Did you get a (college) class ring? Do you still wear it?

Nope. No interest in getting either a college or high school ring.

Nope; I wasn’t a big fan of the institution to begin with, really. My folks offered to buy me one, but I told them a watch would be better, hence the titanium Citizen on my wrist now in its 13th year of service.

I’ve got a brass rat too. I used to wear it every day, but once we started having kids and I found out how easy it is to get various substances into the details on the ring, I stopped.

Hmm, now that they’re out of diapers, maybe I’ll dig it up…

At the time, my mom worked for a jewelry company that made school rings, championship rings, etc. So her company made a custom college ring for me, which they used in a presentation to get my university’s account. I don’t think they got the account but I got to keep the ring.

Ah, thanks for saving me some typing. Same for me. :o

The class ring was a big deal at my (small, Catholic) high school, so I got one then. I’m pretty sure I have it, somewhere. By the time I was done with college, I suppose I associated it with teenage stuff. Then again, my college (UT - hook 'em!) didn’t make a big to-do about them either, so there really didn’t seem to be any point.

Besides, at that time in my life I was spending every spare cent I had on [del]booze and pot[/del] erm [del]hookers and blow[/del] uh, books and eyeglasses.

I got a college class ring. Rather than the traditional class ring (with the big cabochon jewel on top), I got a different design, with my school’s seal on it (it looked a lot like a signet ring).

I had it for about 7 or 8 years, and lost it one day – I’d taken it off and put in my pocket for some reason, and later on, I discovered that the pocket was empty. My suspicion was that, earlier in the day, when I’d gone over to a currency exchange to get a renewal sticker for my wife’s license plates, I’d gone into that pocket to pull something out, and the ring got pulled out as well, and fell to the floor. I checked back at the currency exchange, but no one had turned in a ring (big surprise there).

Still sad about that – it was a cool ring. A few years ago, I looked into having a replacement made by Jostens (the original manufacturer), but, as far as I could tell, that design was no longer made.

I got one and still wear it. Mine isn’t a traditional class ring with stuff carved all over it. It’s a plain ring with a plain stone that happens to be a traditional class ring for my alma mater. I doubt anyone who didn’t go to my college, or even many who did, have any clue that it’s a class ring.

I have a university ring. St. Francis Xavier University (Antigonish Nova Scotia) makes a REALLY big deal of the X-Ring.

Big chunky gold thing, with a big black “X” in the middle of it.
I wear it every now and then.

Never had that problem with my brass rat. I do get dirt in it when in the garden, but it cleans right up.
And I’m very glad that when I got mine gold was still $35 an ounce. Probably the best investment I ever made.
My impression is that a far greater percentage of MIT grads wear brass rats than any other college. The responses to this thread seem to support this.

Well, undergrads at least. :smiley:

No, I have small hands and the rings look ridiculously oversized on me. I don’t wear rings in general anymore since I have to put them on and off constantly for working out, martial arts, tools and fixing things at home, etc.

I did. I worked hard to get through college and was very proud of the achievement. I wore it for a much longer time than I did my high-school ring.

But for me, there comes a time past which a man should wear a school ring, and so I gave it up a few years after getting it. I’m not sorry I bought it - and actually I like the style. I would wear something very much like it if I found one.

My wife got me my college ring, about 15 years after graduation. I’m of mixed feelings about it – it’s a bit embarrassing, as a piece of garish jewelry; but I’m proud of my alma mater and my association with it.

I wear it to work, and on weekend formal events.

High school, yes: college, no. The high school ring was really special: it was my first expensive ring because I was the first person in my branch of the family to graduate high school. I wore it until I got engaged, and I can’t wear it on any other finger.

The scary thing: my kids brought home paperwork for class rings. Junior High class rings. I said no.

The women’s styles are smaller, thank goodness, but they’re still blinged out like crazy most of the time. I found a simple one that doesn’t scream “class ring” and put in a transparent stone so it wouldn’t look showy. I wore it every day for years, but for some reason I’d feel silly putting it back on now.

I put my high school ring on a necklace chain. I still have it. I loved my high school. Best place I ever went to.

I don’t know if my college has class rings. I guess I’ll find out when I graduate (which, at my current rate of progress, is going to be in about ten years :D).

I have my high school one, but I really don’t see how the investment is worth it in college. I’ve got several friends who have them here, and our school is fairly well-known, but…eh, it’s hard to sell it on myself, after seeing how pointless the high school ring feels.

I think I’d much rather put that sort of money towards grad school or getting out own my own.

Ann Ominous–yeah, the whole “let’s give the little kids a middle school ring” is kinda freaky. I remember them trying to push it on us though.

I almost bought one today for the University of Michigan when I was buying my cap and gown for graduation. It was $600!! So I passed. I did splurge on the frame for my degree though, as I always do.

My brother is very protective of his MIT and Andover rings, even though he claims he loathes MIT.

I still like my college ring but developed some kind of allergy to it.

I had a college ring. Gave it to a gf. Never saw it again after we broke up. :frowning:

Never, Ever give a girl your class ring. :smack: