Hot dogs

I can’t recall the last time I had a hot dog.

I think I have a box of the ones that plump when you cook them in my fridge, but they are so old I should probably throw them out. Literally years old.

I’ve never had Armour, but Oscar Meyer and Ballpark hot dogs are just weird to me. They don’t even taste like what I consider to be hot dogs and have this odd, squishy texture.

This is not to say that I don’t occasionally buy that type of hot dog–I do because they often go on sale for $1/package (usually, it’s the Scott Petersens that go on sale for that price, but it’s fine, as I prefer them to Oscar Meyer, anyway) and I can find creative things to do with them (usually, just chop them up and use them as an additional protein in scrambled eggs. Or, don’t laugh, as the meat in kimchi stew.) I just don’t really enjoy them eaten as an actual hot dog.

I don’t buy Hebrew National because the commercials keep trying to tell me that the front shoulder is the best meat. I admit it’s a pretty stupid reason, the front shoulder meat they use is probably as good as or better than the hind quarter meat used in non-kosher dogs. It just seems like an insult to my intelligence. I can see using the kosher practices to advertise quality control or cleanliness, but to say, we only use the front end because it’s better meat. Nah

Now as I grow older if I’m putting something in a bun it’s usually a Johnsonville hot Italian sausage.

The low fat Ballpark Franks + a half can of Nalley turkey chili makes for a quick low calorie meal that feels like cheating, tons of sodium but that’s the case of all prepared foods.

Applegate Farms makes an organic all-beef dog that’s pretty damned good. If you don’t care about that, Hebrew National or Nathan’s are both good.

There is a marked difference between front quarter (chuck) and hind quarter (round.) Personally, if I’m making beef sausage, I will always go for chuck over round, because it’s better suited for sausage making, in my opinion. The hind quarter requires extra fat to be added, and I don’t think it’s as flavorful as the front. Pork is similar.

I’m not familiar with the commercials (I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Hebrew National commercial), but their claim of “best” can certainly be defended, although it’s all relative, so essentially it doesn’t mean much.

Sticking to hot dogs (yes, I prefer brats as well), I’m fine with plain ol’ Ball Park or Oscar Meyer hot dogs.

I pan fry the things, putting them in a hot skillet, dumping a small amount of water to add steam, and then crisping the skin after the water burns off. They’re delicious that way, imho.

I never, ever, ever boil a hot dog or cook it in the microwave. They’re just horrible when prepared like that.

We get Boar’s Head brands around here. Sometimes the natural casing all beef dogs are available. I like the snap too, and definitely prefer all beef. Sabrett and Hebrew National are pretty good too. If chili isn’t available, I go with mustard and relish.

The best hotdogs, without a doubt, are the cheese filled Oscar Mayer wieners. They’re so expensive though ($4 a package! It’s highway robbery!) I only buy them once in awhile. Otherwise I usually buy the 98¢ a package brand, whatever that happens to be.

Look, before you get all indignant, hot dogs are a childhood comfort food for me so I like them that way, OK? ok. Hot dog buns are the only white bread I eat too, I can’t stand wheat hot dog buns.

The low-fat variety are less salty, and in my opinion taste better.

Back in my former life, I worked at a Photon (motto: We’re not Lazer Tag) and we had the most wonderful cheap ass institutional hot dogs ever at our concessions counter. “Snap”, with the zing and saltiness and enough actual flavor that you really didn’t need condiments. I have no idea what they were, sadly. Sold in a plain brown cardboard box with a nondescript white label with black printing I don’t recall, a clear plastic bag inside holding prob’ly a hundred dogs. I still dream of those hot dogs.

Vienna Beef with the casing comes closest. Hebrew Nationals and Nathan’s are quite good, too. But they’re all pretty expensive, so our go-to dogs are the beef ones from Aldi, which aren’t great, but not terrible, either. Better than Oscar-Meyer, anyhow.

All-beef Hebrew Nationals are what I eat in the US. The only kind I can buy here are Bryan’s pork hot dogs. I don’t think I’d ever heard of an all-pork hot dog before I saw those.

My mother always boiled them. I’m lazy (and don’t have a pot big enough now) so I microwave them. I’m not sure what you’re getting to in the OP but I don’t remember boiled hot dogs tasting any worse than zapped ones.

I won’t comment on condiments but will note that New England-style hot dog rolls are definitely preferable.

I actually prefer turkey-dogs when you get them from the store. But the best hotdogs I’ve ever had actually just came from a gas station. (Not the same one that had the best burgers). It was like a weird combination of bratwurst and hot dog. Plump enough to be a brat, made like a hot dog, and somewhere in between with spices.

Unfortunately, someone drove their car into that station, and the owners, rather than rebuild, converted it into a card only pump and automatic carwash. Oddly enough, a cigar shop bought the building and did repair it, but went out of business soon afterwards.

Boar’s Head is available near where I work. I’ll have to try their dogs.

I usually get kosher dogs of one brand or another - they tend to taste better, probably because they are made with better-quality ingredients.

Also, natural casings. Natural casings all the way.

Just don’t think about them too hard.

Agreed - Salumi is fantastic… but if I ever visit Pittsburgh, I’ll head straight for the “Dirty O” to see if my memories from CMU days are correct.

I agree, though I much prefer the Reduced Fat ones to the Low Fat ones.

Hebrew National is my favorite national brand. I like their firmness and saltiness. The farm share I get sometimes includes hot dogs (it’s a meat share not a produce share, so that’s not weird). Great flavor and texture, but I am having a hard time getting used to the natural casings.

What are hot dogs made from? Every part of the pig except the oink.

Reading this thread is making me crave a dog (and I just ate dinner).
mmm

Nathan’s Famous hot dogs pioneer dead at 89

Holy cow, what timing. It’s like you planned it or something.

No I didn’t. I’ve been here. All day.