Critically Panned Movies That You Love

Ishtar. The poster movie for bad films; it’s actually a fairly entertaining comedy. I’ve seen far worse get raves. In any case, there seems to be a rediscovery of the film over the past few years and you’ll find plenty of defenders.

Woody Allen’s, A Midsummer Night’s Sex Comedy, which people seem to think is a comedy. When you realize it isn’t – it’s a drama about the futility of relationships – it’s pretty damn good.

I never understood the hate for Death to Smoochy, myself. It’s hilarious.

I liked The Postman too, although not as much as the book.

I loved Toys as a teenager - I’ll have to see it again. LL Cool J was awesome in it.

Cutthroat Island. Pirates, man! Swords! Cannons! Treasure! Wenches! Monkey! What’s not to love?

Hannibal. I thought it was gorgeous to look at and creepy and fun in all the right doses. I never got why people hated it so.

My SO loves critically panned movies. Among his favorites are:

Waterworld
The Postman
Cutthroat Island

As for me, I pretty much love any and all Bruce Willis movies, which means there’s several critically panned ones on the list, such as:

The Jackal
Color of Night
The Last Boyscout
Striking Distance
Hudson Hawk (naturally!!)

Van Helsing. Yeah, it’s cheesy, but it’s fun cheese. And Kate Beckinsale is hot.

Volcano. I know the science sucks, I know the odds of something like that happening is infinitesimal, but come on! Tommy Lee Jones - Lava - LA Burning…what’s wrong with that?

I liked it too, although I don’t think it was panned. Roger Ebert gave it 3.5 stars and it’s at 59% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Ha! I can’t believe I didn’t think of this!

I love Heart Condition.

Bulletproof, one of Adam Sandler’s great, underappreciated gems. I can fully understand why the critics hated it - it’s juvenile, it’s raunchy, it’s un-PC in the extreme and it’s so obvious that Sandler and Damon Wayans are really in love with each other here.
But, what can I say? All that appeals to my inner-12-year-old.
Also Moonraker. I thought it had some of the coolest gadgets and one-liners of the series. Yes, the Stars Wars stuff at the end was a bit much, but if it wasn’t for that I’m convinced that this would rank, alongside The Spy Who Loved Me, as the best of the Roger Moore films.

Glad to see I’m not the only one. I really like Van Helsing, despite it’s crazy plot coincidences and so forth.

I love the music in that movie as well. I wish there had been a sequel.
My wife and I really like Daredevil, though the director’s cut is a lot worse. I think Daredevil is a great superhero movie. No idea why people hate it so.

I loved The Whole Nine Yards, and I think it got something like 9% on RottenTomatoes. Of *course *you can see the plot “twists” coming, and of *course *Kevin Pollack’s accent is silly, but it just seemed like the people making it had so much fun with it, and I’m attracted to movies like that. The sequel didn’t appeal to me at all, though.

ETA: Don’t know what I was thinking… it actually got 45%! I’ll still avoid the sequel, I think. Also, I second Daredevil.

Empire Records and Road House. Anyone who really knows me will know when I’m quoting from these.

I also loved *What Dreams May Come *although Robin Williams downplayed that movie like it was so panned.

I’ll always watch Little Nicky and Tank Girl if they’re on. Yeah, they’re kind of stupid and silly, but I love them anyway.

Xanadu

Two by Joel & Ethan:

• Intolerable Cruelty

• The Ladykillers

I think they’re hilarious.

Tank Girl* is great. Lori Petty really was perfect for that role. And good looking too!:smiley:

The Jackal had me right from the title sequence. The song by Massive Attack (don’t know the title) seemed to fit the mood of the movie.

If I recall, most critics really hated Richard Gere’s Irish accent.