Do They Sell Day Old Bread and Cakes In Your Area

Same thing at Former Employer. At one store we did donate the day olds pulled on the weekends for a church-sponsored food pantry, but at the other stores, scanning/tossing was the norm.

nods I was told once that it’s cheaper for the store to take the loss on them than it was to either have a day-old rack or donate them.

This happened at Former Employer when I was a PT clerk. One of my duties was to scan/pack up everything for donation. One morning I was told just to scan/toss something like 4-5 carriages of perfectly good product. I was too shocked to say anything.

Current Employer donates everything. If the day old isn’t picked up by 10AM, it heads for the compactor. Customers, by and large, are happy that it’s donated, but we have a few who still simmer and vent about us not having a day-old rack.

We have a Hostess outlet nearby that I frequent.

The local Wal Mart has the aforementioned “rolling rack” where they sell baked goods that are near their expiry date.

My favorite local supermarket even does a similar deal with meats. In the meat case, I look for steaks, chops, chicken, everything, with yellow tags. Those tags mean the meats are approaching their “sell-by” dates and are marked down.

One time, I was in the store just as the store employee was slapping the yellow tags on stuff. I really cleaned up that day! :cool:

You can get some great bargains in the ‘day old cream cake’ section of my local bakery, if you’re not proud or fussy. :slight_smile:

A lot of the breads and snack pastries at the grocery are there on consignment. The BunnyBread, Hostess, Little Debbie, Pepperidge Farm, whatever delivery guy comes in on a daily or several times a week basis and re-stocks the racks, pulls the stuff that will be out of date before the next delivery and takes them back to the warehouse where they go to the Bakery Thrift StoresTM.

The store is charged for the inventory sold and a re-stocking fee. Most of the time, the distributor pays the store a fee for placement as well (you want a good slot to stock the RingDings? $$$ or we place the Twinkies there).

So in short, for baked goods, most of the time, they are not the store’s inventory to donate or put on the day old rack. This goes for chips and other bagged snacks too.

This does differ for in-house baked goods.

A local coffeehouse wraps day-old scones, muffins, etc. in cling film and sells them at a discount under a sign that says: “Born Yesterday”.
I just think that’s so cute for some reason! :slight_smile:

heh, I never thought about that. In my current location, I have never locked my vehicle at work or home, neither do any of my employees. When I go tho the mall, I would probably lock my car, but it is a soft-top so a thief just has to undo velcro to get in, so why bother?

I am still in the habit of locking my car since it’s relatively new, but there’s really no reason to here, at work or at home. I’ve finally gotten out of the city habit of locking my front door, and it’s much more convenient to let myself in if I am carrying anything.

Technicaly passing through, I work in Indy but live in Whiteland.

Norine, move to Japan! You’d be in hog heaven. Every night at about the same time, clerks go throughout the store and slap yellow tags on meat, bread, and prepared foods. Breads usually were fairly early, like 6pm. This was on every piece of store-baked breads, which is about 90% of what they sold. If you wait until 9pm you get the real savings when the savings go to about 30%. What surprised me is that there wasn’t a big rush of customers to get these bargains.

I don’t recall seeing quantities of day old bread for sale at the big grocery stores (Tesco, Waitrose) here in England, but Tesco may have a loaf or two on the refrigerated clearance shelf with the old packaged meats, yogurts, and refrigerated meals. Then again, lazy customers may have abandoned them there. I don’t go down that aisle very often.