English word with the most unique etymology?

I vote for Dord. :slight_smile:

Commasense, is it irony that you didn’t use the preferred spelling of “judgment” in your post? :wink:

It was a pun. No, not a pun. What’s that thing that’s the same backwards as forwards?

Palindrome.

A palindrome? A palindrome of “judgment” would be “tnemgduj!”

According to this site ketchup came originally from China.

“The words “ketchup” and “catsup” both come from the Malay word “kechap,” from the Chinese word “ketsiap,” a sauce made from fermented fish and brine. Pickled fish sauce may not sound all that appealing on french fries, but the Malay word “kechap” itself really only meant “taste.” After the word migrated into English in the 17th century (as “catchup,” still an accepted spelling), it was applied to a variety of sauces and condiments. It was only with the importation of the tomato to Europe from its native habitat in South America that what we now know as ketchup was born. Modern ketchup is made of tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar and spices, and not a speck, thank heavens, of pickled fish”.

V

A man, a plan, a canal - Panama! (My favorite palindrome)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think we have narrowed down the list to a select few most unique words that are all equally the most unique.

[sub]commasense’s & samclem’s heads explode :D[/sub]

How about the word “quiz”? From what I’ve read, the word originated as a bar bet over whether a word could be deliberately put into circulation. The man who took the bet paid to have the word painted as graffiti all over London and soon everyone was asking what it meant. The definition of “quiz” as a short test came later.

Offhand, I can’t think of any other common word in English which was included in the language before it had a meaning.

There’s not really a factual answer to this question, so I’ll move this thread to MPSIMS.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

No, it would be judgmentnemgduj. Or maybe tnemgdujudgment.

Napoleon: Able was I ere I saw Elba.
Adam to Eve: Madam, I’m Adam.

The only common words borrowed from many auxiliary languages are the names of the languages themselves (although only one or two, notably Esperanto and Volapuk, can really be said to be “common.”)

Little Nemo: That story is a myth, according to wordorigins.org.

I enjoyed reading about the etymology of sine in trigonometry.
In some old Indian texts about mathematics, the respective proportion in a rectangular triangle was referred to by a word that meant “chord,” because chords were used in calculating or visualizing the function. It sounded suspiciously similar to an Arabic word meaning “bosom,” with which it didn’t actually have anything to do, so Arabian mathematicians translated it with their appropriate word for bosom. Europeans later on adopted the Arab term and translated it into Latin, where “sinus” means “bosom.”

I’m not prepared to pursue my line of inquiry any longer as I think this is getting too silly!

Sergeant-Major: Quite agree, quite agree, too silly, far too silly…

Skammer: Obviously some people haven’t seen enough Monty Python

The editors of Merriam-Webster would disagree:
Main Entry: unique
Pronunciation: yu-'nEk
Function: adjective
Etymology: French, from Latin unicus, from unus one – more at ONE
Date: 1602
1 : being the only one : SOLE <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can’t walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? – Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>
2 a : being without a like or equal : UNEQUALED <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique – Robert Coover> b : distinctively characteristic : PECULIAR 1 <this is not a condition unique to California – Ronald Reagan>
3 : UNUSUAL <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn’t one good mixer in the bunch – J. D. Salinger>

The OED attests [3] as far back as the mid 1850s. While using comparatives or superlatives might not be stylistically “proper,” it’s certainly nothing grammatically incorrect.

adobe: Spanish, from Arabic at-tub the brick, from Coptic tObe brick.

One interesting word is “mammoth,” which, as an adjective means “really big” as in the extinct critter which bears the name (and gives us the adjective). *It comes to us by Russian which came from the Yakutsk (I believe) word for “earth” or “ground” which was where the bones and tusks would be found.

Also, the natives thought the bones were the remnants of colossal burrowing creatures.

*“All About Strange Beasts of the Past” – Roy Chapman Andrews

Re sine, my Oxford Canadian says that it comes from the word sinus meaning a fold in a toga.

Quark:-
Murray Gell-Mann’s complex account:-

Does anyone still say “Kwork”, rather than “Kwark”?

jjimm said

It’s justs as you suspected, a coincidence. It didn’t come from the French either.

Also, I decided to misspell words, as well as mis-code. :smiley:

I must say, there are just too many words with interesting histories…

Here is a favorite site of mine regarding etymology, maybe someone else will enjoy it also:
http://www.takeourword.com/index.html