Do you call it "Autumn" or "Fall" (and what's it called in non-English languages?)

Just a hijack, and I don’t mean to single you out, but why, when anglophones mention French nouns, do they always put an article there as well? I know French uses articles more frequently than English, but it always brings to my mind “France” as seen in Warner Bros. cartoons where you can find signs like “Le Zoo” or somesuch.

In English, I usually say “fall”.

In Hebrew, it’s “stav”. I’m not sure about the etymology.

In English, I usually say “fall”.

In Spanish it’s otoño; in Catalan, tardor (something like “the late time”). It’s an inusual pair in that often when Spanish and Catalan words have clearly-different origins, the Catalan word is straight from Latin and the Spanish word is from elsewhere.

Midwestern Doper:

Autumn and Fall are interchangable in my local dialect

Autumn is probably a bit more formal - if you’re getting married in October, you’re getting married this autumn.

If you’re considering the upcoming college football season, it’s the fall season

But both work in either case.

I use autumn when I want to sound proper, and fall otherwise.

ETA: You guys have really got to stop doing that. It’s getting freaky.

I read that as “when I want to sound doper” :smiley:

Admittedly, my Russian isn’t great, but wouldn’t it be OH-sen or OH-syen? Where is the “ee” sound coming from in the second syllable?

Autumn is the event, fall is the season. At least to me.

Autumn is the changing of the leaves, The crunch of them under foot. Autumn is the ripening of the wheat, the smell in the air, and the feeling it all engenders.

Fall is when it happens.

Can you guess my favourite season?

Autumn, always, but then I’m British so ‘fall’ isn’t part of my dialect. We only see it on US TV or in advertising for US holidays: ‘New England in the Fall’, kinda thing).

I’d always assumed all Americans called it ‘fall’. Hmm, ignorance fought!

Additional question: do you ever use the term ‘autumnal’? We use it a lot to describe the weather, or a scene, e.g. “it’s feeling a little autumnal today”.

As SanVito above. UK resident here and we pretty much never use “Fall” in normal conversation.

Incidentally, “autumnal” is a lovely word and can be used to describe a day succinctly and poetically.

“winterish” “springish” “Summery” “fallish” and variations thereof don’t cut the mustard do they?

Autumn is such an ugly word…

In English I use either, but probably “fall” more often.

In Norwegian, the word for that season is høst, which also means harvest. Very sensible, I think.

As an Australian I say Autumn. I thought teaching US English in Japan I would have to say “Fall” but they seem to use Autumn when teaching English here for some reason.

In Thai, Autumn is (Rue Du) Bai Mai Ruang (sorry for the shitty transliteration). Literally “(season) leaf tree fall”.

But Thailand doesn’t actually have Autumn because seasons are different there - hot, rainy and cool seasons only.

I’m Australian too and I don’t ever hear “fall”, we always say “autumn”. In my experience you’d get funny looks if you suddenly referred to the season as “fall” (unless of course you were American), it’s considered an Americanism like “sidewalk” or “vacation”.

I’d say even most English-speaking countries don’t have this problem - fall is an American word. :slight_smile:

(Aussie dittoing the previous two posts)

As with the Aussies, here in the Britain we use autumn exclusively.

What? I sometims wonder why “Spring” is only one syllable, when the other three seasons (Summer, Autoumn and Winter) are two–Annie-Xmas, wordsmith.

In English I use autumn, in Swedish (as in Norwegian) it’s höst, but unlike in Norwegian it has lost the meaning of harvest except in some very special contexts.

Because that’s how we’re taught French. In English, a noun’s gender isn’t gramatically relevant, but in French it’s a vital piece of information. So every noun is learnt with its article so that we can learn its gender at the same time. Of course, in this case, the article doesn’t help reveal the gender, but it’s still a reflex action to give article + noun.

It’s an American word now, but it’s my understanding that “fall” is the original English word, and was retained in America after there was a shift to using “autumn” in Britain. Looking a cite, Wikipedia agrees with me, but there’s no cite for it. Hmm. I can’t remember where I heard that originally.