Did your parents tell you Santana was real when you were little?

My parents didn’t have much to say about popular music in general when I was growing up.

Though my mother did get quite annoyed once when “Mother’s Little Helper” came on the radio.*

*true story.

What a drag it is gettin’ old. :smiley:

Forget Santana, who else here believes in the Black Magic Woman?

they might have used persuasion to try to get you to believe.

I was already in my early 20s when Santana came to be. By then, if my parents had any opinion, I would have ignored it anyway.

I thought Tito Santana was cool, and my family never told me that WWF Wrestling wasn’t “real”… I had to learn that on the playground.

I thought he was just Peter Green in dark makeup.

I was taught that Santana was Satan’s music, delivered by Santa.

That’s how I knew Santa was real. Why would my mom give me Satan’s music for Christmas?

I learned about Santana on my own. This was for the best.

My parents never told me about Santana. I had to find out on my own.

In fact, the thought of my mother listening to Jingo, or Soul Sacrifice, is just a bit too weird for me to contemplate…

:smiley: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Other people told me Santana was real!

They outright told me she wasn’t real. She’s only an actress named Naya Rivera, and…

What?

Oh. Never mind.

My parents didn’t want us believing in Santana. They thought we’d feel betrayed when we learned he wasn’t real, and they wanted a chance to screw us up with bigger parental betrayals right off the bat. But really, how they could predict Supernatural all the way back in the late 70s, I’ll never know.

Santana did not form until I was older.* :smiley:

My parents never told me about the Wonder that is Santana. I learned from a friend who learned from her uncle. Her parents didn’t approve of her uncle, who was the rebel of the family, so we had to hide our new found knowledge from them. My parents thought it was a phase and a vast improvement over the Osmonds and Bobby Sherman. Little did they know it would lead me down the road to Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin and the Prince of Darkness HImself, Ozzy.

My god yes. I heard Peter Green and thought “good lord, Santana owes him a career…”

Then there’s that mythical Santa Anna guy.

I don’t think he ever existed. It’s a Texan fairy tale.

*If NOT, do you feel your childhood was enriched or diminished? *

Definitely diminished. Worse than diminished! Not only did my parents never tell me about Santana, but I was shocked and humiliated one day due to my lack of knowledge. One day on an interminable plane flight, this cute guy sitting next to me and this quiet older guy sitting across the aisle from me on the other side kept having these annoying giggling girls come up from the rear of the plane to ask them for autographs. I asked who they were, and they asked if I knew the band Santana, and I HADN’T EVER HEARD OF THEM! :eek:

(Carlos was the quiet one. Nice guy, but didn’t have too much to say to a clueless 15 year old girl who’d never heard of him. His brother to my right never stopped talking for 9 hours, but he was a nice guy, too, and never creeped on me, so I liked him.)

I’m grabbing a bag of sultana raisins and watching how this thread goes…