He Named Me Malala - documentary. Why the title?

Considering there are people who want to kill her for who she is and what she stands for, yes.

You’re pretty much demeaning who she is, what she’s lived through (and almost died for) and what she can accomplish.

No, I’m suggesting that she focus on school and developing herself as a socially adjusted person.

Then spend the next 60 years fighting for her causes.

Your life experiences help define who you are.

Look at any recent leader. Was Obama out changing the world at 17? No, he was a normal high school kid and on the basketball team. His social experiences growing up made him a natural leader.

There’s more to preparing yourself for public service than education. You have to develop yourself as a well rounded person too.

She might play basketball too. Don’t worry about it, she’s much more likely to be a “socially adjusted person” than most.

It’s just not normal for a teen to be this driven and intense.

Every time I hear her name she’s being appointed to something. UN Messenger of Peace is the latest.

I raised two daughters. There were times I wished they took their futures more seriously. But not to this extreme.

Malala was shot almost 5 years ago (Oct. 2012). Since then she’s lived in a free country and free to study and grow into adulthood. But it seems she’s under enormous outside pressure to be a social activist at a young age.

I don’t think anyone tried to assassinate him for his political views as a young teenager. Those little aspects will tend to shape your worldview somewhat.

“Normal” includes a wide range of behavior. By “enormous pressure” are you implying she is being used as a tool by others and not following her own path? I haven’t followed her story closely, but that would surprise me. Anyway, being a “social activist” correlates pretty well to being 17, as far as I can tell. I know I was pretty intense at that age about stopping US support for Apartheid. I still had time to goof off and develop my social skills. (not necessarily successfully)

It’s not normal for anyone to be this intense and driven. That’s what exceptional means.

She has the potential to not only do great things but great things that benefit the world.
And you want her to take it easy. extreme rolleyes

Her father puts enormous pressure on her. Even before the shooting.

Obviously, outside forces are getting her these public appointments and awards. She’s the face of their agenda.

I think Malala will accomplish a lot in life. I just wonder at what personal cost.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Everything has a cost. Few things have as much upside as what she’s doing. Overall, I see no reason to worry or “wonder.”

Young people need to step up and change the world. Old folks sure aren’t doing us any good.

Maybe Nelson Mandela should have just chilled out and enjoyed the climate on Robben Island. It’s quite mild weather around Cape Town. All that being a symbol for equal rights must have been a huge burden on someone who was becoming a senior citizen at the time. Too much stress isn’t good for older people. Learning deep breathing exercises and enjoying a Mediterranean climate might have had a good effect on him.

??? What does Mandela have to do with this? He was in prison.

Malala was shot almost 5 years ago. She’s living comfortably in England. Free to study and pursue her education.

I’m only suggesting that she needs time to develop socially too. Process what happened to her in Pakistan. That’s a critical part of maturing into adulthood.

Why do you think schools offer music and the arts? Sports and after school clubs? It’s all about creating a well rounded experience for their students.

A well adjusted person is better equipped to face life as an adult.

I do too, and in case anyone would like to help her with that, here’s a link to her fund.

I just am not understanding why you think she’s not exposed to “music and the arts” or won’t have a social life. As you say, she’s free to study and pursue her education. What more do you want?

Or, possibly, she has been processing everything that happened to her for the past 5 years, and has chosen of her own free will to follow this path?

She’s free to study and get educated now. The problem is there are hell of a lot of kids, especially girls, who aren’t. She wants to do something about it. I admire that.

Maybe it’s just the reporting.

Sure seems like every second of her life is strictly scheduled towards school or social activism.

Maybe she does have a private life that includes friends and normal activities. I hope so.

What she has already accomplished is more than most of us will in our entire lifetimes.

My wife was an alpine ski coach in NH when Mikaela Shiffrin (2017 Overall World Cup winner) was a kid and beating everyone else in the state, male/female no matter the age. She’s just 22 now, and the best in the world. Other racing parents would complain about her training, saying she needed to more stuff like all the other kids did; sleep overs, t-shirt races, free skiing. My wife’s response was “You have no idea what raising a true prodigy is like. Skiing is a completely different thing to her than it is to your kids; she might as well be competing in a different sport. Mikaela isn’t like your kid and her needs are completely different.”

I suspect that’s true for Malala as well. She’s not a normal kid and her needs are very different than your average teenager.

I went to Blue Coat!

Oh for fuck’s sake. She was shot for demanding education for women and her school was blown up. It is just possible that suggesting she’s not “focused on school” is the stupidest thing any human has ever said.

“You know, that Gandhi was a pretty cool guy. But think about what he could have accomplished if he wore a suit!”

To be honest, she appears to be a helluva lot more “socially adjusted” than most people who haven’t been shot in the face.