know I wasn’t there, but thats the story as told to me by a good mate.

Yes, in the Jim Carrey movie Bruce Almighty, TV journalist Bruce finds Hoffa’s body and it’s a huge boost for his career.

They took a pig carcass and encased it cement for several weeks to see what would happen to a corpse encased in concrete. IIRC they ended up with a block of concrete with a pig-shaped gap in it. They then used ground penetrating radar at Giants Stadium to demonstrate that there were no Hoffa-shaped gaps in the foundation of the field.

That’s right, as in, “Jethro and Elly Mae are out by the cement pond, feedin’ her critters, Granny.” Hoooooooooo, doggies!

Only if you also think that “bread” is synonymous with “flour.”

OK, I’m sort of resurrecting an old thread, but I thought it was worth noting:

Congratulations, Ale, your post was noticed by Cecil and deemed worthy! Your post triggered today’s column! See: Were “concrete shoes” a favored technique of mob hitmen? - The Straight Dope

Now that this thread has been resurrected can I ask:

Does no-one know where Jimmy Hoffa is?

Or if they do they just aint sayin’

The Department of Justice seemingly does not. They seem to be on a wild goose chase. http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2007Apr04/0,4675,HoffaSearchCost,00.html

Well all I can say is they are not as efficient as Horatio Caine and his team.

They’d have solved his whereabouts in 60 minutes, plus name his killers

Brooklyn’s Petey Crack makes it big!

Cement Shoes, Fabled Anchor to Watery Grave, Surface in Brooklyn
Crime Scene
By MICHAEL WILSON MAY 4, 2016

…Crime historians were mystified, struggling to think of similar cases.

“No,” said Thomas Reppetto, an author of books about organized crime. “Not right offhand.”

Mike Dash, a crime writer in London who has written about Mafia killings, said: “I’ve definitely never heard of this happening before. It’s just one of those stories that goes around. I think you’ve got a first there, by the sounds of things.”

How does a corpse with a 5 gallon block of cement attached “wash up on a manhattan beach”. Can the corpse bloat so much that it can float even with this much weight?

Density of concrete is only 2.4 That is really low. In water that means it is only effectively 1.4. Mixing units. 5 gallons = 20kg. Only needs 20 litres of bloat to offset. That isn’t a lot.

Thats a misnomer then… of course the cement is the powder or liquid form…
After its wet and then becomes solid, then its concrete…

Eh! It’s capisce! Got it, ya botchagalupe? :smiley:

A case from a few days ago: Brooklyn ex-con with money troubles identified as dead man in plastic bag with his feet in concrete