"Girl Stuff", Old Age, and Me (TMI, at least for Shodan)

She’s a very lucky young lady.

Thanks for sharing.

I might’a gotten a little snuffly, if I hadn’t had to play that same game myself with MY daughter a few years back.

As it is, my first thought was, “Has Shodan been takin’ lessons from Scylla?”

That’s sweet.

However, when I got my period, I remember that I did NOT want my dad to know. It was just too embarassing.

Shodan - this cynical teenager was touched by your post. :slight_smile:

Shodan, you surely made me miss my daddy tonight. He was a lot like you – playful, gentle-spirited, outrageous…

Oh what a gift he was!

Bless you for this.

Aw. That was really sweet. I know it’s not the same, but because of a series of circumstances, I was the only one around when my younger sister got her period, so I got to put pads in the shopping cart on her behalf and such. She just turned seventeen yesterday, and when I think about the hijinks I was up to at seventeen, I get pretty tense. She’s my little sister and will be forever and I will kill any person who ever hurts her.

This one was too. That was beatiful, Shodan. Keep it forever.

Gee thanks, Shodan. Way to make this hormonal-Mommy-of-a-teenage-girl weepy. That was lovely.

snif

Aww…

I know what you mean, amigo. Mine just turned 17 on 12/1, and as proud as I am of her and what a wonderful young woman she is turning out to be, I was overcome with a memory of her at age 9 demanding piggyback rides and practicing her pout on me if I was too slow in complying.

Awwwww… You made me cry, you weenie. :slight_smile:

Like others have said, you needn’t worry; she’ll always be Daddy’s girl.

When my oldest son turned 14, I was standing beside him at the moment he found his parakeet dead. He grabbed me and buried his face in my neck, sobbing, and nearly knocked me down–he was already taller than me.
I was hit full-force with the realization that he would probably not ever voluntarily throw himself into my arms like that ever again. I cried for his little dead pet, but mostly, I was crying for myself.
I wrote a poem about it and the one time I read it at a public reading, I had to sit down and have a little cry afterward. I don’t think you ever lose the feeling of missing that little boy or girl. Thank goodness they’re pretty cool as big kids too.
Thank you for a beautiful piece of writing, Shodan.
Best,
karol

Your post touched me, Shodan. It made me recall the days when my daughters were at that age. I miss those days and remember them with bittersweet shades of memories.

My daughters are all grown-up now, and I have grandchildren to revel in. But I still miss my babies.

My hat’s off to you, for being such a caring dad. Carry this memory with you, and your daughter will always be your “little girl”. Trust me on this one.

Awwww. I wish I’d had a dad like you. My dad was really not there much for me when I was young. Physically, until I was 10, when my parents got divorced, but even then, he was really unreliable (once, he forgot to pick me up from swimming lessons, and I had to be driven home by an instructor - 3 hours later).

I hated him for several years, until I was about 18, actually. Then I lived with him for almost a year, now I go over there to get help fixing my cars, hanging out, getting free food.

But he recently told my little sister (at age 14) that he’d hoped she’d been born a boy. Eugh.

I’m so happy for your daughter to be able to have such a great dad. And horrah for you!

Sigh.

That was lovely and warmed my heart.

I cannot imagine my three year old ever being that grown up, though I know it’ll happen. Good job it’s a decade or so away.

I need the time to prepare.

Wow. That post reminded me of my own Dad. I can’t wait to have kids because I just know my husband will be as fabulous a Dad as he is (and sounds like you are). Thank you for reminding us what a truly good Dad can be like.

I have to go call my Daddy now.

Awwww, that’s too sweet. :snif:

Thanks to all of you who have responded.

Especially if you said you were going to talk to your fathers. Because, judging by my feelings, he would like very much to hear from you. And when you do speak to him, as from one father to another, tell him

Regards,
Shodan

Let me add another voice to the chorus; nicely done Shodan. I too have a daughter at the same crossroads, and as happy as I am to see her grow and learn and experience life, I know I will see less and less of the little girl. Bittersweet, eh? And my daughter was just as matter of fact about getting her period. Just wait until you have to bring that change of clothes to school for her…

I miss my dad now. :frowning: