Game of Thrones 5.01 "The Wars to Come" 4/12/15 [Show discussion]

Hard to imagine anything less shocking in this show than any kind of sex.

Sexposition is what keeps the plot moving.

I didn’t know she had said that but assumed she was using her Star Powah when I saw how she used the sheets.

Let’s not sidetrack the thread with a discussion of whether gay sex is shown for shock value.

I think this particular scene can be discussed – I saw it as an insight into Loras and Margaery’s characters. We didn’t know that Loras is essentially flaunting his sexuality, which he believes is widely known, and now we know that Margaery mildly disapproves.

I don’t think she disapproves of his sexuality per se; just that she thinks it’s risky for them right now. If he were back home in Highgarden I don’t think she would care.

Still not used to new Daario, he looks like a sensitive nice guy who gets friend zoned while original Daario gets to bang the girl.

I agree, and this is what I meant – she disapproves of his flaunting, not his sexuality. She just wants him to be discrete.

She’s right too, it ain’t what you know it’s what you can prove. And didn’t Joffrey put a death penalty on gaying at some point?

I did not think Margaery was showing any disapproval of the relationship, rather she was upset about the lack of responsibility with Lora’s behavior of being late and indiscrete. She did say she was hungry a few times.

I am not sure what quantifies going over to the dark side for Sansa, she has not hurt anyone and finally begins to show signs of self preservation by siding with Little Finger.

Melisandre was the one who sent Stannis forth to the wall after staring into the flames once Davos showed them the crow for help.

I am so excited to see Tyrion and Daenarys together. I am happy the show has passed the books I have read, I think the series would have been much more fun if I never read the first few books.

I really liked babby Cersei, she was so…Joffreyeesh

I thought it was pretty funny that Brienne and Podrick were (once again?) within sight of Sansa and still haven’t connected. And what’s the “Sparrows” (the religious order that Lancel seems to have joined)? Plus Varys thinks that Daenerys Targaryen is the last best hope of Westeros. I wonder if he’s right.

I was expecting the reveal that Varys has been working with Illyrio to get Dany back on the throne to be a bigger deal. It’s not exactly a secret - there’s a scene in season 1 where Arya overhears Varys talking to Ilyrio in the dungeons, but I’m not sure the viewers were supposed to pick up on that at the time. So I thought that when they revealed Varys was in her camp, they’d reveal it as more of a shocker, but instead it was very matter of fact.

I think there had been enough hints in past seasons that Varys has some sort of ulterior motives and scheming that this wouldn’t (and couldn’t) be a “shocker”, especially once he got on the boat with Tyrion at the end of last season.

I did not pick up on Varys supporting Daenerys in any way because he did try to poison her. I thought with Tywin’s death Varys was looking for the next best option. Danny is still learning quite a bit, I imagine it’s her progress that has Varys intrested in meeting her.

Robert tried to kill her, Varys might be on her side but he couldn’t simply defy a direct order.

What reasons would Varys had of supporting her for years before she showed any promise? I fail to see how her early notions of justice would benefit Westeros in any way. I think I am missing whispers from the books?

Yep, as they were leaving. It looked much better than his first attempt.

My favorite Hot Pie moment: “You CANNOT give up on the gravy!”

Originally they were supporting Viserys, it was Illiryo who set him up with an army in the first place.

I loved the witch’s prediction of her future:

Three children for you. Check. Twenty for the King. No way to really know, but this witch has a pretty good track record so far, so I’ll give this a 50/50.
Not going to marry the Prince but will marry the King. Check.
Her children will all wear a gold crown and a gold shroud. Two crowns down, one to go. One shroud down, two to go.
Queen (check) until a younger more beautiful woman takes her crown. Well that’s coming right on up.

Thanks! I also liked the Cersei flashback, it reminded me that Joffrey and Cersei laughed the loudest during the little person jousting match at the wedding reception.