Disposable Razors-The Good, The Bad, and The Bloody

One word: laser. With your hair colour and texture (IIRC from when I met you), you would be a perfect candidate for it. You wouldn’t have to get a full removal, but a couple of treatments (probably $125-$150 total) would beat the hair down enough that you might be able to cut your shaving time and effort by 2/3 to 3/4, and you wouldn’t have nearly the trouble with razors.

Gillette Good News Pivot Plus is the only razor anyone in my family will use. I don’t know how they work for guys but I can use the same one for several weeks to shave my legs every day. After that they work but it’s not as smooth. Just about every other razor feels like that from the beginning though.

You need a 12-pack on a trip? :confused:

ETA: For clarification, I’m getting the impression that disposables are being purchased in bulk for home use. What I’d like to try to understand is why that would be preferable to purchasing disposable blades.

For clarification, if you wish to debate the use of disposable blades vs. disposable razors you are invited to start a thread for that purpose. This thread is for discussing disposable razors.

Oh Grand Exalted Emperor of Sarcasm, please explain why you couldn’t just buy some disposable razors if you forgot your razor on a trip.

That is what we are talking about-which disposable razors to buy, and which to avoid.

I don’t particularly want to debate it. Just wanted to comprehend why disposables were preferred for home use. If you don’t feel the need to explain, whatever. ::shrug::

FWIW, I use disposable blades (Mach some#) and I wasn’t aware that disposable razors were inferior in practical use to disposable blades. It looks like the Titaniums that were recommended upthread are available in both disposable form and reusable handle/replacement blade. The blades do not appear to be different between the two types. Is this incorrect?

What I want to know specifically is this: Is there a practical difference between the blades of a disposable razor and reusable one that uses blade cartridges?

I think my posts must be coming across as judgey and I don’t mean that. I’m really just curious from a practical standpoint.

I haven’t found a disposable that is heavy enough. The thin plastic head is so light it glides and skips over my face missing most of the beard. I need something with a bit of bulk and weight.

In this case you were explaining why you didn’t use a razor with replaceable blades, my Liege.

I use the Gillette Good News disposable razors, the blue ones that come in a 12-pack. I only have to shave every other day, and one razor lasts two weeks. Actually, that’s just the timetable I go by; I’ve used them for longer with no ill effects. I’m not sure if this makes a difference in their life, but I only buy the ones without that slime strip on them, which I can’t stand.

Of the half dozen + or so non-electric razors I have tried none has worked better than (generic) BIC single blade sensitive skin disposables.

I buy the generics rather than the BIC brand, a pack of 12 costs $1 at the dollar store. I always throw them out after one use, they only cost me $0.09 each.

I can’t remember all the razors I have tried. Mach 3, quattro, fusion, tracer, single blade, double blade disposables, etc. None cut as cleanly with as few nics as the BIC sensitive skin single blade.

It even cuts well w/o a shower first. I used to have to wait to shave until after I had showered so the water would soften my facial hair (if I shaved w/o a shower beforehand I’d cut myself and rip hairs out of my face with other razors). With the generic BIC I can just use warm water on a washcloth.

I’ve tried quite a few disposable razors and disposable razor cartridges and I have found that not a single one of them was worth the money. I’d get one shave out of the razor, two or three out of a cartridge. So I got a Merkur safety razor and I use double sided Derby Extra blades. I get about two weeks of good shaves out of a blade and they cost me less than 10 cents each.

So, to answer the question, avoid all of the disposables.

Bic single blades, You can really press on them and go over an area multiple times without cutting or damaging your skin.

I have tried various disposables, Gillette Mach 3, and Wilkinson Sword Quattro, and I am now convinced that for me, Bic single blade disposables give me the best combination of a decent shave and value for money. I tend to shave once every two days on average, and I get 3-4 shaves out of each Bic. I found the multi-bladed razors gave a few more shaves but nowhere near enough to justify their price.

Of course, everyone will have a different answer because everyone’s skin and stubble are different - for example, I find electric razors do not work at all well for me.

I use the Gillette Custom Plus Pivot which is very similar to the Gillette Good News Pivot Plus but it just feels better to me. Could be all in my head though. They usually last me about a week and a half. I bought a 52 pack at Sam’s for $23.

Thought I’d bump with an update.

So I got those disposable Quattro Titaniums for traveling only and used the Mach 3 at home. We both HATE the Fusion; it somehow tugged and pulled at my hair and he didn’t feel that it gave as close of a shave as the Mach3.

I ran out of the Quattros and needed a new bag of disposables. My little brother’s girlfriend is half Mexican (so, just as hairy as little bro and I are) and she swears up and down for what Nars Glinley suggested: the Gillette Custom Plus Pivot. They rang up incorrectly at the grocery store so I got 'em for free. :smiley: I wasn’t expecting much at all.

I was stunned to discover that I prefer them over the Mach3. For legs & underarms they’re absolutely great. He slightly prefers the Custom Plus Pivots on his face to the Mach 3. Can’t beat the price, either. $7 for a pack of 10 around here, I think the Mach 3 blades run at least $2 a pop. They probably last 75% as long but are 1/3 the cost. We wipe the blade with an alcohol swab and store it outside the bathroom to make it last longer, just as we’ve always done this for the Mach 3.

He has a moderate preference for shaving his junk with the non-disposable Mach 3 and I a slight preference for shaving my bikini line with the Mach 3 as well. His reasoning was “the Mach 3 has the best pivoting head I’ve found in a region where I need it to fit to the contours”.

I’ve always gone with whatever twin-blade looked like a good value at the time. 3+ blades always seemed like marketing overkill (can’t wait for the Schick Dec-a-Shave) but I have recently decided to up the ante to triple blades after having some less than stellar twin-blade experiences. I still doubt I’ll ever be brand loyal however.

Are you talking about the powered Mach 3 and Fussion or manual versions? The powered ones are suppose to feel like they’re tugging. I’ve only used the powered Mach 3 and prefer it because it doesn’t cut me.

I can’t go back to twin blades. The 3 or 4 blades are so much softer, and they last forevah!

They last even longer if you strop them or whatever it’s called. When it starts pulling at your skin, find some blue jeans and run the blade backwards over the jean a couple of times. It smooths out the edges of the blades and you get a bunch more shaves.