Earl Grey... Hot!

“Pfui! Computer! This is not le bulobaise! Le Engineer! Repair vous thees piece of merde!”

They tried to make Picard proud of his heritage in season one, commenting on the correct order of the colors on the flag, for instance. That died fairly quickly. Unless you have a Russian accent and hair like a mophead, it just isn’t as cute.

It is a little bit of a throwback to how military officers had to order provisions in Ye Olden Days, or at least in the Cold War. “Rope, hempen, fifty-pound, three hundred feet,” and so on, and you read the commas out loud: “Rope comma hempen comma etc.” I believe this was done so that lists could be alphabetized (by computer?) under a substantive descriptor rather than having to guess whether the rope would be under “f” for “fifty pound test” or the “t” for “three hundred feet”, or the “h” for “hemp”, but knowing for sure that it bloody well wouldn’t be filed under “r” for rope. In the Air Force we still make fun of seventies-era personnel requisitions; to say that anyone could do a job we say that the billet specified “body comma warm comma one each.”

It’s ridiculous to suppose that the knowledge of such a system would persist into the 23d century – but it sure does make him sound like an officer to my 20th century ears!

Asian and into plants?

Black, extra strong, extra sweet. (I didn’t look it up, either!)

sigh
I believe the answer is “Black, extra sweet.”

I never thought I’d be the geekiest person in a SDMB Trek thread.

What does Sisko drink?

“Extra strong”! I knew I was forgetting something like that. Thank goodness someone is geekier (and faster) than me.

Supposedly there’s test footage of Patrick Stewart playing Picard with a French accent. It sounded horrible. Oddly when we met his brother they all appeared to be speaking English (unless the UT decided to give his family French accents).

Bow before my speedy geekiness!

(No, wait a minute. What am I saying? :smack: )

Jamaican blend, double strong, double sweet. And he drinks coffee in the afternoon all the time.

And it was a Jamaican blend.

Oh yeah, and he never drinks it in the afternoon! Oh wait, maybe he does. :smack:

As for Sisko, is his drink a ratkijino (sp)?

Rap ta gee no, or however you spell that Klingon coffee.

Crapples – missed it by that much! (shakes fist) Darn you, matt_mcl!

Dammit!

You are without honor, and your Female Parent dresses you funny!

^ :slight_smile: ^

We have a winner!!!

So, does this mean that you just can’t get a good serving of ga’ak from a replicator?

And the real mystery isn’t why Picard specifies “hot”. It’s why he asks for Earl Grey. That stuff’s disgusting… I can’t fathom how the same country can make the best teas in the world and the worst.

I was refering to the destruction process.

Though, it seems you can’t. When Riker ordered ga’ak to prepare for the officer transfer program it came out dead.

Replicators cannot produce living things, such as gagh. (Oddly, they can apparently produce living tissue, or an acceptable analogue; in “Lower Decks” (TNG) Crusher orders Ogawa to replicate Cardassian blood.)

Except, of course, when the replicators are used as transporters. It’s the same technology therefore one should be able to go to a replicator and say “36 year old female doctor…hot” and 1) be transported to sick bay or 2) have Beverly arrive via the replicator.