How bookish is your house?

I’ve never counted the number of volumes, but there are about 64’ of bookshelves in our apartment. Can’t really say every room. Our living room and dining room are sort of one, but if there were a wall beween them there’d be no books in the living room. None permenently housed there anyway, there is a stack of 4 or five on the end table, and one or two tucked in cubbies in the coffee table - oh and the library table is in there…yeah - books in every room. Not the bathrooms though, my husband takes extremely hot steamy showers. Books would wilt in there. I park a book on the dressing table right outside the lavatory.

My sister house and dog-sat for a co-worker once and at first she couldn’t put her finger on what was seeming not quite right. Then it dawned on her - no books. None. No magazines. NOTHING to read. At all. It freaked her out.

oh and Dinsdale, count me as a “me too” in your poll!

raises hand

Don’t forget the overstuffed chair and the fireplace.

My Kitchen is the only room in the house without a book in it. I have many many in all the others.

Only one or two in the bathroom (unless the kids are visiting, they they’ll have theirs as well), about ten in the kitchen; then over fifty each in the front room, computer room, and two bedrooms.

Yes, I want to library with the wheeled ladder. I’ll settle for a library. Mmmmmm, Library.

Ah, yes, my bedrooms have vastly more books. And there are more in the attic.

All four bedrooms have book shelves which are full but I have never counted how many. The family room has one also as well as my office. LR, DR, Kitchen, do not contain any books. (Maybe the kitchen should so people would stop abusing my lack of cooking skills.)

I would estimate the family goes through well over 100 books per year but we only keep hard covers and only then if they will be reread. I donate the rest to one of my employees who sends them over to her child’s unit in Iraq.

We have over fifty books in the master bedroom, den and living room. We have two in the guest bedroom and none in the kitchen and dining room and none in the bathrooms. I usually keep one in the car in case I have to wait for someone.

Sometimes. I have a library with floor to ceiling bookshelves (no ladder, alas) and most of my books are kept in there. About 1500, BTW.

The dining room has no books kept in it and will only have a book in there occasionally – if I set one down on the table or something on the way to the library, say.

The kitchen has the cookbooks – 50 at last count.

The living room has one shelf with my 'about to read next" books. Usually about 10 - 12.

No shelves in the sun room. There might be one book in there at any given time, if my son or I was reading in there.

The spare room over the garage has all my craft books up there. About 15 - 20, I guess.

Downstairs bathroom usually has no books, unless I’ve set one down in there and haven’t gotten around to putting it away. That doesn’t happen often, since it’s the guest bathroom and I usually try to keep it redded up if I can.

Daughter’s room has her books – maybe 30 -50 of them. She’s a college student and doesn’t read much for pleasure. her books are mostly ‘work’ books.

Guest room – no shelves and rarely has any books in it, unless we have a guest who likes to read.

Son’s room – has his books (100 or so) on shelves. If he’s home, then there will also be any of my books he’s taken up there to read.

Upstairs bath. Usually no books. If my son is home, though, this is the bathroom he uses and he likes to read in the tub. So, if he’s home there will be a stack of books up there until he or I bring them back down and put them away.

Master bedroom & bath – no shelves, but usually a book or 4 which I’m reading or have recently read, but haven’t put away yet.

No books in the bathroom (4 people sharing one bathroom means do what you need to do and get the heck out of there). Also no place for books in the current kitchen. Every other space in the house makes up for that, though.

1-2 in each bathroom, old books (50?) in the living room, several hundred in every other room.

There are no books in the laundry room :stuck_out_tongue:

In spirit, yes we have 10+ books in every room. In point of fact, not quite. There is no shelf space in the kitchen for any books, so my 300-book cookbook collection is in the hallway. While I have a basket full of Nature and Scientific American magazines in my bathroom, there is usually only one book or so - current reading that I forgot to take out with me, for example.

The other rooms more than make up for any such lapses. We have hundreds upon hundreds of books here and there – in fact one reason we chose our current apartment is because there is a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf that extends for about 15 feet in length. It is so full of books that shelves sag.

