Feasibility of body disposal with acid and plastic barrel a la 'Breaking Bad': NEED ANSWER FAST!

Holy crap that’s crazy stuff!

“It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that’s the least of the problem. It is hypergolic [meaning it spontaneously ignites on contact] with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively.” - John D. Clark

The Nazis were going to use it as a combined incendiary weapon and poison gas!

With all apologies for the ClF3 hijack, here’s a little more from the rather enjoyable subsection, “Things I Won’t Work With”, of an organic chemist’s blog:

I chemist buddy of mine once said to me “Draino cracks me up. Wholesale cost of NaOH in 50-pounds bags is about 15 bucks.” This conversation occurred in the late 1980s. So for cost-effective mobster disposal, wouldn’t I be better off just using pure NaOH? After all, I’ve got a handy water supply right there. Any dental fillings, gallstones, Teflon implants, Legos, etc. can just be scraped up after the fact and thrown in the trash. You can’t get DNA off a Lego, so there’s no worries there. What is the wholesale cost of pure NaOH these days, anyway?

Looks like $1/lb. for NaOH vs. $3/lb for KOH, so your idea is a winner.

The thing that was never clear to me, although having never studied or taught highschool chemistry in the US I may well be utterly wrong, is why does Walt’s highschool chemistry lab have gallons of hydrofluoric acid?

I mean, in my late '80s, early '90s highschool chemistry lab we had one tiny bottle of the stuff, along with the other tiny bottles of high concentration nitric, sulphuric and hydrochloric acids all stored in a fume cupboard (there were lots of big bottles of various dilutions of those acids, except hydrofluoric). There were probably slightly larger bottles in the fume cupboard in the chemistry prep room to make up the dilutions, but that was it…it’s not like there’s an awful lot of call for hydrofluoric acid in GCSE and A-Level chemistry.

Alien acid blood.

:eek:

Stand around with 50 parts per million. Prepare to die in 15 minutes.

Personal jabs are not permitted in General Questions. Even at thought crimes.

Some say pigs.

Maybe Ernie Kaltenbrunner would let you use his crematorium

I don’t want to owe him a favor.

[Moderator Note]

Leo, that’s not a personal jab since it’s not directed at another poster. Just for your information.

If you’re going to junior mod, at least get the rules straight.:wink:

Colibri
General Questions Moderatore

That’s not the only :eek: quote about that stuff:

Well, it’s not eligible for Amazon Prime, so forget it. But look at this way cool sign you can put on your bathroom door!

Until I read about chlorine trifluoride, I never knew that glass could actually ignite (HF can dissolve glass but it doesn’t burn)… Even materials that can withstand it can apparently only do so after treatment.

Also, as far as acids and alkalis go, alkalis often cause worse burns since they can more readily penetrate flesh because they don’t coagulate proteins (some acids like HF can, but HF burns are due more to fluoride toxicity, hence the delayed reaction, as stated in the description here; “hydrofluoric acid burns typically do not show visible evidence of injury for a day or two after exposure”).

I was going to use this as an example but I can’t find the actual acid used

Chemicals, shemicals. What works best is pigs.

Cite 1

Cite 2

But at least you don’t need to use soap to wash your hands when you spill a base on them!

Lovely, I was hoping someone would find that video clip. (Snatch, Cite 2 above.) A fine rollicking movie that was.