Fuck you 1942!

Beginning cinematics? Am I missing something, because when I put the CD in and load the game, I wait at a grey screen, after which the game starts playing the demo loop.

The best ending a game ever had has in WIng Commander III The Heart of the Tiger. After destroying an entire planet, you get to shack up with a hot babe.

And it’s your pick, too! The blonde mechanic or the redhead pilot! Rrrowwr. I know what my little greasemonkey and I would do after I got back from using the temblor bomb.

Um, er.

There are two endings on GK1, Spoofe. Are you talking about the one with Mosely on the balcony with Grace or the other one? The one with Mose is definitely sadder than the other.
[hijack]
Does anyone know where I can get a patch to slow down Sins of the Fathers? I’m playing off of my original, bought-it-in-1993 copy, which was obviously designed with much slower computer technology in mind. It runs just fine (well, Gabe walks really fast through most of it, but it’s playable) until the bit on Day 7 when you have to wait for the Officer Frick to fall asleep to sneak back to Mosely’s office. Since it’s running really fast, Frick will nod off for about .02 seconds and then jolt awake again and there’s no way to get by him. I must see the end of this game again! It rocks my world! ::sob::
[/hijack]

One of the worst AND best endings was for Jedi Knight for the PC.

In the game, you try and find the dark jedi who killed your pa and your bestest friend. He has six leutenants who you have to beat up, plus numerous stormtroopers for you to slide, dice and blow up. The head dark jedi has found The Valley Of The Jedi, where dead jedis are buried, and he wants to harvest their spirits to make himself stronger.

As you play the game, you have a choice of whether or not to follow the Dark Side Of The Force. This choice is mainly influanced by which force powers you pick and how many innocent civilians you “accidentily” kill. However, game play is pretty much the same: Either you want to save the Valley from being despoiled, or you want to take that spirit force power for yourself. The main diffence in the two paths is in the endings:
Spoiler:
If you were goody goody: The spirits are free! They float around you, amazing you with their beauty. Actually, they look like little glowing balls, but anyway. You use your lightsaber to carve the statue of your father to add to the other statues in the valley. You pause for a second, then say “Thank you, father.” Fuck you. All that work, doing my best to NOT blow up those idiot bystanders, and THIS is what I get? A crappy ten second cliched Cocoon sequence then “Thank you, father?” Ballsweat. The Dark Side IS more fun!

If you were naughty: An Imperial shuttle flies you to your new base. You see, you’re the new emperor. You step out of your shuttle, dressed all in black, with a new sinister five o’clock shadow going on. a lackey tells you that some Rebels have been sighted on BlanketBlah planet. “Destroy them. Make and example of them” you say (Or something like that). The Imperial March any Star Wars fans knows is playing as you seat yourself in your thrown. You take out the little hologram that your father gave you, telling you how proud he is of you. You get a little misty eyed, then dropp the hologram and crush it with your boot. Oh, HELL yeah! A very nice ending indeed.

Also, the ending for Questron for the Commodor 64 is one of my favorites. The palace trumpeteers blow a tune for you, you march up to the throne, and the king tells you what a swell guy you are. THAT’S how the good guy should be rewarded!

Both, actually. In fact, that whole game was a huge mix of emotions…

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by SPOOFE *

I think that if you finish the game in less than a certain period of time, you survive at the end. But then, I died too when I finished Castlevania 2.

The worst ending I’ve seen is for X-Wing: Alliance. There is no ending. After you destroy the Death Star (the last 4 missions don’t fit the story, but that’s a different rant), you get dropped back to the concourse, where you choose your missions. The only cutscene is you flying out of the DS while it is blowing up. The opening movie is about 2 minutes. The closing cutscene is less than 30 seconds! It’s like they were going to have a mission pack, there was even an unsettled storyline.

Ooh, another screwed-up Star Wars ending: Rebellion. For those of you not familiar with the game (it wasn’t very popular, if I recall correctly), it’s a galaxy-wide strategy game that calls for a lot of micromanagement, a slightly awkward interface, and absolutely zero snazzy graphics (I love the game, however… where else can you build several dozen Super Star Destroyers and name them things like Pussywillow and Butt Crack?).

Anyhoo, if you pass the game as the Rebels (you could be either the Rebels or the Imperials), it shows a clip of a SSD and an ISD floating out in space… suddenly, they’re ambushed by a Mon Cal cruiser and (I think) a Correlian Corvette (it’s either that, or a Nebulon-B Frigate). In either case, the two warships fire a half-dozen laser shots, and the SSD and the ISD blow up, leaving giant pieces of debris floating around.

