Here's some free advice: Don't get cancer.

Great pictures, garygnu. I love the Disneyland one.

All the best for your recovery. Will you have to take some med or something for the partially missing salivary gland?

Damn I’m sorry. That sucks. I will do my best to heed your advice.

Just my own Public Service Announcement. :smiley:
My manager at work smokes, and whenever somebody’s looking for her and she’s outside, I tell them she’s busy giving herself cancer. She’s lost multiple relatives to breast cancer already, it just shows how addictive niccotine is.

Then I’m a step ahead in the fight, because after smoking for 22 years I quit about five years ago!

You let them take pictures of you fresh out of surgery?!? If I had seen a camera in anyone’s hands, I would have found the strength to slap it out of their hands!

Wait, I thought interferon was an antiviral drug, not a chemo agent.

Well, shit. Here’s hoping for a full recovery for you.

Hang in there, dude! Good-lookin’ divot you got there.

I had to have half of my parotid (a Superficial Parotidectomy) removed also, due to a Warthins tumor, which was, thankfully, benign. They moved a muscle from somewhere in my neck to fill in the hole and in order to prevent the salivary nerves from hooking up with the sweat glands so I wouldn’t sweat all over my cheek when I ate. It worked for that. Several years later, however, my ear is still numb.

Good luck in your recovery, garygnu. May all be well with you henceforth. I remember that bandage. :slight_smile:

K, following your advice so far. But I might change my mind someday.

But anyway, get well and be well, kiddo. Doctor’s orders.

Probably true (who am I to judge?), but a clasic surgeons error.

You have to have a pretty high opinion of your own skills to think you can help people by cutting them up with a knife, and the job self-selects for people who think they are better than they really are.

Dude looks better right after surgery than I do on an average day at work. Not fair.

Glad the surgery went well, brother. Feel better.

Its use against cancer is melanoma-specific. The idea is that that hyperactive immune system attacks stray melanoma cells. The numbers aren’t great, but it’s the best they have at the moment. (There are a couple new drugs coming out that could help if it progresses.)

Get well soon. You are a handsome man even with that hole in your neck.

One of my major goals in life is to stay out of hospitals until they come up with something other than catheters. I’m not even entirely sure how they work and I don’t want to know. I just know where they go, and NOOOO…

Get this: the first nurse who tried it on me did it wrong :eek:

:eek:

So all the pain and no results. Sorry, nurses, “uncomfortable not painful” is an inaccurate way to desribe it.

So a little while later a more experienced nurse did it correctly. At least it worked then.

It does look like the leadership in Washington is listening.

And I’m really sorry to hear of the struggles. My father had leukemia and it was not a lot of fun.

That’s not the Onion? Damn that guy is an idiot.

I normally sit on the fence in these discussions of highly controversial issues, but I’m gonna take a chance here and agree with the OP. I can think of hardly any circumstances when getting cancer is good.