Favorite 1970s Southern Rock Band

Had to go with Marshall Tucker Band. I liked Heard it in a Love Song first time I heard it and still like to listen to it. And Desert Skies off the Carolina Dreams album is a fabulous song. I think what really made MTB’s sound unique was Jerry Eubanks’ flute…something one just doesn’t hear too often in rock music.
SS

Well, hate is a strong word. I do not like to listen to Southern Rock. Maybe it was just the 70s.

No love for “Champagne Jam” and the Atlanta Rhythm Section?

Not saying I would have picked ARS, but they deserve to be in the Poll.

I picked .38 Special. I like them, sue me.

The Allman Brothers were a progressive rock band that just happened to be from the South.

In my opinion, the other bands are bands you’ll like if you like the Southern Rock genre. But the Allman Brothers Band rose above the genre - they were worth listening to even if you didn’t listen to any other Southern Rock band.

Blackfoot

Lynyrd Skynyrd, closely followed by CCR, Charlie Daniels Band, and Allman Brothers.

The hallmark about a classic Southern Rock tune is that it starts out slow with some guitar pick-work, then gradually builds until it turns into a full out kick-out-the-windows jam session.

Lynard Skynard - Free Bird

Blackfoot - Highway Song

Outlaws - Green Grass and High Tides Forever
Thats off the top of my head… any others?

I can’t fault anyone whose favorite is the Allman Brothers, but personally I prefer Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Dr. Hook.

Well we’re big rock singers.
We got golden fingers and
we’re loved everywhere we go.
We sing about beauty and
we sing about truth.
At ten thousand dollars a show.

I picked Marshall Tucker Band, but this list probably should have asked who your THIRD favorite Southern Rock band was, because there’s no way, given a decent sample size, Allman Bros and Skynyrd weren’t going to be 1 & 2. The Bros, especially with Duane, were just incredible. Skynyrd had the airplay and many catchy tunes.

We need more videos in this thread:
Marshall Tucker live.
A bunch of Southern Rock as broadcast on the BBC.

I picked Marshall Tucker. Skynyrd is the best, love the Allmans, but since I was a kid I was just so moved by the flute, the singing, the great songs of Tucker. CT loved Southern rock in the 70s and there was a ton of it on the radio. Remember the live version of 24 Hours with the monster bass solo in the middle? Got so excited every time they played that one. Good times.

Skynyrd’s really dropped out of my life since high-school, and there’s little by them I’ll voluntarily listen to now. Allman bros - well, I haven’t listened to anything new by them in probably 10-15 years, but the old stuff is fantastic. I can’t listen to Dreams just once. Duane and Gregg really take me away. The live version of 24 Hours at a Time, with all it’s flaws, is just one hell of a fun time. One of my favorite tunes.

Your what does what? :confused:

I’m pretty sure CCR is a bunch of Californ’a Boys. They don’t know shit about no Bayou! :smiley:

I shoulda voted ZZ Top, but Texas ain’t really “Southern” to me. (Despite their Delta Blues cred)

That’s what I think. ZZ Top is sometimes lumped in with Southern Rock bands and I considered including them in the list but they’re really more “Texas” than “Southern” and Texas bands are a separate subgenre altogether.

I had to vote for Black Oak Arkansas. I’ve met Harvey Jett several times. He came to my church to give his testimony and plays contemporary Christan rock. He can still shred a electric guitar. Really cool dude.

Probably the Allmans for consistency and style, but I’d vote the Outlaws simply for the sheer wonderfulness of Green Grass and High Tides - particularly the endless live versions.

I think only half of the listed bands got any airplay in Australia and although I knew them the only band whose music I bought was Little Feat. The Allman Brothers had as many consecutive great albums but the rest were all patchy.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Little Feat
Allman Bros

Texas don’t want the South. Texas wants Mexico.
ETA: Og help me, I think I just quoted Gallagher.