Help me combat my rock & roll/popular music ignorance

Minneapolis Funk-Rock (early 80s-early 90s)

Prince
Prince and the Revolution
Prince and the New Power Generation
The Time
Jesse Johnson’s Revue
Shiela E
Vanity 6/Apollonia 6
others

Shock Rock - Alice Cooper, KISS, New York Dolls, David Bowie

Influenced acts like King Diamond, Skinny Puppy, NIN, Marilyn Manson, GWAR

Bubblegum music: late 60s/early 70s

Bands: The Archies, Ohio Express, 1910 Fruitgum Company, The Cuff Links.

This genre is very light pre-to-early-teen pop, and songs were typically meant to be hit singles. Many, though not all, bubblegum bands were invented by producers–as a result, bands were formed and reformed constantly, often out of the same personnel. So you also should be looking to a few individual artists (I believe that Ron Dante, for example, did lead vocals for both the Archies and the Cuff Links), and certain producers (Jerry Kazenatz and Jeff Katz were prominent in the genre) to get the total picture.

If I had to pick the best album of all time, that would probably be the one, just because I never fast-forward a single song from it when it comes on my mp3 player, despite the fact that I’ve heard it about 20 billion times.

My list:
80s American indie rock: Husker Du, The Replacements, The Minutemen, The Meat Puppets, R.E.M. (the albums on I.R.S.), Sonic Youth, Dumptruck, Mission of Burma, The Embarrassment, Yo La Tengo, Violent Femmes, The Feelies.

For international 80s indie/alternative: Robyn Hitchcock, The Go-Betweens, Hoodoo Gurus, The Pogues, Julian Cope, The Jesus & Mary Chain.

All Music Guide has a really thorough summary of Pop and Rock subgenres here. Also, believe it or not, I even find the iTunes Music Store’s Essentials pages an easy way to acquaint myself with a genre or period (links open iTunes if you have it): Genres & History, School of Rock.

Jam bands - Mostly 90s bands inspired by The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers - Phish, Dave Mathews Band, Rusted Root, Blues Traveler, Widespread Panic, OAR, Spin Doctors

Britpop - British alt rock from the 90s - Mostly Oasis and Blur.

Indie Garage Rock Revival - The Hives, The Vines, The Strokes and The White Stripes. Also bands like Kings of Leon, Jet, Arctic Monkeys, The Fratellis, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

New Wave - syth heavy 80s punk inspired bands with skinny ties like Billy Idol, Ah Ha, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, Men at Work

Arena Rock - Big loud hard rock bands from the 70s and 80s - Boston, Styx, Kansas, Journey

Brittish Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath

There’s the 60’s pre-punk/garage bands. MC5 The Stooges, Velvet Underground,13th Floor Elevators,Count Five.

Also Rockabilly/first wave Rock & Roll. Carl Perkins,Eddie Cochran,Vince Taylor,Gene Vincent.

When it all began:

Elvis Presley, a teenager with somewhat outrageous haircut and clothes, walks in to the Sun Studios, July 18, 1953, and is received by Marion Keisker, and wants to cut an acetate.

“What kind of a singer are you?” Keisker asked.
“I sing all kinds.”
“Who do you sound like.”
“I don’t sound like nobody.”
“Hillbilly?”
“Yeah, I sing hillbilly.”
“Who do you sound like in hillbilly?”
“I don’t sound like nobody.”

And the it began: Rock’n’roll.
He was the greates who ever was, is or ever will be. Chuck Berry
He broke the ice for all of us. Al Green
No one, but no-one, is his equal, or will be. Mick Jagger
When I first heard Elvis’ voice I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody. Bob Dylan
When we were kids growing up in Liverpool, all we ever wanted to be was Elvis Presley. Paul McCartney
He started the ball rolling for us all. Jim Morrison
Elvis was God-given, there’s no other explanation. Little Richard
I was the Elvis Presley of boxing. Muhammed Ali

California soft/country rock (not necessarily Californian, but I have a friend who calls it that, and I like the label)
Late 1960s - Early 80s

Later Byrds stuff
Flying Burrito Brothers
Linda Ronstadt
Eagles
Jackson Browne
Poco
Pure Prairie League

I seem to be the only one who likes Lindsey Buckingham era Fleetwood Mac. Lately every thread that mentions them has to make sure only the early stuff counts.

Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Tiësto, Sasha, Digweed

I seem to be the only one who likes Lindsey Buckingham era Fleetwood Mac. Lately every thread that mentions them has to make sure only the early stuff counts.

Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Tiësto, Sasha, Digweed, Underworld, Armin van Buuren, Paul Oakenfold. Does Kraftwerk count?

Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Metallica and Black Sabbath.

Nu-Metal - Late 90s rap infused alternative metal - Korn, Kid Rock, Deftones, Godsmack, Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, P.O.D. and Staind.

I loved that stuff. And was amazed that I did; I’d been deeply into roots music & what later became Americana. (And had been hearing enough blues from surviving bluesmen that Yet Another Brit Blooz Band did not impress.) Stadium rock was decadent stuff I wouldn’t bother with. The NY Bohemian Rock scene was great! And the early punk noise from London was refreshing, even though I secretly preferred old farts like Nick Lowe & Dave Edmunds. I prided myself on hunting down relatively obscure records–obscure in Texas, at least.

Then “Go Your Own Way” came over the car radio…

I think you forgot Black Sabbath.

:smiley:

More southern rock - Marshall Tucker Band, Little Feat, The Outlaws

Surfin’ Music - The Beach Boys, The Ventures, Jan and Dean

Hair Metal, early 1980’s through early 1990’s.

Bands: Dokken, RATT, Motley Crue, La Guns, Poison, Warrant, Winger, Skid Row

Would the Beatles and the Rolling Stones qualify for this category, or do they need a different one?

Geek Rock:

Guster
Ben Folds
Ben Kweller
Weezer
Fountains of Wayne
They Might Be Giants
Barenaked Ladies

I’ve always listed these bands together in my own internal playlists, but it’s nice to know others saw what I saw.

Am I really the first to post a link to the School of Rock Chalkboard Map?

:wink:

No, you’re not. I never really warmed to Peter Green, and couldn’t stand Jeremy Spencer or Bob Welch. Danny Kirwan wrote some nice stuff, but it’s not in the same league as the best Buckingham/Nicks songs. Admittedly the group eventually did unbearably lightweight pop, and I mostly thought Christine (who came in with “Bare Trees,” I think) was weak. But the first two B/N albums are gems, and Tusk, while not one of my favorites, is at least interesting.