Does it matter that a racial eugenicist is running for Congress in Tennessee?

I know. The Wikipedia has a good article on the controversies over “Race and intelligence” – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence. No one denies that the median measured IQ of black Americans is lower than that of white Americans, and the two groups can be charted in separate “bell curves” with the black curve one standard deviation to the left of the white. (Of course, the curves overlap significantly and many individual blacks have IQs well above the white median.) That’s all public record. The controversy is over what that signifies – whether IQ really is a valid measure of personal intelligence (I started a GD thread on that question recently); whether IQ tests are culturally biased; and whether such differences in intelligence that exist result from differences in environment rather than heredity.

One of the contributors to that book, I forget which one, pointed out that since WWII, the average IQ of the population in many developing nations has increased by one standard deviation – and without any significant changes in their gene-pool. The change can only be attributed to improved public health, nutrition, and education.

The lesson I take from this, then, is that if there is a difference between the black and white IQ “bell curves,” it is not because blacks are genetically inferior to whites, but because growing up an average black in America is like growing up an average citizen in an impoverished Third World country – you just don’t get the chance to fully develop your intellectual gifts. :frowning:

But that is something we have the power to change! :slight_smile:

I’ve got to say there will always be lunatic fringe candidates. Here in Mississippi, there used to be a man who always ran for some public office who lived up the street from me. He ran against Trent Lott as a democrat, since the party didn’t want to run anyone to get slaughtered. He actually debated Lott once, and he couldn’t answer any questions. Lott actually had to answer the questions for him. I think some local jerks convinced him to run as a joke.