Flowers in the Attic -- Wow. <spoilers>

Oh dear lord.

I wanted to look something up about it, and ran across some distressing news.

There’s talk of doing a film remake.

I could swear that Flowers in the Attic was assigned reading for school during the summer between the 5th and 6th grade for me. :eek:
Maybe my memory is faulty though.

I think this is true. When I didn’t know anything, it was fascinating, but it was also just make-believe. Now that I know more, I can’t read horrible fiction any more.

It seems to me that V. C. Andrews books would give you a really wrong idea about sex. Not even the weird rape/incest stuff, just the straight physical deed. IIRC, her version and reality don’t necessarily jibe very well, but it’s been so long I don’t really know.

Maybe you should try wearing shorter skirts.

Oh my gosh, I just realized what I said! :eek: Oops. I meant, it’s been so long since I read one of the books I can’t remember what they said about it!

My personal life is just fine. Really. It is.

Tee hee!

I knew what you meant, but the potential joke was just hanging out there like a giant matzo. To not pull the trigger is simply not in my nature.

Ah I remember this book. In true testament to my nature, I think, I thought the most disturbing point of the book was when the feed their pet mouse the food they thought was poisoned (and it was). Poor little mouse! It had a name, but I can’t remember it.

Wasn’t there a series that was centered around a music school? I remember that being my “favorite,” so to speak…

That was the Dawn series - the one with the girl who was kidnapped by the nice but poor family, away from her evil but rich family. Her brother-who-didn’t-know-he-was-her-brother fell in love with her, later rapes her (then way later rapes her teenage daughter) - and she ends up marrying the guy she thought was her brother until she was about 14.

The music school is where she gets pregnant by the handsome music teacher.

One has to wonder what kind of sex life VC Andrews had.

It’s really quite simple.

And I thought assembling an I, Claudius family tree was borderline dorky. tdn, you’ve taken fictional family trees to new levels! :smiley:

I didn’t create that though, I just googled it.

Creating one myself would necessitate me doing things I wouldn’t really be proud of.

Yes, you ARE the only person in the universe to think that.

“EAT SOME COOKIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!”

Eat the cookie!

I hate to ask, but now you’ve all got me curious… Is there somewhere online I can read this for free?

Exactly. Escapism. It was sooooo far out there that it just took me out of any problems I was having in my own life.

That post could have been written by me. That’s why I read stuff like that. It took me away from my problems. I didn’t want to read realistic fiction… my problems were worse than “oh, no! I got my period!” so I wanted to read something that was waaayyy worse. And sensational. And sexy… this was all of it.

I suddenly have the urge to re-read this book… I have to see if I can find it. It’s not one I proudly display on my bookshelves…

I’ve been tempted to give it to my daughter (I told her about it when she was complaining about Twilight). However, one day when I was feeling strong, I gave all my V.C. Andrews away.