There are books all over my house. I can’t think of even one room where there’s not multiple books. Except if you count the sauna as a room. It destroys books, so no books in there.

I don’t have the library with the little ladder, but I do have stacks right here in my office. Like library stacks - walls made of bookcases set back to back. Only one “wall” at the moment, but my Dad has promised to build me another four bookshelves so I can do another row if needed. I’m in the process of organizing all the books so until that’s done I won’t know.

I live in a studio. But there’s tons of books all around. Some in the bookshelf where they belong, some on the bed, some on the sidetable, some on my computer table…they rarely stay where they’re “supposed” to.

Hmmm - kitchen, no books. Cookbooks are in the pantry in the hallway.
Dining Room - four or five books. R&R Encyclopedias, Video Encyclopedias - use often enough to not bring them upstairs.
Living Room - usually 3-4 books. In the middle of being read. Sometimes has a box full from the library that they were pitching.
Hallway - phone books in the closet.
Master bedroom - no books.
Son’s room - full of books.
Third bedroom - all books. Covering one entire wall, most of the furniture, a good portion of the floor, etc. Someday I will take a picture for you guys. It’s kinda unbelievable.
Garage - bunch of books. Haven’t made it inside yet.

ETA - Bathrooms - no books. National Enquirers yes, books, no.

I dont’ have any books in the kitchen and there’s only a couple in the bathroom and the bedroom. The living room has about 60 books in it, 40 on a vertical book case and the rest on the coffee table. But my library has approximately 75’ linear feet of bookshelves as well as books piled on the tops of the book cases.

50+ books live in each of the bedrooms, the office, and the living room. Bathrooms get magazines and catalogs. There are peripatetic piles of books and magazines of varying sizes in the kitchen and dining room. Only the laundry room remains reading-material free.

Sitting Room - 300+
Bedroom #1 - 10-20
Bedroom #2 - None
Kitchen - 20ish
Sunroom - 200 or so
Living room - 15
dining room - none
Basement rec room - Books? that is where the 55 inch big screen is. No books allowed.
Bathroom - sports trivia book. does that even count?

No books in the bathrooms, only because I’m more likely to bring one of the books I’m currently reading with me when I go in there.

Nothing in the kitchen because there’s no place to keep them; my cookbooks are currently on one of those media racks in the dining room, but I may relocate them to the counter between the kitchen and dining room soon.

Living room has a bookcase and several boxes, probably around a hundred or so total. There’d be more there, but most of the available shelf space is taken up by my video and CD collection.

At least a hundred books in the bedroom, most of them paperbacks in my “to be read” collection. There’d be more, but I still haven’t finished unpacking from my move of almost a year ago.

The second bedroom is the “library” and storage area. Boxes and boxes of books, magazines, and comics which I’m in the process of unpacking and sorting. Currently three tall bookcases of hardcovers, some unread and some I’m trying to decide if I want to keep or sell.

In the hallway outside the second bedroom is another tall bookcase, and there’s a small bookcase in the entry foyer which currently has my gardening books because I couldn’t think of another place to keep them.

Oh, and my outside storage unit, (about 3’ by 6’ IIRC) is packed solid with boxes of books.

We have 200+ books in the lounge, 50 or so in the study (although most of those are big medical textbooks or my husband’s programming books), 150 or so in the upstairs bedroom.

I don’t allow books in the bathrooms because I like to eat finger foods while I read in bed or on the sofa and I think that combining this habit with a reading-while-sitting-on-the-lavatory-habit is just asking for trouble. Books are very effective fomites. My husband keeps his computer and movie magazines in the bathrooms though.

I have tried to keep books out of the guest bedroom, but since our friends stay with us about once a week, they are slowly accumulating a pile of books beside the futon, I think it is about 10 books high now, but I don’t really want to intrude on “their” space to check it out.

I buy a book every couple of weeks, my husband buys a book and a magazine every month… we’ve been living in this house for a year, and things can only get worse.