Good popular history of World War I?

That’s the one that I came in here to suggest.

Another vote for Tuchman and Massie.

I came in to suggest Hardcore History.

The only caveat on this is after combining all of the podcasts its a 16 hour long audio book…and counting

I was amused by Niall Ferguson’s bitchy comparison of the two of them - “The most readable account of the origins of the First World War since Barbara Tuchman’s The Guns of August. The difference is that The Sleepwalkers is a lovingly researched work of the highest scholarship.”

The only trouble w/ the Guns of August is that, from a narrative perspective, it’s a bit of a teaser–it stops just when things are getting really interesting! Which is what led me to…

…this one, which I also heartily recommend. It focuses on the two major theatres (Western and Eastern fronts), with a little bit about Gallipoli and Italy here and there; this is basically a decision required to keep the thing manageable, and makes sense–the various other theatres in Africa, the Middle East, Asia were side-shows and had little, if any impact on the war. There are plenty of books on those if you want them.

You may, after finishing this, want to go on to read a book about the sequel (WWII), or get into the treaty negotiations, for which I recommend Paris 1919.

This one is excellent.

First World War by John Keegan

I would say the second book you ought to read on the topic is Cataclysm: The First World War as Political Tragedy by David Stevenson. Not only does it go through the lead up to war, but answers the question “why did both sides continue it for so long, so pointlessly?”.