"Her father has threatened to horsewhip me on the steps of my club!" Really?

check definition number 2 of schlepping in Urban Dictionary. I think that a father finding someone schlepping his daughter is more likely to lay down a beating with a tyre-iron, than merely finding someone schtupping her. :wink:

Certainly that’s Victorian. She took the throne in 1841, after all.

Captain FitzRoy, R.N., and Mr William Sheppard had been Tory candidates at the Durham election before falling out - the details of their various grievances need not concern us here, but in August 1841 the two met outside the United Services Club in the Mall, Sheppard having apparently contrived the meeting with witnesses. Sheppard brandished a whip over his head and said, “Captain FitzRoy, I am not going to strike you. But, consider yourself horsewhipped.” FitzRoy struck back with his umbrella and, after an exchange of blows Sheppard fell. A friend of Sheppard cried “Don’t strike him, Captain FitzRoy, now he’s down!” and so the affair ended. Both published, at great length, their versions of the long-running vendetta.

Did they really ride everywhere in Victorian London? Hansom cabs seem to have become widespread by the 1860s, after which point I can’t imagine most people wanted the bother and expense of maintaining horses in the city. Certainly there were numerous horse-drawn freight wagons, public trams, and larger carriages, but I can’t imagine that anyone was cantering or trotting about London on the back of a horse.

I think he’s referring to the fact that even at the time of that horse-whipping, it was considered a relic of a previous time. From the contemporary account in the link:

So although that instance of whipping was certainly Victorian, witnesses at the time thought it a “row of the 18th Century kind.”

In the book Flashman, Flashman dishonors a mill owner’s daughter and refuses to marry her until her uncle threatens to take a whip to him in the public streets. The disgrace of such a thing causes Flashman to marry the girl. I think that back in the good old days, a man who submitted to a lashing lost all credit and his position in society.

I was reading an old sci-fi novel, Caesar’s Column. Towards the beginning of the book, a beggar accidentally spooks the horse of a coach driver, he dismounts from the coach with his whip and begins brutally whipping the beggar in the middle of a public park. The protagonist takes the whip from the coachman and begins whipping *him *in response. At which point a policeman sees the commotion and comes after the protagonist, thinking he started the whole thing.

This happened in the middle of a public park, and nobody seems to pay much mind to the public whippings, and the author treats it with such a dry matter-of-fact-ness that it seems like something completely ordinary.

Sherlock Holmes threatens to take the horsewhip to the bad guy for deceiving a lady client in one of the short stories; I think A Case of Identity. He makes some comment to the effect that if the lady had had a brother, the villain would have been horsewhipped, then notes that his own riding crop is available and offers to make up the deficiency. The villain flees.

A horse whip would be an everyday item for any family with carriages or wagons. It would be a easy weapon to grab if you wanted to punish someone.

Plenty of people ride motorbikes even though we have cars. AFAIK, yes it would have still been common to see people on horseback in the 1860’s. If it’s a sunny day and you owned a horse, why would you take a hansom cab, unless you were with company?

I’m a thankin ye.

Is that you, Alvin? :smiley:

Funny how back in the day the guilty party would be a “gentleman” or of the aristocratic class, but now it would be kind of thing we only associate with “trailer-trash” types.

Much more recently (1980s? early 90s?), a judge famously said that Alan Clark MP should be horse-whipped, after Clark slept with the judge’s daughter and his wife, and his other daughter.

I read an interesting book once, Honor and Violence in the Old South which pointed out how violent and suspicious antebellum Southern culture was. And then I read Albion’s Seed, which traced many aspects of southern culture to the English aristocrats who settled in that area.

One of my favorite quotes from “In the Heat of the Night” is when Rod Steiger says to Sidney Poitier; “Boy, it would give me a world of satisfaction to horsewhip you, Virgil!”

A horsewhipping, then a medal, jeez.

On the other hand, if you’ve read his novel The Three Clerks, you will remember that one of the three main titular characters attends a dance where one Monsieur de la Barbe de l’Empereur gets danced to death by a robot in human female form. Apparently the robot goes haywire and keeps the monsieur dancing to the point of exhaustion. And we know that never happened.