Enterprise vs. Star Destroyer

OUT! Out I say!

I’m not much of a Star Trek fan but even if these two ships existed, think of it this way…

Star Trek is set in the FUTURE.

Star Wars is set “A long time ago in a galaxy far far away…”

Given this time difference, distance and the fact that many of the physical aspects of Space and Time do not hold true for either periods (ie where is the gravity coming from, why do particals slow down after they blow up etc) I can’t see there being much chance of the two ever meeting.

But we can only hope! :slight_smile:

Anyone ever read the fan-fiction crossover stories with SW and ST? This scenario has been played out before.

For anyone who’s read the SW “real” fiction books (e.g. The Rogue Squadron series), I’m surprised no-one’s mentioned the Ion cannon yet. I’d love to know what havoc that’d wreak on the Enterprise.

Regards,

Jai Pey

Kirk wins. Kirk always wins. That’s all I’ve got to say.

Interesting point not yet mentioned: So far as I can remember, the Star Wars universe ships can’t fight in hyperdrive. In Star Trek, the ships fight while travelling at warp speeds. This means, theoretically, that the Enterprise would have the advantage in attacking speeds, but the ISD would be able to hyper out and avoid any destruction.

And, yes, it is inane, but it’s fun to imagine anyway. :slight_smile:

The Enterprise held just over 1,000 crewmen plus cargo - the Millenium Falcon held 4 plus cargo. The MF in ST terms is about half as much larger than a runabout from Deep Space 9.

Esprix

Ask the Gay Guy! (or, if you prefer the Jesusfied version, Asketh the damn Priest Guy!)

“Never assume a malicious intent when stupidity will explain just as well.”

{This space reserved for a Genuine WallyM7 Sig™}

[thread hijack]

Let’s expand this a little bit: How about the Federation vs. The Empire?

Okay, the numbers are a little skewed (300 federation ships vs. 25,000 Imperial Star Destroyers!). Throw in the Romulans, Cardassians, Klingons…hell, just throw in the entire Star Trek universe vs. The Empire. Who would win?

[/thread hijack]

Federation shields work basically by absorbing energy and redirecting it (either off into space or into some kind of buffer in the ship – can’t remember). The turbolasers from the Star Wars universe are basically giant energy throwers – ‘laser’ is a misnomer. A Star Destroyer would be able to throw so much energy at the Enterprise that the shields would overload and blow up the ship before Picard could even say ‘surrender.’

Look at it this way: the Enterprise has a small matter-anitmatter mixer as it’s power source. An Imperial Star Destroyer has a small star/black hole as it’s power source. I don’t have my PhD yet, but that doesn’t sound like much of a contest to me…

<my geek factor just tripled for having posted this!>

I remember the episode. It wasn’t that the technology of the laser couldn’t hurt the Enterprise’s shields, it was because the lasers were such low-energy weapons. Phasers are basically really high energy lasers – like a turbolaser in Star Wars.

ok, folks, now I have to step in and force y’all to get a bit of a grip on reality.

YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT PHASERS OR STAR DESTROYER ENGINES ARE BASED ON; THEY HAVEN’T BEEN INVENTED YET AND AREN’T EVER ADEQUATELY EXPLAINED IN THE MOVIES OR TV SHOWS.
Sorry, folks, but get a grip, huh? Phasers are bright streaks of light that do damage, so are turbo lasers. Shields stop damage from happening, in an unexplained, but photographically different way from episode to episode and movie to movie.

Guessing through imagination what might happen is fun; attempting to discuss the issue by logically analyzing the scientific properties of the various weapons, etc., is plain silly. :slight_smile:

Ummm…

sixseatport:

Which side are you weighing this on? Because Trek has the advantage.
Matter + Antimatter = Unimaginable amounts of energy.

A star would be fusion. Fusion provides a lot of power, but not as much as matter-antimatter would.

A black hole would provide NEGATIVE energy. Nothing gets out a black hole. Ever. Not even Boba Fett.

–John

Knights of the Order of Snopes: Above All, Accuracy

the star crusher got out of a black hole(i think)

why would matter+ anti matter produce energy?

wouldent it just cancel out?

as for universe against universe the empire would win. :slight_smile:

hmm… is there some sort of role playing type thing for star trek? Star wars has one so im guessing star trek does to. I only played role playing type games once to realise i dont liek it :slight_smile:

Matter + Antimatter = Energy bacuase that’s how the Universe works. Antimatter is real stuff, no just a scifi invention.

When matter comes into contact with antimatter, the mass of both is completely converted into energy, in the relationship
E(energy) equal M(mass), mutlipled by c(the speed of light) squared.

c is a large number. 3*10^8 meters/second, I believe. Therefore, a little antimatter makes a lot of energy.

–John

Knights of the Order of Snopes: Above All, Accuracy

Due credit must be given to my friend Brian Gilmore for the following:

Data: Captain, we have detected a large triangular ship on our sensors.

Picard: Very well, Mr. Data, open a hailing frequency.

::a large, shiny, black dome head appears, filling the main viewscreen of the Enterprise::

Picard (Officious tone): Greetings, I am Jean-Luc Picard of the Federation Starship Ent… ack…kcuk…uulkk…kkkak…

Darth Vader: All too easy.
Repeat as necessary until the Federation runs out of starships.
:wink:

“…Dark Matter, every pound of which weighs ten thousand pounds” -Futurama

All the Enterprise would have to do is back up at Warp Two and lob photon torpedoes at the Star Destroyer until it explodes. Star Destroyers’ turbolaser beams only move at the speed of light, not faster; photon torpedoes can travel at up to warp 9 (c.f. The Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual).

