cooking with vegemite!

It’s probably because you found the thread via searching for the word “vegimite” so the board helpfully decides to highlight the word for you in the thread.

Making this one tonight, for the in-laws!

Pot Roast

3 lb beef pot roast
8 potatos
3 large onions
lots of carrots
I cup beef consomme
1 cup spicy V-8
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp MSG
1 tbsp vegemite
olive oil
2 bay leaves

Sear pot roast in olive oil, dump into pressure cooker. Add veggies.
Mix spices and vegemite and liquids in a bowl, stir up good
pour over pot roast and veggies
seal pressure cooker, cook on high for 80 minutes
remove solids, thicken juices with cornstarch if desired to make yummy gravy
serve
add bay leaves

Oh, and add as many mushrooms and cloves of garlic as you like, too.

The more the better I should think. :slight_smile:
The Meijers around here carry Marmite only.
I can’t remember where I got the Vegemite. Wait, actually I think I picked it up at Liquor Barn, of all places.

Just finished the vegemite pot roast. Yum! The meat fell apart, the carrots and onions and mushrooms were infused with flavor, and the gravy was out of this world!

I went easy on the potatos tho. They were yummy but I didn’t need that many carbs!

My mother used to put marmite or vegemite on toast and then melt cheese on it and let it cool so it went crisp.

I keep mightymite in the fridge here because it’s hot and I keep jams and stuff in the fridge. In NZ we never bothered to do so but we also mostly left the butter out of the fridge 'cause it was cold enough in the cupboard. We buy mightymite because it is gluten free unlike vegemite and marmite. It’s not as good as the originals and Mr P, a vegemite devotee from way back refuses to eat it.

Why the fridge? I have never stored mine anywhere except on the kitchen bench. The expiry date on my current jar (I’ve had it since last year) was yesterday but it
is still fine. Isn’t it rock-like out of the fridge because it’s hard to spread in winter if its out on the bench?

Qadgop the Mercotan: I don’t have a pressure cooker. Can the pot roast be made in a slow cooker instead? Also: Are those level tablespoons, or rounded ones? Or is it “Dig out a big dollop with a tablespoon”?

(As I said in the other thread, I’ll be getting a pail of Vegemite next week. But the roast will have to wait until after I make corned beef and cabbage.)

I’m sure a slow cooker would serve, but you really are missing out by not having a nice, modern pressure cooker. Fast recipes, high pressure, the possibility of explosive decompression…

And it’s “Dig out a big dollop with a tablespoon”!

In reference to my own post about “why keep it in the fridge?” a quick poll today revealed that it is no harder to spread and loses some of its yeasty pungency, making it acceptable to more people.

For those following the recipes of Qadgop the Mercotan, without access to Vegemite, Soy Sauce instead of salt works similar wonders in many recipes. You can’t taste it when finished, it just subtly improves the flavours

:smack:
Wow, I feel like a real dope for missing that. Thanks Shalmanese

Pot roast sounds awesome QtM Albertson’s occasionally has rump roast buy one get one free so I’ve got an extra in the freezer. I don’t have a pressure cooker though. Hope I can do without. Probably take twice as long to cook, huh?

Where did you get the idea that Vegemite is a condiment? It’s a spread for bread and toast, and has been all of my 52 years. I know some people add it to their cooking, but then people cook with all sorts of things.

Vegemite sandwiches are an Australian tradition, there would barely be a kid in the country who hasn’t had Vegemite sandwiches in their lunch box the day before payday (some kids like mine have them everyday by choice)

Proof that Vegemite is edible

Poor choice of words on my part. Mayonaise is also a spread, and I consider it a condiment. On the other hand, Vegemite is like peanut butter in that it is the primary ingredient to some sandwiches. If I put Vegemite in a breakfast burrito, I think it falls more into the condiment class than the spread class. (Which just goes to show you how versatile it is! :slight_smile: )

Okay, been a bit busy, so here’s a quick recipe!

Cuppa Vegemite:
1 cup hot water
1 tsp vegemite

Method: Stir vegemite in hot water until it’s dissolved.
Sip and enjoy.

I ordered it late Saturday afternoon. Today my 2.5kg pail o’ Vegemite was in my mailbox. :slight_smile:

And just how long had you been jonesing?

And what’s the first thing you ate it on? (knife, spoon, or finger are acceptable answers!)