Head shops will kick you out if you say the word "bong?"

Oh, you youngsters! I can remember when a dime bag—so-called because it cost 10 USD—was an ounce of pot and a nickel bag—5 USD—was a half-ounce. This was back in the early 70s, before I was old enough to come into contact with the items themselves.

In Virginia, chain pharmacies carry rolling papers. But, they also carry loose tobacco.

Well, hookahs are tobacco water pipes, but they’re completely different. My point was that calling them water pipes doesn’t make it the least bit believable that anyone would use them for tobacco, but it seems to give them a legal fig leaf as long as they say they’re for tobacco. But why couldn’t they have the same fig leaf and call them bongs? Why couldn’t they put up a sign that says “These bongs are for tobacco only”? Would it really be any less believable than a sign that says “These are water pipes. Do not call them bongs”?

:eek: I sure hope you meant to type “paraphernalia” there.

Lawyers, and the type of illogic that seems to affect all politicians when it comes to drug legislation.

Which seems odd, because a few of the stores have signs depicting marijuana leaves. Then again, they might try to justify it by saying they symbols are “hemp leaves”. Oh, and all the visible references to “420” are in reference to some state road. :rolleyes:

Interesting discussion, all.

Well, there’s hookah smokers, who partake of flavored tobacco. I’m sure you could use hookahs for marijuana as well, but walk into any hookah bar and you’ll see a bunch of people, usually Middle Eastern guys, smoking tobacco.

Still, I’d be doubtful that anyone at any point in history has used those psychedelically colored pipes they sell in the head shops for smoking tobacco.

Put me down as a history maker! I had a bong laying around and my cigarette broke in half as I was about to light it. I looked at the bong, then at the cigarette, and I thought hmmm… let’s try this! I emptied the tobacco into the bowl and tried to smoke it a la weed.

It didn’t turn out well at all, but I did try!

Eh, I’m sure convenience stores also sell depictions of paraphilias, as long as they’re legal of course. :wink:

It’s certain someone has used a bong to smoke tobacco at some point. Heck, as per Annie-Xmas and Kimstu here, someone probably misheard what it was for and tried using it as a sex aid.

Oh, I’ve seen smoking devices that could easily do double duty as sex aids. One of my roommates got one as a gag gift for Christmas, and he was not amused.

At their lowest levels laws are defined by what police offices and prosecuting attorneys want to try and prosecute, and what they think a jury will lay a guilty verdict on.
From my conversations with people in the business, a lot of the “rules” associated with the business are basically gentlemen ’s agreements.
If a prosecutor wanted to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on wire taps and overtime for the cops they could probably close the shop and put everyone in jail on a misdemeanor paraphernalia charge. They would also waste a lot of money piss off a large group of voters.
Just the same, the head shop owners know not to locate their shops in certain areas, not to go over the top with advertising, and they, wink wink, only sell tobacco products. A head shop owner that makes waves with the rich and powerful “think of the children” types will soon find a lot of cop cars around pulling over his customers and driving off his business.

10 bucks for 28 grams of weed!!! No wonder the 70’s were so messed up.

70’s weed was mostly plain, brown dope and not very potent. You had to smoke a lot of it to catch a buzz. The hybrids that came on the scene in the 80’s are supercharged by comparison.

A few years ago I was camping and went to the closest gas station for some bait. They had these weird little things shaped like small hand grenades. I picked one up and noticed the top came off. Inside the top was a grinder, and the bottom was hollow. There was a middle layer that consisted of a screen.

I asked the clerk what it was, and she told me it was a “tobacco grinder”.

I laughed. I’ve known many tobacco smokers – pipes, roll-your-own, store-bought – and had never heard of any of them needing to grind their tobacco.
:rolleyes:

Who knew? I guess you learn something new every day.

What scumpup said. Plus, $3.25/hr was a decent wage, at least for a teenager.