Did Elvis Ever Write A Song?

It’s because Elvis, and hence his zombies, LIVES!

Can you recall which one? I’ve seen most of them and I don’t remember this.

That suggests Elvis died which we all know is ridiculous.

It wasn’t the songwriting credit the Colonel demanded it was the publishing rights. The Elvis bio by Peter Guralnick goes into this stuff at length.

The Colonel ALWAYS demanded publishing rights,but as Otis Blackwell can attest, he also demanded songwriting credit when he thought he had enough leverage.

Thanks for the correction; I didn’t have the quote at-hand so was going from memory :slight_smile:

Parker was a huckster at the best of times but in his defense on this one having a Elvis sing a song was a near sure fire hit. As such, everyone made money (except for Elvis who had a incredibly poor, one-sided deal with Parker).

Say what you want about Priscilla but after Elvis’ death she cleaned up the mess Parker had created.

Oh, I’m sure Otis Blackwell figured, “50% of the royalties from a smash hit by Elvis is waaaaay more money than 100% of the royalties to a song nobody will ever hear.” It may have made good business sense to give Elvis undeserved credit fr co-writing “All Shook Up.”

In the same way, Johnny Carson made Paul Anka agree to share composing credit for the “Tonight” theme music, even though Carson had nothing to do with writing it. Anka undoubtedly reasoned that HALF of a fortune was better than ALL of nothing. And by the time Carson retired, Anka, says, royalties for that theme music alone were worth about $800,000 a year.

Wow 800k a year!!

A lot of songwriters sought Presley out because he made them money. The criticism of Presley not writing his own songs is silly. He interpreted them like no one else and he was an entertainer who was enormously successful. He never stole any music like many others he just performed and everyone won.

It was pretty common for pre-Beatles popular singers to not write their own songs. One of the things that made the Beatles unique was that they did write the majority of their own songs. Then other artist decided it was a good idea, until it became the norm.

Right. He went home!