Now, those of you who don’t know the first thing about Star Wars are sitting there thinking, “So what?” Here’s what, my Non-SW Friends… a Mon Cal cruiser, while nothing to laugh at, is about 1200 meters long. An ISD is 1600 meters long. A SSD is 17,000 (or a mere 8000, if you believe West End Games) meters long. In short, this is the equivalent of a kid with a pea shooter taking out a squad of U.S. marines.

Urgh!!! That irks me to no end…

By the usual bizarre coincidence, I was thinking yesterday about an old Apple II game named Snoggle. It was a blatant pac-man ripoff (as I remember, Broderbund got sued over it,) but if you played long enough (using the cheat, natch) you would go to a level so high that a sort of mini-Y2K problem would appear, and all sorts of weird effects would occur onscreen. It was not an intentional congratulations screen, but it was pretty cool to see.

Does anyone else remember that?

-Ben

It was adapted from the arcade game … most arcade games dont have real endings other than maybe a congratulations screen saying you won or if your lucky " you saved the world " speech for 30 seconds

most of the time you just get game over , sega was really good at this
actually there are 3 or 4 1940 games in the order they came out 1942 1943 1941 i dont know the 4th if there is one

the best is 1942 as its most realistic the others are regular modren shooters the places pic up missles and such

the p-38 game is a seperate game actually called p-38 or ir was here anyways

and as for a square gane ending that I thought sucked ?

final fantasy the first one on the nes

it just says at the end in boxes that the memory of your deeds fades into time and becomes a myth where people dont beleive you existed at all

I spent 3 weeks to get that ?

The worst ending to a game I played was Myst. I know people love Myst, but yuck I go through all kinds of nonsense to get the red and blue pages, figure the whole thing out, find the secret book, blah, blah, blah…

And the guy in the book says, Thanks for your help, why don’t you explore the island a little more.

What!!! I wanted to get off the island! Isn’t that the goal of the game? You fall into a weird magical world and you want to get back home! I don’t want to explore any more, that’s all I’ve been doing!

Bleh. Double, triple, quadruple bleh.

Back in High School, we played “Transylvania” on the Apple IIe in the computer lab when we had “free time” during our classes. Anyway, after getting clues and figuring it all our for a couple months - the ending was pretty lame. We were hoping for some fantastic light show or something like a naked female elf but only a brief note about going on your next adventure - yeah right!

Some designers / programmers will figure you will “never” get to the ending so they never bother doing anyone great for you to see which is wrong in my book.

I think it was the movie “Nightmares” where a guy is addicted to a coin-up arcade game. So much that after he is grounded, he sneaks back into the arcade after hours to go to the very hard to get to last and final level. It was some 80s movie so the game was some kind of laser battle but the game became real for that last level. It hurt and it was full tilt battle in real life, not just a game anymore. They found him dead, I think that part of the movie was called “Game Over”, LOL.

Oh, yes. My notes on the ending of Myst (I kept notes all the way through it, and was irritated enough to keep writing) read “So, as a reward, I get to hang around a place with no food, no toilet facilities unless you count the Channelwood Age, and a grand total of four books, all of which I’ve already read. Wow.”

Well, if you completed a certain level in Cloak and Dagger (the one with the little spy guy and the giant bombs), you got to see secret fighter plane blueprints.

Oh wait…that was the stupid Dabney Coleman movie about the video game. Never mind.

SPOOFE
I think wath made it hard for me to swallow the ending to Half-Life was how incredibly bad and unbelievable, the voice-over actor was. I mean what the *&# was that supposed to be? Don’t get me wrong, HL is one of my favorite games, but the voice-over is just so mind-numbingly bad it makes me want to punch myself out. Did you enjoy the voice-over? I thought it was universally reviled, but I could be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time ;)).

yes there is a cloak and dagger game … its a arcade game and i think they made it for the 2600 but it has nothing to do with the movie

its based on the video game they had to play to see the plans

i found it for mame

For the avoidance of doubt: I did know that, having both played the video game (albeit not very well) and – regrettably – seen the film. The film is about secret plans hidden in the game cartridge (you have to play a certain level to access them).

As I was crap at playing the game, I don’t know what actually happened, if anything, when you completed all the levels.

I did. It gave the overall impression that the MIB was not-quite-human, which would explain why he so easily controlled the teleportation at the end of the game.

This thread inspired me to pick up Sid Meier’s Gettysburg again.

First time through, on the second easiest level I captured the Lutheran Seminary on the first day, held Seminary Ridge, and on the second day when the Union forces showed up in overwhelming numbers, I took Longstreet, Stuart, and a couple of Brigades, snuck down the Baltimore Pike, adn came at them with an enveloping flank. When the Union Army turned to face the attackers, I waited until they were well engaged and then my fresh confederates charged down Seminary Ridge, and tore the Union Army apart.

Great ending as all the Union generals bow down before you.

I’ve never been able to win on the hardest level as a Confederate, though I’ve won that way with the Union Army.

Great, Great game.