How do I get a stair challenged person upstairs?

I appreciate all the suggestions. The event is a memorial for my brother who passed away suddenly on Valentines Day. He lived out of state and we wanted a local service for friends and family who could not make the trip. She encouraged me to host, but was noncommittal about whether she could attend. I just want to explore any options to make her feel comfortable if she desires to come.

I will look into the web cam idea or at least a video.

Many thanks!

Is there a reason it has to be several flights up?

Back down the steps??!! Do you mean the person in the wheelchair is facing up the stairs as you are bringing them down? :eek::eek::eek:

If she doesn’t like bumps then I can see that would be a problem. But if she can tolerate a little bumping it’s not that hard for two people in reasonably good shape to haul someone in a wheelchair up or down some stairs. I suspect I am heavier than the little old lady in question (150 pounds as of about 6 months ago and I strongly suspect I’ve gained weight since then) and I’ve had friends haul me upstairs in a wheelchair many times. One person at the back tilts the chair a little back so the front wheels are off the ground (don’t tilt back too far or it becomes very difficult for the person at the back), one person at the front grabs the front (making sure you grab something sturdy) and the two of you haul the [del]victim[/del]person up or down the stairs. I haven’t given anyone a hernia yet!

On the topic of wheelchair athletes pulling themselves up stairs; I used to see some at a place where I used to work out (not, I am not and never have been athletic, but I did use a workout facility for the disabled many years ago). Those dudes have upper arms the size of normal people’s thighs! My jaw dropped the first time I saw someone pull that stunt.