Hollywoodland

Well, I could always change MY name.

Jim Beaver

It’s hard for me to go see a movie in which the critics say the best thing about it is Ben Affleck’s acting!! :eek:

Saw an “advance screening” last night (why they did it the night before it opened is beyond me, but…), and I really enjoyed it. I am by no means a movie buff, but I thought the acting was quite good all around – Ben Affleck was a great choice for Reeves, and I found him very believable; I imagine he might have some insight into the whole ebb and flow of fame in Hollywood. The physical and stylistic differences between him and Adrian Brody was really great – it really highlighted the sort of stylised “Old Hollywood” feel of the scenes with Reeves and Mannix, and it made both Simo and Reeves sympathetic characters but in very different ways.

I really liked it. I’d like to see it again to look for the nuances, now that I know where they’re going with the story.

I don’t know that the best thing about it was Affleck’s acting; it may just be that that is most surprising given the other work he’s done lately.

Indeed, although NPR’s film critic wasn’t completely won over by the film, he thought Affleck was suprisingly good.

Wow. That’s got to be one of the finest first posts ever. Welcome aboard, jumblejim!

Affleck was on Leno this week and he talked about this, but I wasn’t sure what he meant by it. Are we supposed to think that 50’s actors moved and talked in real life like that, or that the Hollywoodland actors assumed that style to highlight the differences for this movie?

I grew up with Reeves as Superman, and from the clip I saw, Affleck did a good job as Reeves. He said he watched every Superman episode – 104 of them – and he gained 25 pounds.

Another interesting thing Affleck pointed out was how things have changed since that time, when the beefy male was the standard for leading men. So it’s changed for men as well as women. Thin is in, for both sexes.

jumblejim, very interesting! I was wondering if could share any insight as to why some people think it was murder. In other words, were there people who wanted him dead, for whatever reason? Was he sleeping with a married woman, etc.?

jumblejim, welcome. Please stick around.

Little trivia fact (which I’m sure our esteemed guest knows about)…George Reeves played one of the Tarleton twins in the movie Gone With the Wind..

Ditto Jim. It’s an honor and privilege to have you join us. I know you have many demands that limit your time, but I hope you will post here as often as you can. If you take time to read the various Deadwood threads here, you will find a great many fans of your performance as Whitney Ellsworth, and an equal number of us who were moved by Ellsworth’s soliloquy to that little dog just before Hearst’s goons put an end to his life. I also noticed you in a couple of A&E specials about Mr. Reeves and the Hollywoodland film and would like to say again that your joining with us to discuss it is a most pleasant surprise.

I’d be interested to know how jumblejim found our happy little site.

ivylass, I sent him the link. Jim used to participate in the Deadwood Yahoo group, and I had his e-mail from there. I knew he was writing a bio of Reeves and would have a lot of information.

So, is Affleck gonna get an action figure of himself dressed as Reeves’ Superman, to go with his Daredevil?

Jim, I’ve been a Days of Our Lives addict from way back. I cannot believe it’s actually you!

And George Reeves played Brent Tartleton (and India Wilkes was played by Caro Rhett. Odd coincidence that).

Cool!

The NY Times had a really nasty review today: not so much of the movie, but Manohla Dargis jumped up and down on George Reeves’ grave:

Yow!!

Yeah, that review was pretty much uncalled for.

What I find interesting about this whole case is that Mannix alledgedly threatened Reeves after his wife’s affair was over, and it is implied that he was mad because Reeves dropped Toni. But I have no problem believing this was suicide. One’s loved-ones always think their son/fiance/etc couldn’t do something like that.

A slight correction, Annie, respectfully made: George Reeves played Stuart Tarleton in Gone With The Wind . Brent Tarleton was played by Fred Crane .

I wonder if the choice of Ben Affleck was wise, given the recent backlash against him for his personal life, and his recent string of films with little box office success. To his credit, he handled the downturn with self-effacing good humor, but I don’t see why the movie would risk using him as the main character when a number of other actors have as much talent, if not more, and without the recent downturn.

I didn’t know about an Affleck backlash – what’s he done?

Maybe they cast him because of his ordinary looks. He could be anybody. Reeves had that “everyman” look too. If he mugged you and you had to describe him to the police artist, it’d be pretty difficult. But if he smiled as he was mugging you, that’d be easier – he had a dazzling smile.

Being unfaithful to Matt?