D&D – game 2 (Mediaeval English background)

Salazar pushes the hair from his eyes, “Pleased… To meet you… All of you, of course… Now what is this about … An election?”

Crumlin is an ‘Acolyte’ and Salazar can choose a title of either ‘Theurgist’, ‘Ceorl’ or nothing.

I knew the acolyte thing, but what would I call an acolyte in a formal situation? He is above my station right? Would sir be most appropriate, or is there something better? I am assuming that Salazar is more of an equal (correct me if I am wrong) as he is not in the church hierarcy. Are we the type of church that refferers to people as “brothers?” I got the feeling that we are not, but I am not sure.

Details of the language like this help me figure things out, theatre background dontchaknow.

Hans looks about him for the lad with the quick wits and excellent throwing arm.

The English social heirarchy is indeed tricky!
There are complications between upper-class title holders, churchmen, royalty and rich businessmen…

In D&D, it’s even worse, because of the spellcasting classes.
A magician might not outrank a castle owner, but if the MU could Fly overhead with Protection from Missiles and cast Fireball, there’s got to be respect!

So assume that your character level is a good indication of your status…

Level 0 = peasant / apprentice
Level 1 = ceorl (freeman)
Level 2 = citizen (owns property)
Level 3 = craftsman
Level 4 = master craftsman
Level 5 = senior rank in a Guild

and so on

Now Crumlin is an Acolyte level 1 Cleric
You are a Curate level 4 Cleric and therefore outrank him!

You know some of Salazar’s history, so think you two have about equal status.
You can use any honorific that fits into the English-style mediaeval background.
Brother’ is a perfectly respectful way to refer to any member of your Church (well not **High Priestess ** Edith Weston, though!), or any Druid for example.
Sire’ is pretty safe if you don’t know someone who is not in the Church.

Well, Theurgist, there is an election coming for Sheriff of Rutland. I have the honour of being a candidate and my good friend Brother Aciryas is kindly helping me. To be honest, I need all the help I can get!
Would you good folk (he indicates Salazar, Erjg and Hulgfar) care to take some refreshment in the Temple here? (he indicates the Temple of Heimdall, with its tall spire and holy symbol of Heimdall’s horn)

Cullen says, "Cadogan, don’t fear for Marion. She is using her Druid powers to hide. She’ll be back when she is ready.

Now how do we get her elected?"

The lad has reappeared in the mouth of an alley and is grinning at Hans.

[COLOR=Green]No kidding? Wow, my poor guy DOES have some self esteem issues.

Hulgfar bows and says “Welcome”. “Friends of Crumlin come well recommended.”

Im not sure exactly how to handle the Etiquette. I figure the check from 10 seconds ago still holds, but let me know how you want to handle it

Well your character is designed to be … interesting!

And you are roleplaying him well - in fact I feel blessed with the quality of all the players! :cool: :smiley:

You can assume that your Etiquette roll is still well in play.
This is a classic situation (meeting and greeting strangers) and your character knows exactly how to behave.
(After all, he has met all sorts in his journeys, from apprentices to bosuns to ship captains and noblemen.)

Take out copper coin, show, grin back, beckon. If he comes over:

“Lad, this is what the men of law call a ‘retainer’. Might have a use for someone who knows how to throw things and when’s a good time to scarper. Tell me where to find you and this little chappie (indicates coin) might have a friend or two over to play, you follow?”

The lad comes over carefully, keeping an eye on what is going on around him.

Hans fails a CHARISMA roll

The lad says smugly “I know what a retainer is. It’s also a servant of a nobleman. It’s interesting what you can learn at keyholes, if you know what I mean.” :wink:

He looks Hans and his mount up and down carefully and suddenly claps his hands loudly. When Hans’ pony fails to shy away, the lad continues more respectfully
“You ride a well-trained mount, Sire. ‘Appearances can be deceptive’, as someone told me. He also said ‘The labourer is worthy of his hire’, so if you wouldn’t mind showing me the wealthy cousin of that ‘little chappie’, we can do business.”

Cullen, “Cadogan, I am going to head into town to find out more about this election and how to get Marion on the ballot or whatnot. Care to join me?”

There are still some villagers talking to Cullen (he made a real impression!):

• I like your dog; what breed is he?

• this mine job; does it pay well?

Finn Macleod is a Skye Bloodhound. He is exceptionally smart and a great companion.

As to the mine job, it pays in blood, sweat and tears. It pays in black lung and early death, it pays in a poisoning of your local part of Mother Nature, so no it does not pay well.

Catching the wink, Hans puts the copper away and takes out a silver. “The labourer had better be worthy of his hire, if he hopes to be hired another day. I like a lad who knows how to use his wits, mind. Tell me where I can find you after I’ve helped His Nibs get himself settled.” His thumb takes in the good Gawain. “Then we’ll discuss business.”

“Refreshment? Why… Of course… Hm… Election for… What a novel idea…” Salazar wanders, seemingly in a bit of a daze, in the direction indicated for ‘refreshment’.

One villager: “Your dog is great. :slight_smile: … Skye? I’ve heard that name before. Is that the place the Rutland Water falcons come from?”

Another: “Strewth! You mentioned a job investigating mines. Now you say they’re horrible places. :confused: I’m off.”

Third villager: “Did you say Rutland Water? Have you heard about the Rutland Water Beast?! It’s as big as a house!”