Good brands in power tools?

Great breakdown, thanks. My burgeoning shop is slowly evolving; I’ll be adding both stationary and hand tools over the next few years.

Nate brings up a good point about understanding what distinguishes the tiers. Are there factors that are specific to the (general) type of user or are the distinctions (generally) more across the board?

In other words, I’m an every-third-weekender at best, with long periods of dormancy between. I’m very careful, (though there’s no telling whether I’ll drop something from a roof), and as far as I know am unlikely to put things to as much rigorous use as a contractor or ‘serious’ woodworker.

I guess I’m kind of responsible for manufactures pumping out machines with cheaper wear parts—I’m unlikely to wear them out.

But does that go hand-in-hand with other aspects? I love my Jet band saw; it’s steady as a rock and fantastic to (learn to) work with. At this point, errors and cutting imperfections are due to my lack of skill and technique in either saw setup or use. As I learn and improve, how much will be attributable to the saw?

In other words, is, say, a Skil table saw less accurate or precise than a Dewalt (with identical basic specs)? Is it that the Dewalt’s guides and stops make supplemental measurement tools and guides (e.g. Incra gauges and fences) unnecessary until my own skill levels are much higher? If you removed all markings, would it be easy to tell the difference between the two?

Does ease of use/setup enter into things, too?

Is this kind of like explaining to someone who’s only used Ginsu knives that there’s a difference between those, Henckels’s single-man and their twin-men lines?

In case there is some confusion, I’m not insinuating that either Dewalt or B&D are shit quality.

Generally speaking, you are looking for tools that will do the work with less effort from you - this leaves you free to concentrate on getting the work done accurately.

Classic case - If you use a Hilti Hammer drill, apart from having huge torque and plenty of weight, you will find it take far less effort to make it drill - you do noy need to force it to work, in fact its much better to let it do its thing. The drill bits will last longer too. They are better ergonomically - you will be able to work longer and harder without suffering the vibration or physical effort.

Now go to a store own brand tool, it may have the same power rating - though pretty unlikely - but not all that power will do useful work, and that’s if they are actually telling the truth. Not only that, it will not be capable of hard work at the upper end of its capacity - it will heat up, and the more it heats up, the less work it will do. It will also take time to cool down.

The casings on good tools will be tough, this does not mean hard - it means they can take impacts and flex slightly rather than crack, the casings will also be more resistant to oils and greases and for real outdoor worksites they will be able to cope with sunlight-which tends to embrittle plastics.

Access to spare parts can be an issue, but these can be very expensive, for example the Dewalt batteries and the trigger speed control module is very expensive indeed, these parts are only just worth the cost of replacement - Batteries have a finite life if the battery drill has heavy use then you can expect to replace it, and perversely lack of use can also damage batteries. I have found that the speed control trigger unit in Dewalt power drills has a tendency to go down, and its never at a convenient time. I would prefer to pay less and have two of them and that way I have a backup instead of having to go back to the shop and dig out a spare.

Makita stuff works well but goes down completely, you just have to realise they are built for a specific lifespan - I would be quite prepared to have a couple of them, rather than just the one DeWalt

Kango stuff just keeps on going, give it all the abuse and it keeps going - testament to this is the secondhand market, used Kango stuff sells for strong money.

Milwaukee, same as Kango

Hilti - best by far, but be prepared to pay for it, can be repaired ad infinitum, but I have never had to do it and although heavy it is less effort to use because it does all the hard stuff whilst all you do is act as the guiding agent.

DeWalt - popular, spares available, but expensive for what it is - good solid case they don’t crack or break. Loads of options available, great for shopfitters if they get the push to drive chucks, you keep your finger on the trigger so it runs all the time, but the chuck disengages the drive until you push it on to the next fastening, which re-engages the drive - superb for doing lots and lots of fast repetitive drilling such as displays and stuff.

Bosch - As far as home users go, its plenty good enough, pretty much semi pro-tools. I find things like clamps and other plastic attachments are not very strong.

Hitachi - General home user, you probably don’t need much more unless you are doing structural work, I would not want to be using it all day though, it would be pretty tiring.

If you are going for static tools, then the construction of the guides and locking mechanisms for the table are all important, they need to be easy to move, must not have a tendency to jam or slide out of alignment, or flex when you put pressure on them. One hand locking levers are best. Don’t go for ones with plastic levers, they are never ever strong or rigid enough Its easy to go for much heavier stuff than you need - get it cut to approximate sizes on the merchant’s machines first - save you lots of money and lots of effort.

Cheap store brands, good for kids to learn on, just noisy toys really.

I have owned a small construction company and architectural woodwork business for 30 years and have gone through many electric hand tools. I can’t say the one brand is superior across their full line of tools over any other.

I am not a big fan of DeWalt cordless drills and impact drivers. The batteries don’t seem to last and they cost far more than Ryobi. We use Ryobi impact drivers heavily, (there are at least 8 in the shop) and have gone through many batteries over time. The replacement cost is far less than the DeWalt. And there is no noticeable difference in performance.

I also own 4 different miter saws, 1 Makita sliding saw, 1 Makita miter saw and 1 Hitachi slider and 1 Milwaukee miter saw. Every one of my installers prefers the Hitachi.

I have 4 corded roto-hammers. Three Milwaukee and an Hitachi. They are all very good tools.

I have a lot of corded drills. Milwaukee, Hitachi, DeWalt and Metabo. The Hitachis are preferred by the workers.

Most of the hand sanders are Porter Cable. I have had in the past Makitas and Bosch but have gotten better performance from the PCs. Same goes for routers, PC is now my preference. I used to love Bosch but the last few Bosch routers all went through bearings quickly. I have an old Ryobi plunge router that has been used heavily and is still working well. My favorite electric power tool is a heavy duty Elu plunge router. Elu was Black and Decker’s European line and were of top quality. When Black and Decker bought DeWalt and started marketing their tools under the new name the quality diminshed IMO.

Nail guns, Porter Cable and Hitachi. Have 1 Ridgid 15ga angle gun. Bought a Bostich kit of 3 and have more jams in a day than I have in a month with the other brands.

The man I live with who is a contractor, says Makita for battery powered-he says the Makita (not a knock off) battery is the best.

Bosch for hitting/breaking tools. He says DeWalt is not as good.

Hilti-yes

Well, there are some things that are different, esp. when it comes to repairing them. The co. I work for sells the high end contractor equipment. And they tell me that some of the steel or aluminum parts in the tools by the same manufacturer, are plastic in the Home Depot/Lowes lines. So when a home consumer brings a tool to us, since we are a warranty shop for them, and they got it at the big box store, we can’t help them.

But keep in mind, I am speaking of expensive professional grade tools.

I only buy Makita, if I can afford them.

:confused: Skill (actually Skil) lower end??? IMHO they make the best worm drive hand circular saws. They are fantastic. Craftsman power tools need to be lowered down and in no universe are above Skil.

Isn’t a Skill model 77 still the standard of the industry for a worm drive saw?

That’s what I thought. Though it’s been years since I framed for a living. I have the Skil 77 Magnesium. It is a great saw.

Skil is at the lower end of the price range for many things, if that has any legitimacy.

Which products are you comparing? admittedly $$$ does not make it good. (Look a Jaguar). IMHO, Skil makes the best circular saws, Milwaukee the best sawzall, and Makita the best cordless drill.

Meh. There is no real reason to debate this. Some things work better than others depending on the job you have to do. But to put Craftsman above Skil is blasphemy. I think we have a thread about that around here somewhere… :slight_smile:

I have a skil worm drive circular saw that has been a real workhorse for many many years. I have ripped lots of 20 footers with it over the years and it just keeps on going. Guard is presently bent and sticks because I dropped it.

I do not see uniform quality across tool brands; just like auto manufacturers they have tiers even within the same brand. Some models are light duty and others heavier and often price is the best indication of what a tool is really intended for.

Hitachi is a good example. They have a consumer grade line of cheap tools, like most of their cordless tools for instance, but they also make premium professional grade air tools and compressors. For a few years they were pretty much the standard for air nailers and staplers. Their mitre saws are well respected.

Milwaukee is a big name that gets a lot nods in this thread but I’ve been hearing a lot of complaints about their cordless tools from other trades. The Sawzall I bought this year though is an excellent performer and has 1 1/8" travel as compared to correspondingly priced Dewalt model that only has 3/4". It seems bomber and the quick release isn’t going to blow apart like the Dewalts are notorious for.

Usually the best professional tools are feature minimal, its the inside that counts.

In general Craftsman has better tools. Skil has been in a race to the bottom for years, the name sells regardless of quality so they have put little time or effort into keeping up with quality.

The op asked for a general placement. different manufacturers do different tools well. Pick up a Skil drill and you’ll understand why their average sucks. Circular saws is something they do very well, most people can circular saws Skil saws because they really did set the standard.

Their worm drive is a staple for carpenters it’s been the same exact saw for a very long time now and is a good seller in different parts on the country. Worm drives are a regional thing. In my area they aren’t used often. Carpenters prefer the lighter saws and use table saws more frequently.

Interesting. I’ll be honest, I’ve never seen any other Skil tools besides their worm drives. Perhaps that’s telling. But if a carpenter showed up at my house with Craftsman power tools, I’d be worried.