If the Star Destroyer tried to hyperdrive outta there, the Enterprise could give chase at high warp speed.* The Star Destroyer, like all Star Wars vessels, will be incapable of firing any of its weapons while in hyperspace, but the Enterprise will have no such limitation.
*) The ST:TNG Tech Manual describes warp 9 as being about 1000 times the speed of light. We really don’t know how fast ships travel in hyperspace in the Star Wars universe. All we know about Star Wars ship speeds is that the Millennium Falcon was considered “fast” because it could make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs – a parsec being a unit of distance, not time.

Well, I started this, so I think it’s about time I offered up my take for analysis.

First, ISD’s do have shields. Those big, seemingly-vulnerable-yet-not-as-vulnerable-as-you’d-think domes on top of the command tower. They’re pretty effective, I suppose.

Anyway, here’s the scenario as I’d see it… argue with it if you want, but if you do, I expect you to offer up a different scenario to counter.

I’ll disregard the fact that there’s a huge time differential between these two eras of fiction. Let’s just say that Q sneezed and accidently warped both ships to a random patch of space somewhere in the universe.

Enterprise detects the ISD at several million kilometers away. Enterprise hails the ISD. The commander of the ISD (not necessarily Vader) responds to the hail (let’s assume that the two forms of transmission are compatible). After a while, he decides that this so-called “Enterprise” would be a good catch to benefit the Empire. He secretly orders gunners to their stations and pilots to their fighters. Enterprise may or may not detect the powering up of turbolasers and ion cannons… but what has been implied from the various Star Wars novels and source books, it doesn’t take more than a few seconds. ISD micro-jumps (it’s been done many times) right up next to the Enterprise. The Enterprise is confused by this action and isn’t able to get its’ shields up in time. The initial volley of the ISD wounds the Enterprise critically. The following salvo from the 72 fighters continue to wound it. Repeat until destruction is complete.

Now, I know this is full of holes… there may be other ways that the two ships could come into contact with each other, and it may even be more interesting to have a gun battle inside either ship.

Anyway, I’ll shush now and go eat some potatoes. Mmm… po-ta-toes…

-SPOOFE

Screeme: No, the Enterprise is waaaay bigger than the Falcon.
Enterprise: crew 1000
Falcon : crew 3

Perhaps what is throwing you guys off is the fact that the Enterprise is a much more graceful structure. It doesn’t LOOK that big, but if you’ll recall from Star Trek 1 the thing is absofreakinlutely huge. It’s huge beyond hugeness. Furthermore, the 1701-D is a galaxy class ship while the original Enterprise is merely a Constitution class which was tiny in comparison. My point being that the ISD isn’t any larger. The Imperial Executor is the newer looking SD which shows up in Episode VI. It is larger than the stock ISD, but I can’t find the measurements for it.

SD: Just over 1,600 meters.

In the last 2-hour episode there was an Enterprise E or F. This thing de-phased using the phasing device Ricker worked on in a previous episode, it had three engines not just two, and Ricker (now the El Capitan) says, “Warp 13, engage.” That sumbitch would toast the Death Star.

inertia wrote:

The episode to which you are referring, entitled “All Good Things…”, features the Enterprise from 25 years in the future. You have to freeze-frame the video tape, but it is possible to make out its registry number: it is NCC 1701-D. That’s right, D. Not E or F. It’s the good old Galaxy-class Enterprise D of ST:TNG with some extra goodies strapped onto its hull.

The extra goodies on its hull included a third warp nacelle (as you’ve mentioned), and a mondo powerful phaser cannon that could blast clear through a Klingon battlecruiser, shields and all, in a single hit.

However, it was not this souped-up Enterprise D that travelled at “Warp 13”. The “warp 13, engage!” line was spoken by Captain Beverly Crusher, in command of her own scientific exploration starship. It is reasonable to assume that the upgraded Enterprise would be able to go even faster. Then again, we have no idea how fast “Warp 13” is – the current warpspeed scale has warp 10 as “infinitely fast”, so that means the Trek universe 25 years down the like must have re-calibrated the warpspeed scale God-knows-how.

Er, that should be “down the line”, not “down the like”, in that last paragraph.

Jai Pey: I’d almost forgotten about the Ion Cannons. That’s a good point.

Cactus Jack: James always wins, but Jean Luc is on the 1701-D.

sixseatport: Are you sure about the energy source thing for the ISD? I have no idea as I don’t recall having heard before.

tracer: Are you absolutely certain that Riker never mutters “Warp 13, engage”? I remember him saying it and additionally, I’ve never been a fan of Voyager. If you are absolutely certain I guess I’ll have to concede defeat since I do not have a copy handy and wouldn’t know where to look this up.

BTW, the ISD definitely has shields, but as an experienced X-wing fighter pilot I can say that it’s a fairly easy propostition to knock out the shield generators (after having disposed of the Tie fighters and Tie bombers and occasionally some Tie advanced, of course.) As a matter of fact, I’ve taken out two or three ISD’s out singlehandedly.

SW does have the hydrospanner, though.

Inertia, the Enterprise-D is about 650 meters long. An Imperial-Class Star Destroyer is 1600 meters long. I’m not trying to sound like a brainiac or superior or anything, and this is fiction, but there are set things to be kept in mind.

For some fun, check out the Star Wars Guide to Vehicals or the Cross-Sections book. In addition to a really crazy view of the innards of the Death Star, it’s got the workings of a Star Destroyer.

(And the Executor is 8000 meters long… you see, unlike those who manage to avoid nerdliness, I know a sickening amount on this subject… take care, y’all!)

-SPOOFE