How comfortable is Amtrak coach?

I did an overnight from Seattle to Havre, MT in a Superliner coach and it was pretty good, if you don’t get hung up on how much slower it is than flying and how much time the train seems to spend stopped in the middle of nowhere. If you bring a good book, you can expect to get some serious reading done. I devoured most of a Sherlock Holmes anthology and Schott’s Original Miscellany.

On the plus side, that train takes a scenic route through Glacier. That alone made up for the sins it committed.

Yes, the food is expensive and not that good. It isn’t, however, bad food, and nobody cares if you bring your own. The seats don’t lie flat, but they do recline quite a ways, and if you have a couple seats to yourself you can get downright comfortable. However, I was always able to sleep most anywhere.

Once you get used to the gentle swaying of the train in motion, you can walk around with freedom, modulo the fact that the only paths are the narrow aisles between seats. It’s a lot better than being trapped in an airline or car seat, especially if you have medical problems that necessitate occasional walks.

And, of course, you can listen to your radio (be polite, bring headphones) if you want. How much of an advantage that is depends on the route, but it can be nice if you go through or near a lot of large towns.

I prefer aircraft for trips of any length, but the train is nice enough if you prepare for a long stretch of sitting in one spot.

Oh just to add, some trains have the rear as dedicated quite cars. The main lights will be off, and it is for you to turn off any noise making device (read cellphones), and also turn off your cell phone, and just enjoy a quite trip (because, if I didn’t mention everyone in that car has turned off their cellphones).

Usually, though, if you add on meals, and a private room, which is your only option if you want to be able to lie flat, the cost of train travel becomes stratospheric. Elsewhere, I described a proposed trip across country by train with full accommodations that we were planning to take. It seemed wonderful at the time–something to be done as a once-in-a-lifetime experience. However, research on Expedia and Orbitz revealed that if we dropped the train idea and flew, we could have both the tickets and the hotel stay for about the same money as just the rail fare with accommodations would have been.

Still, if for some reason I couldn’t or wouldn’t fly, I would consider Amtrak for the OP’s journey even if I did have to sit in coach, as I really dislike long car trips. Unless, of course, I was going to be terribly inconvenienced by not having my car at the destination.

I love trains so I’m always a fan no matter what. But - that being said – Amtrak is not as cheap as one may think. I never get a sleeper car – I always travel coach on their “regional” (code for slow) train but remain pretty happy and comfortable. Just get on the train in time to get a good seat and you’re set!

Seems from the above comments as though regional service is better in the Northeast, long-haul and sleeper service better in the West.

I too recommend the NY-Montreal run. I’m not far from Croton, NY and time enroute is 9 1/2 hours. Pack a lunch, bring a laptop, some crossword puzzles and a neck pillow. When not using these, enjoy great views of the Hudson River and Lake Champlain. You come into Montreal about dinnertime - Central Station in the heart of downtown.

Waiting for the train back, you can learn the words to “O Canada” from the friezes in the station. English on the one side, French on the other.

To be honest, I’d rather fly between Mtl and NYC than take the train. The train ride is nice, but it gets long. Having an outlet at your seat is nice though.

Sorry love! I did mention it in the “what are you doing for New Year’s?” thread, though. I stayed at the Quality Inn on Crescent Street, if that gives you a point of reference. I do plan on coming back now that my friend’s boyfriend up there has become her fiancee, and especially since the barback at Vocalz was cute and thought I was, too. :slight_smile:

Just have to say wow because that’s exactly what we did. Also a deck of cards, travel Connect 4, travel Scrabble, an Uno deck, vacation madlibs, dvds for the laptop, lots of snacks, and I brought a book and my mp3 player. We were fully entertained.

Take warning, though; the English lyrics are the old ones.

Thanks very much to everyone for the info. I think we’re going to give it a whirl!

No kids, dangermom, but the hubby and I are pretty immature, if that counts. :wink:

We’ll pack the standard travel kit: some samwiches and fruit and the cribbage board, and heck, if there are outlets, I can bring my laptop and some DVDs!

There were electrical outlets in our Zephyr car. Have fun!

Have fun!! Definitely pack snacks at least. You’ll feel pretty trashed the next day, as you won’t sleep all that well - so plan your next day’s activities (or lack) accordingly.

I wouldn’t try it with young kids - last year, we took the Auto Train to Florida and I saw families in coach, with young kids… I cringe at how their night and morning must have been (we splurged on sleeper accommodations). Since it’s just you and your spouse, that’s less of an issue.

Bring a blanket or something (your coat might do fine) in case the car is too cool for you to snooze comfortably.

The sleeper accommodations are cute but rather overpriced. I didn’t sleep especially well, but certainly better than I would have had we been in coach.

When <I>did</i> they change it to "O, Canada! Except, of course, Quebec?

speaking of the train -

I was pricing out tickets to leave from Major Metro Area to go to Other Major Metro Area, and they were cheaper than leaving from Minor Metro Area 12 miles along.

That is:

Major MA - at zero mile
Minor MA - at 12th mile
Other MMA - destination

it was cheaper to go from Major MA to OMMA than from Minor MA to OMMA - even though the distance was shorter and the train would stop there anyway. WTP? Anyone ever experienced this?

I think each station gets an allottment of tickets, so that people never find a situation where they just can’t get tickets from their city because all the tickets were used up from big city traffic. It may be that the major metro area had a lot more tickets assigned to them than the could handle, whereas the minor metro area was tight on tickets.