Fargo, the TV show, has the Coen Bros.'s blessing

I misread this as Morgan Freeman, which of course would make the show about ten thousand times more irresistible, but I’ll watch it anyway.

Thanks. What’s the Adam Goldberg character say when he holds up his hand?

Scrunyun, which I’m assuming is the cable television variant of Funyuns. He’s offering the guy a chip. Well, offering and then shooting him.

The bullet’s probably healthier.

I wonder if the show will always be set in the winter. That was a big part of the movies atmosphere.

And it’s cool to see Colin Hanks in something new.

Me too.

I was curious if it’ll be set in the late 1980s. A review of the trailer suggests not, since flat-screen monitors appear. Maybe Freeman’s character could be analogous to Scotty Lundegaard, son of the ill-fated Jerry and Jean.

I’m guessing not, as well, as one of the promos included Billy Bob Thornton sitting in a cafe and the muzak song they were playing was from the mid 2000s.

Heh. There are a few more clips now.

I like this one.

This native upper-Midwesterner wasn’t too impressed with what we’ve heard of Freeman’s accent in the trailers so far. But I’ll still be watching…

Nice interview with Martin Freeman about the series, including an evocative picture.

Someday I’ll hear that Bemidji Brainerd Alexandria accent in a show where it sounds like it does - and not a farce - but Freeman’s wasn’t the worst in those trailers.

It looks like it’s just a 10-part miniseries. But I would enjoy that much more. A story is not a story without a good ending.

Coincidentally, I’ve just established contact with some of my distant cousins in that area, as they’ve started a family tree on ancestry.com and we’ve been exchanging some family facts. Legions of descendants of my Norwegian ancestors (God they had massive families) live all through that area and in points south. Maybe someday I’ll visit the region and get to hear this accent first-hand before it’s lost to time.

Mine was German and Dutch and my grandmother was one of 14 (12 survived infancy). My mother had something like 90 first cousins. My grandfather had the “Minnesota” accent. (I’m from the Twin Cities where the accent is much flatter - worse, I grew up in the South, so I still have a little of that).

First reviews are in - both Hollywood Reporter and Variety seem to love it.

Thanks for that. Loved his line about often being seen an Everyman: “…unless I’m playing a French Senegalese lesbian with a limp, I don’t really know what else I can do.”

Discussion of the first episode: Fargo - S01E01 [open spoilers] - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board