Difference in law enforcement divisions

I think that’s one of the reasons why when there’s a major event in London such as 7/7 things seem to be handled more smoothly than in the US. The London police seem to be quite good communicating with the London police.

Considering that the City of London Police is surrounded by the Metropolitan Police Service who is responsible for policing within the Greater London area, I should hope so.

When I was going to school at Texas A&M, we had some occasion for meeting some of the University Police officers (Aka the “Campus Cops”), I think during one of the orientation things I went to (there was the required weekend orientation during the summer for incoming freshmen, the week-long “Fish Camp” that incoming freshmen could opt in for, and then there was Freshman Orientation Week, which was a mandatory thing for incoming ROTC Cadets at that school).

Anyhow, it was mentioned that the Texas A&M University Police not only had jurisdiction on the Texas A&M campus, but could actually do law enforcement anywhere in Brazos County, as well as anywhere in any county that contained a Texas A&M University campus or facility, which was a substantial portion of Texas. That said, in practice, they tended to work with whoever would normally have jurisdiction, although we did sometimes see them working traffic accidents near campus if they were able to respond faster than the College Station PD. It sounds weird that a college would have its own government sanctioned police department, but Texas A&M (and I’d imagine a great many other major universities) has something in the range of 50,000 faculty and students on campus during the day, including the several thousand students who live in the dorms and any random person who can wander onto the campus and potentially cause trouble.

Then you have law enforcement on military bases. I’ve seen law enforcement done by Military Police/Security Forces types, civilian police officers either assigned to the military police units or comprising their own on-base PDs, and even civilian security contractors who work the gates and fences. The different branches of the military also have their own internal versions of the FBI, such as Air Force OSI, Army CID, and Navy CIS (made famous by the highly entertaining and probably not overly realistic TV show: NCIS).

Major universities aren’t the only schools with police departments. Many ordinary public school districts have full-on police departments. I would imagine that A&M Consolidated ISD, which serves the College Station Area, has a police force. My own small-town school district has one police officer which we share with the municipal police department.

Oddly enough, at least in my home state of Louisiana, Game Wardens probably have the most power of any law enforcement agents. They have too because they need to trespass land at will and confront groups of people in the middle of nowhere who are likely armed and about to be in big legal trouble. They can also confiscate and destroy property at their discretion. From what I hear, they have similar powers in other states. I have only had one run-in with one for a minor fishing offense in New Hampshire and it wasn’t fun.

My younger brother was a campus police officer at LSU (Louisiana State University) until he joined the Coast Guard recently. They are fully armed and trained police officers with jurisdiction over the entire state. He was the head of the canine unit and he had to unleash the dogs often on people and to do drug searches. LSU is a minor city in its own right but Tulane, where I went to college, had a true police force on its own as well.