Hey - There's a Cecil / Dope Answer on Jeopardy tonight [2012/06/11]

Just an FYI for you…the show is syndicated and doesn’t play at a set time everywhere. It is on at 4:30 PM here.

I interpreted it as Trebek claiming to be smarter that Cecil. “Yeah, Cecil Adams says this, but I already knew that.”

Saw it too, and didn’t get it.

On a side note, was that not the strangest Final Jeopardy ever? First time I’ve ever seen everyone get the Final Jeopardy question wrong, including the Jeopardy people.

Thank you, Veruc–I mean, ambushed.

Right now all you have is the glow of having done A Good Thing, but let’s see what we can do to burnish that a little.

So what was “Final Jeopardy?” It’s not often they mess up.

Category was something like “Events in the Bible.”

Answer was "According to Acts 1:13, this event took place in an upper room.’

From my couch I said Pentecost, as did the Champion, but Alex said the correst response was the Last Supper

The writers were incorrect.

It was actually none of the things mentioned. Acts 1:13 leads up to the story where the 11 disciples chose a replacement for Judas. Not sure how that got by the fact checkers.

Wow, I bet that gets revisited. Not often they have a big oopses like that.

As an aside, I didn’t know that from Cecil, but I did know it from a play I once saw about a fictitious but plausible meeting between Irving Berlin and Scott Joplin
(spoilered because it contains the name of the composer-- It doesn’t spoil the play itself).

You’re welcome. Thanks for the kind words.

Oops. I thought it was a national network program, but, er… “I knew that”

Hi, BigT! Thanks for sticking up for me in that doctor problem thread a while back.

Anyway, as you can see, that’s more or less the impression I got, too. However, after watching it again while I was capturing the video for uploading, I now agree with what Twoflower said above. Think of the category title as if it had read: “I Didn’t Learn About You from Adams”. Twoflower’s analysis of the category’s lameness is spot on, too.

Well, in the end it didn’t quite get past them. Elaine’s response was “The Last Supper”, which Alex ruled correct (which it definitely was not, as you point out). I’m very far from knowing chapter and verse, as they say, but that just seemed wrong to me (although I didn’t know the correct answer).

Actually, the correct response was “Pentecost” (see, for example: Pentecost in the New Testament, which cites Acts 1:13), which was Aaron’s answer. But Trebek wrongly said he got it wrong!

Which explains the otherwise very confusing comments Trebek made immediately at the end of the show about undefined “errors” and that Aaron actually won ~ $12,000 instead of the much lower winning total he was awarded after his “wrong” response. His extremely brief comments baffled me until you prompted me to check out the specified verse. Thank you!

Actually, that’s not even exactly right. Acts 1:13 deals with the selection of Matthias to replace Judas. The story of Pentecost begins at Chapter 2. Acts 1:13 specifically refers to “an upper room” (in the edition I’m looking at, it’s “the room upstairs.”) Chapter 2 says the Apostles were “all together in one place,” but doesn’t say whether it was the same place.

Of course, the Gospels of both Mark and Luke specifically say the Last Supper was held in an upper/upstairs room.

So everyone was wrong, including the contestants and the writers. But everyone was understandably wrong. Rather like “People Who Have Never Been in My Kitchen.”

Well, I was right back in post 26, so I’ve got that going for me!

Oh, I get it! For some reason, I thought that the category was Final Jeopardy, but upon rereading I see it was in Double Jeopardy. Thanks!

Actually, I think even the clarification was misleading. To my ear, Trebek’s statement implied that Aaron ended up with $12,002; the point was that Aaron’s incorrect final dollar amount was increased by $12,002. - - $6001 for getting the right answer, and the $6001 that had been incorrectly docked. If I’m mistaken, correct away. I can take it.

Very nice. It made me very happy to see that.

Figures this happened on one of those occasional days when my DVR had a glitch and didn’t record the show. :frowning:

This reminds me of what someone, I can’t recall who, said about Tom T. Hall: I like all of his songs and both of his melodies. :slight_smile: