Do cats die if you put razors in their eyes?

Sorry. I forgot all about this thread, and then they moved it on me.

Anyway, it’s a rather complicated issue. If we assume we are dealing with red lasers at the typical diode laser wavelength of about 680 nm, then the 30,000 second figure expressed in your camera’s manual means the laser is not capable of exceeding the Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) for a laser of this wavelength of about 30 x 10[sup]-6[/sup] mW/cm[sup]2[/sup], as measured at the cornea (see Table III:6-6 here - PDF document). However, this is not a class rating, but an exposure rating, and applies to all laser classes. It is dependent only upon wavelength. Your manual is incorrect in this regard. The class is based upon a figure called Accessible Emission Limit (AEL):

Since your camera’s laser focussing system is rated for 30,000 seconds of exposure (occupational exposure, i.e., approximately 8 hours, the length of a typical workday), the average power as measured at the cornea cannot exceed 0.128 uW. Your camera can meet this specification, since the beam is dispersed. Other devices, such as laser printers, can only meet the specification for Class I if the beam is entirely contained within the device and protected by interlocks, as I stated earlier. So, you get partial credit.

However, no laser pointer can possibly meet the Class I specification. It’s not possible.

Ahh. I stand corrected.

That sounds like a challenge. :wink:

/scurries off to mad-scientist lab

I am NOT looking at that link.

I just have to say that this comment inspired me to tell every member of my immediate family about this thread, just to use your punchline. And we have all laughed and laughed and laughed.

I’m sure even the cats would have laughed, had they been able.

The anti-rejection drugs are pretty expensive… :smiley: