Do you get mad at video games?

Hey, complaining about the end of Halo2 is one thing… But remember when games didnt have endings, they just repeated levels? I remember old amstrad or commodore games, platform titles with twenty screens or so. You would bust your balls getting to screen twenty… here it comes, ten years old and my first completed game… Oh. Right back at screen one. Continue in a loop, ad infinitum. Imagine if that happened in todays games? Murders. There would be fucking murders.
I do get mad at games… shit, I get mad at everything. Super monkey ball… Dont talk to me.

The one thing that I do hate about games is, mainly, the controller design. Since the playstation 1 controllers are mainly of the two-fork variety. Sits comfortably in your hand, yes? Unfortunatly, whenever a game screws you royally, it takes but a simple wrist twist (with the added foot pounds of pressure that you can only muster after the end of level boss that you had down to a pixel of energy transforms into a nuclear battlestation complete with a thousand homing missiles) to snap that controller into two.

I lose most of my controllers this way.

in reference to Gta (any of them) I think you guys are suffering some delusions here. the “cheat” where you are in need of a car and there are none to be found crops up while driving around doing nothing at all ALOT.

I used to call it the Vanilla Sky effect because it reminded me of the early scene where there was noone around in the whole city.

I think this is the crux of my problem. I’m actually mad at myself because I subconsciously feel that I should be able to beat any game; it’s just a damn computer, after all. Never mind that there are chess programs that play at Kasparov’s level. Or that some games are tweaked for the reflexes of a teenager (which I’m far from being).

I’ve had exactly this thought before. But on some deeper level, I’m still having fun, however angry I get. It’s a weird dichotomy.

I think the only time I actually destroyed a piece of hardware was when Slime Volleyball cost me a keyboard. Anyone who’s played it (Google it if you’re interested) will know what I mean.

Ah…the No Fucking Way drive. I HATES me some of that. You’ll shut out the computer and be stomping it down…and then…you an’t sotp them. There’s NOTHING you can do to stop them. They just slowly melt through your defense and score on you. If you hold them to a field goal, it’s all (relative) gravy.

The worst is when your blitz gets picked up and you KNOW what side of the field has the worse coverage…then you watch Favre dodge a tackle or two and ump fake, then throw to the side that has the worse coverage. Ah, yes…the feeling of ineptitude when you put the controller down when the ball is in midair because f you hit a button, you’ll mess up the AI controlled defensive back.

Then you get to watch your All-Pro cornerback flail his arm helplessly as the ball gets completed and you give up an 86 yard TD in overtime.

Nope, never happened to me.

I try to avoid video games that frustrate me, but most recently I did find myself grating at the unfairness of the AI in Dynasty Warriors 5 - no matter which side I support, my allies are always f*ing incompetent, and my enemies l33t kickass warriors.

Fortunately, I’ve learned to anticipate some of the more annoying aspects of the game, so I’ve prevented a lot of grief by taking the initiative.

I still hate those f*ing arbalests, though. shakes fist

Total War: Medieval really wanted to screw me over like this. I’d start off as Spain, Buy off some rebels, then start churning out Crusades. They give you fun, nifty, otherwise-untrainable soldiers for Crusades…how fun! So I get my boats around the globe, dominate trade and have the never-ending crusade all the way until the Mongols come around. That’s one HELL of a fight, I tells ya. Definitely need a few spare hours to finish it up, that’s for sure. So, I beats the Mongols, and am looking like Superfly TNT and get most of the known universe under my grasp. Then…I get to the last few provinces (almost always the Papal states…I don’t like getting excommunicated if I can help it) and I get widespread, global, devastating rebellion. Whatthefuckareyoutalingabout…I controlled these lands for 200 years!! How can my homeland rebel on me??

Yeah, I still don’t know what you’re talking about…ahem

One of the ‘rules’ of the game is, depending where you are, what time of day it is, what you happen to be driving, will determine what vehicles are around. If you’re in the country, you’re likely to see mostly tractors, RV’s & the occasional Harley. I can handle that. If you’re not on a mission and you jump out of your flaming car, the game will deny you a replacement in the direction you’re looking. But if you stand in the middle of the road, a vehicle will pull up behind you.

It’s not what the rest of us are talking about though. You’re on a mission, you bail, but before you bailed you used your rearview and saw six cars behind you. Once you bail those six cars dematerialized. Nuh-uh! That’s cheatin’!

I’m glad Xbox Live doesn’t work at my school. Not only would the GPA drop campus-wide, but our troupe of 30 people that play Halo2 on system link would be eternally pissed. Not to mention that I’d only play with about…oh…4 of them.

I was a wrecking ball on Live when it came to Halo2. I win 6 on 1 games on system link (50 to 15 was a good night). I get bitched at so many times on system link. I LOVE being That Guy. I LOVE it when do something absurd and kill the other team and hear them all bitching at me.

It’s good to be the king.

By the way, invoking the jetpack in GTA is cheating. You’re just trying to defend it.
If there are no cars around (and I KNOW what you’re talking about…it’s definitely a hyper-bitch to deal with), you keep on truckin’, take the alleys, and play on. Cheat codes are cheat codes. They’re not in games to be used, they’re in games to enhance it.

Just because salt exists doesn’t mean you put it in every dish you make.

That kind of crap happens on Tiger Woods too. When you get way up there you can score -40 or so in a tournament. Well about half way through the year the computer starts scoring that good too. Yesterday I was playing, I was at -30 or so, the next guy started out around the same. Half way through he was at -20?! then a couple of holes later he was at -35?!? Then he ended up at -40. Must be nice to be able to shoot so well when I land a shot a foot from the hole and three putt.

I’ve been getting mad a Guitar Hero, while there’s no cheating, I can’t get through a couple of songs and I’ve been trying for weeks. Some days I get 90% through, the next 9%. Damn Cowboys from Hell.

Making all the cars disappear is cheating. Invoking a jetpack is counter-cheating, which I freely admit to. It’s not like I invoked the “instantly pass this mission” cheat.

The balloon side games in FFX. I was screaming at the damned birds that kept throwing me off in the balloon collecting game. :eek: And I did a Snoopy dance when I finally, finally beat that game after about three days. :eek:

More generally – I’ll groan and metaphorically throw popcorn at the screen when the characters in a game do stupid things. It’s like – “No! Don’t run off alone into the dark room where there’re gates that’ll clunk down and TRAP YOU with the boss!” Sheesh. :smiley:

Things that steamed me to no end over the years:

Ridiculously stingy timers, particularly for racing games. I can’t tell you how many times I was all alone in third or fourth, in the homestretch, nothing but daylight in front, just flat-out breezing…and boom, time’s up, race over. Sega was particularly egregious for this (although they’ve finally learned).

Randomness in games where you cannot flippin’ afford randomness. Bust a Move (Puzzle Bobble) ring a bell? Pure luck as to whether you’ll get a color that matches anything you can hit. DOZENS of levels busted by this. And don’t get me started on how you can finish all 100 stages of Dead or Alive 2’s Survival Mode without getting the one randomly-dropping item you need for the new costume.

Ham-handed falling deaths. I don’t mind the risk of falling when it’s intelligently implemented and doesn’t completely overshadow the level (Castlevania was good with these). But when the entire freaking level is a yawning pit bridged by tiny bits of land, with enemies that knock you into oblivion swarming everywhere…ugh. Bad, bad, bad.

Extremely remote checkpoints, especially in games with a bazillion ways to die. Nothing like replaying the same 20 feet over and over and over, huh? Konami’s notorious for this, but just about every company with a scrolling game had this dubious feature.

Nightmarishly difficult and madness inducing required missions, especially ones which don’t fit the game at all. I remember this one Grand Theft Auto: Vice City mission that required me to pilot the clumsiest, weakest, flimsiest airplane in the history of aviation through eight scattered points at various altitudes. Within a time limit. Needless to say, I had no reservations about trashing that game after that.

And of course, the nonstop BS storm. I’m looking at you, Defender of the Crown. Jesus Christ on a barded horse, every turn of that game had some horrible calamity happening to my kingdom. “Rival lord raids your treasury!” “Vikings slaughter home castle defenders!” “Danes take away one of your territiories!” “Rival lords steal taxes!” “Bumbling Zulu explorers knock down one of your castles!” “Half your knights mysteriously desert for no reason!” If there was a redeeming quality to that game, I’m unaware of it.

I got my Codebreaker a long time ago, and I use it without the slightest twinge of remorse. I’m through being played for a sap. They cheat, I cheat.

dotchan - There are some excellent guides on www.gamefaqs.com if you want detailed help. Above all else, this is the one ironclad law of DW5: Never stop working. If you see an enemy base, take it out. If an enemy general is near you, take him out. If you see an enemy checkpoint, capture it. If one of your friendly generals is being swarmed, help him. Defend your commander if he’s in danger (and your base if that’s also a requirement); once he’s safe, move on to the nearest threat. Watch out for ambushes and reinforcement units (which pop up all over the place in this game), and if it has high morale and/or is making a move on your commander/base, get over there and wipe it out. You should never, ever rest easy and put the controller down; every minute should be fighting, moving to the fight, or analyizng the situation and seeing what to do next. Sometimes a situation which looks okay one minute can turn extremely ugly the next, and when it does, you’re the only one who can make things right again. The only way to win is to level the field, take the advantage, and then press the advantage. Remember that.

There are certain instances where you have to be at this place or take out this general or that base to make things easier, but these aren’t common. Check the guides if you need details.

That reminds me of Tomb Raider, the Angel of Darkness for the PS2. Your character learns to jump. Let’s say the jump is one meter. You practice. You get good at jumping. You hit it perfectly, every time. A one-freaking-meter-jump.

Then you end up in a molten lava cavern and you have to jump. If the next platform is one meter in front of you, guess what your jump does? Either 1/2 meter, and you plunge to your death, or 1 and 1/2 meters, and you plunge to your death.

Cheating!

Don’t get me started on falling and ladders. Trying to negotiate the damn ladders has killed me more times than all the enemies put together. An argument could be made that ladders are the deadliest enemies in FPSes. There was even a nod to this in a game - Deus Ex or NOLF 2? - where at one point you come upon a corporate memo that says that falling deaths have decreased 40% since ladder cages were added.

I just spent an hour playing COD2. The only beef I have with that is how stupid my NPC teammates can be; they’ll stand right in front of my aim just as I’m about to snipe a “Jerry”. Down in front! Just like in previous COD iterations, you can usually “melee attack” your squadmates with the butt of your rifle to get them out of the way, but sometimes you get busted for “friendly fire” if you accidentally kill them this way.

Hm, I wonder…if people are using cheat codes a lot, then will they make games harder (or more cheat-y?) to overcompensate? Or will they still make games for people like me who are too n00by to mess with codes?

Personally, I only own three PS2 games and only play one of them a lot (Lego Star Wars). I guess it’s for kids, but it’s pretty hard! Well, not hard exactly, but some bits can be quite challenging. I never would have gotten through all the levels if it weren’t for game guides. I’m still using them to locate some of the more-hidden lego canisters.

I did get nearly violent with it twice - and mostly out of embarassment (if this is made for kids, why can’t I do it??!!). The first when I couldn’t land this particular Jar-Jar jump to snag a lego cannister. I tried what seemed like hundreds of times and finally started a CS thread to get some help. In the end I bought Grievous and he was able to do it.

Another time, another jumping issue. In one of the Episode III levels you have to pull out these platforms and jump on them, but they only stay out a short time before retracting. The angle was all weird so it was hard to aim properly, and sometimes my guy would go right through the platforms! Eventually I managed to land one.

My concern is if I can get so frustrated over a kids game, I can’t imagine even trying one for grown-ups…

Unless you count rapid-fire lockout in a number of games (which I find annoying, although not as maddening as the items I mentioned), I seriously doubt that any designer has ever attempted to compensate for the benefits of third-party devices. It’d be a hopeless cause, anyway…Infinite Life, to give one example, means just that, and throwing in ten or ten thousand more foes won’t make a dent.

For the most part, designers have set the difficutly to roughly what the typical gamer is capable of. It’s just that video games have been around so long, and players have gotten so unbelievably good (go check out the Golden Tee Golf rankings or any internet ranking and prepare to be blown away) that the baseline’s a lot higher than it once was. You’d be amazed as to what some players consider to be “too easy” (too easy for them = a serious workout for me to pass, and with much lower results). On top of that, systems cost a lot more now…a minimum of $200 just to get started, much more than that if you need certain enhancements (like, oh, a Codebreaker) or import anything…so just about anyone who puts out for one of these is going to be pretty serious.

Dunno how I can help here. Just want to assure you that if you struggle, well, that’s normal.

It’s Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Ah, yes, well remembered. Love that game - I’ve played through it many times.

one thing that really bugs me is the hidden stuff that absolutely positively requires you to buy the strategy guides.

I think the best example of this was final fantasy X-II now I admit my heart wasn’t really in to it because I hadn’t actually realised before I bought it that it played out Spice Girls the video game (what was with that anyway?) but what sunk it was the fact that in order to have any chance of unlocking a LOT of major stuff within the game you had to play it with the strategy guide on your knee, unless you pressed a wide variety of random objects within the game and made paticular conversation choices you would miss out on tons of stuff and you couldn’t go back later in the game to find stuff that you missed,

This is a huge problem with most rpgs and it gets very annoying cause I’d love to try and play through them the first time without help and then go back to collect the things I missed later on in the game. The Zelda games are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that allow you to do this.

Also frustrating is the games that have secret stuff (in extreme cases amounting to the majority of the actual game content) which require a ludicrous amount of time to get too, I no longer have the time to spend 300hrs playing the one game to unlock all of the characters and to be honest I never really had the inclination to start with, a bit of work to unlock contents is fine, but requiring you to play the game multiple times through on super mega hard mode or requiring a huge amount of play time on the game clock is just ridiculous.

It’s worth mentioning that the Fallout series of games (besides being the epitome of everything that is right with PC RPGs) manages to be chock-full of stuff, almost all of it findable without a Strategy Guide.

Indeed, if you haven’t played Fallout, you’re missing out. Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura is also by the Fallout Team (more or less), and although not quite as good, it’s still bloody excellent…