Good news for colonoscopy prep!

Time for some zombie poo here:

I used the Prepopik for this year’s session, and it was indeed an improvement over what I’ve heard of all the others.

First dose (Sunday evening), I didn’t mix up enough at first. First sip, I noted “tastes like bad lemonade”. Then I noticed the layer of undissolved powder at the bottom, and stirred it a bit more til it was dissolved. This resulted in a body-temperature liquid (I guess the stuff is a bit exothermic?), that tasted of a hint of bad lemonade, but mostly windshield-washing lquid or something (not that I’d know). However, it was only 5 ounces, and I alternated it with sips of non-artificially-colored orange soda.

Same thing in the morning, though I mixed it more carefully right off the bat so it was still cool when I drank it, and it was more consistently bad-lemonade and less window cleaner.

The advantage over the horse pills (osmo-prep) was that while you have to drink as much liquid, it’s over a couple or three hours, NOT 40 ounces of any-flavor-as-long-as-it-tastes-bad Gatorade in an hour while also chowing down on about a cupful of salty horse pills.

The bad: I drank it at 6:30 PM. Despite having taken Dulcolax the evening before, NOTHING happened until nearly 10 PM. I was considering sending my husband out to the 24-hour drugstore for Miralax. Then when it did kick in, it was every hour or so. All night. Yeah, that was fun.

So I got up earlier than planned in the morning to start the prep - 6:00 instead of 8:00 as instructed - and had to put the cup down mid-dose and make a run for it. Yes, nearly 12 hours later :(. Then, oddly, THAT round was done by 10:30 AM.

The other bad: I had hoped, especially given that it stopped “working” at 10:30, that it wouldn’t still be hitting me AFTER the procedure. Sadly, this was not the case :(. I was still running to the pot by 5:30 PM. Boo. I guess I’m just lucky, sigh.

And the really good news: things were MUCH better this time around - enough so that I get to go 2 years before the next one. Woohoo!

I’ll definitely consider this prep next time, though I"ll start the “evening” prep by noon!!

Makes me much happier to have my doctors realize that absolutely every form of prep other than a fleet enema is going to negatively impact my health for a week and that to prep me in anything other than an emergency is going to be entirely dietary with enemas at the end [heh] - I don’t have to deal with yuccky pills or drinks. :stuck_out_tongue: