How do you accumulate sick/personal leave & vacation time at work?

[QUOTE=vivalostwages]
Just out of curiosity:

How do you accumulate sick leave at your work?

6 days per year - accrued monthly

How about other personal leave time, if they count it separately?

Vacation time?

10 days per year - accrued monthly. If I make it to July of this year (5 years at my company), I’ll get 15 days per year

Do you lose any of the above hours if you don’t use them?

By strict definition, yes. But my direct boss will let you carry over on an as-needed basis.

Can you come in late or leave early if you have to?

Yes. Again, I work for a saint. :slight_smile: He’s very flexible & appreciates that I do my job and am loyal to a fault.
VCNJ~

Unfortunately, accumulating sick/personal time is not available to me. It really doesn’t matter though - every year I get 20 vacation days, 20 sick days, 5 personal business days, 9 regular holidays and 2 floating holidays.

Very few people where I work use all of their time off during a given year, but if someone does go beyond their limit, the company just keeps paying them anyway.

I’m very aware of the other categories, but as none of them apply to me (I am no longer a reservist, so I don’t take military leave any more) I don’t much pay attention to them. Plus the other categories aren’t accumulated, which is what the OP asked.

I don’t get sick time or PTO or anything of the sort. I’m not at work I don’t get paid.

I have a friend who gets no time off (excepting major holidays, unpaid) and any absence more than 5 minutes (!) counts as a tardy, three tardies in some time period (a month?) gets you fired. So, if she walks in at 8:06 because there was traffic, she’s got a tardy. Or. if she takes a 35 minute lunch rather than 30, she’s got a tardy. It’s absurd.

She is the marketing department for a very small manufacturer. She doesn’t answer phones, nor is she essential at 8 am. But, because the people in the shop have to be there right on time every day, she has to as well.

I’ll never get paid time off, but I’m okay with that, as I’m going into business for myself. :smiley:

I had to check my employee manual to answer this one! I’m an exempt, full-time employee in corporate America. I can only answer for exempt employees since my manual doesn’t cover the non exempt staff.

We all get 8 sick days and 2 personal days per year. You get them at the beginning of every year though they are pro rated a bit during your first year of employment. You can’t roll any over to the next year, and we don’t pay out for any sick or personal days not taken.

Vacation time depends on your level in the company. Exempt but non officered employees in their first 5 years of employment get 10 paid days per year. As you move up in officer or tenure status, you get more days. Currently, I get 20 days. The max is 25. However many days you are eligible for get pro rated throughout the year. If you leave at some point during the year, you’re paid for any days you’ve earned but not taken. If you’ve taken more than you’ve earned, it comes out of your final paycheck. You can roll over up to 5 days each year. If you have more than 5 days you haven’t taken, you lose them. We don’t pay out for days not taken. You have to take any rolled over days in the first 3 months of the year or you lose them.

We also get some paid floating holidays each year. Usually you earn those days when your department has to come in when the rest of the company is closed (like on a day when the markets are closed so most of the office is off but certain groups like IT, marketing, or finance need to come in). You can also earn them if your particular office is closed due to inclement weather or other issues and you come in anyway. This year, everyone got one floating holiday since our offices were open Monday after New Years Day. You earn your floating holiday immediately after whatever event occurs. You can’t roll them over and they have to be taken before any vacation time. If you leave before you’ve taken your floating holiday, you’re paid for that day.

I don’t get sick days or personal leave as a regular thing. We get a week of vacation time every six months. We also have an incentive program where we give each other “fish” certificates for doing a good job, and when you accumulate eight of those you can take a day off with pay. If you’re sick, you either trade a shift with someone, use a vacation day or a fish day, or you don’t get paid.

Our vacation days accrue at a rate of 1 week every six months, and if you don’t use it within a year of accruing it, you lose it. I have never heard of this being a problem for anyone. The great thing is, though, that you can often trade enough shifts to cover a week-long trip without having to use any of your vacation or fish days.

We don’t really get to come in late, although nobody will get all that terribly bent out of shape about you being a bit late because something cropped up. We often get to leave early, if everything is done and there are no emergencies on the way, but we just as often stay late because things still need to be done, or there’s a possible surgery coming in. We’re salaried, so we don’t get penalized for leaving early when it’s dead, but we don’t get any reward for staying late when it’s crazy. Overall, though, it balances out.

I have 25 vacation days a year, plus 10 days of paid holidays. Here in Switzerland, sick days don’t exist. If you are sick then you’re sick and don’t go to work. You have to present a note from the doctor if you are sick for more than 3 days in a row though.
As for working hours, I can pretty much come and go as I wish (within certain boundaries). I just have to make sure that I work my 2080 hours a year (40 hours a week). All hours worked are saved in your personal time account. Right now I have about +40 hours on my personal time account and 32 vacation days left. This means i could take little more than 7 weeks off this year though I doubt that I will be able to do that. The hours on the time account never expire, the vacation days expire after 6 months into the next year.

My personal leave accrues at the rate of 20 days per annum. The maximum amount that I can have accrued before my employer forces me to take leave is 50 days.

The sick leave entitlement is unlimited, with a doctor’s certificate required for absences of over 2 days. I assume that a cap would be put on the sick leave entitlement of anyone who was caught abusing the system.

I’ve never worked at a place where I accrued sick leave. If you are sick, you stay home. At one place after 2 weeks you go on disability, I don’t know about where I am now since it never came up.

We accrue vacation per pay period. We have just reduced the maximum you can accumulate. Almost everyone has a lot, and we’ve started forcing everyone to take the week of July 4 off to reduce it.

When I worked for AT&T we got a year’s worth Jan 1 - which was nice when I took the buyout package from the trivestiture, where I left Jan. 15 and got paid for the five weeks I got.

Right now, as a resident, I get three weeks every year–it doesn’t “accrue” or anything. I don’t have any official “sick leave”, but if I get sick and have to miss a day, people can cover for me.

According to my contract for my job next year, I accrue 6.154 hours of vacation and 3.692 hours of sick leave per pay period. (That’s four weeks a year and one day a month, respectively.) I also get two weeks of continuing medical education time, though that usually involves a conference someplace nice, and one of those weeks can be converted to outright vacation.

Argh! The company I work for writes (amongst other things) software for managing holidays/vacations sick-schemes and - for those of the American persuasion - personal days. Also flexitime schemes time-off-in-lieu holiday calendars and the like. You people are making my head ache (yes, I get to write/maintain said software). Looking at our holiday management package I see parameters for ::deep breath::

Fixed or earned entitlement.
Units Days/Hours/Decihours (tho’ I think we only go to two decimal points Doc
Year based on calendar or employee start date.
Period (for earned) Weekly, fortnightly, monthly. . .
Entitlement.
Carry forward allowed? If so how much. Use within period.
Forward booking allowed? - for how long in the future.
Pro-rata in first period (for earned)
Can exceed entitlement? If so by how much.
Allow brought forward? If so how much.
Additional time for length of service? A whole bunch of extra parameters for this.

It looks like some of you have schemes that would every option checked, plus some we haven’t thought of. Naturally we don’t use any of this complicated stuff in house. Holiday is a fixed number of days, use it or lose it. If you’re sick you’re sick (get a note if it’s more than a couple of days) and we don’t do flexitime just 9 to 5:30.

In a previous life I worked on a ship. There the system was very simple. Six weeks onboard - six weeks off. When on ship: Twelve hours on twelve hours off seven days a week. When off: Nothing.

Since someone brought it up, the way to spot the “always sick on Fridays” skivers is something called the Bradford factor. You take the product of the number of days off sick and the square of the number of separate absences, high scorers will attract attention.

I accumulate 1.25 sick days every month. I got five to start with.

I get 3 personal days per year. If these aren’t used, the role over into sick leave.

No vacation time (I’m a teacher).

A very good set up indeed. I have been teaching for six years, and I have over 60 sick days saved up.

At my co., we get 8 sick days per calendar year - they don’t carry over to the next year.

We get 2 weeks’ vacation for years 1-4 and 3 weeks starting at 4 years. We can carry over 1 week per year and have 6 months to use it; otherwise we lose it. We are allotted our weeks at the beginning of the calendar year, but we are actually borrowing it since we haven’t accrued it yet for the year. That is, if I want to take Jan. 15-30 off, I can; but if I terminate before I earn those 2 weeks, I would owe it back to the company. (Often times, they just let people keep it though.) We do get paid for accrued but unused vacation time upon termination (state law).

We don’t get any personal days but when I take a partial day off or come in late or leave early, it’s never counted against vacation time.

We get 10 paid holidays and usually get a day or two off extra - e.g., when Christmas falls on a Thursday, they just give us the Friday off even though it’s not an official holiday.

I get 6 sick days a year that accrue at a rate of .5 days per month at the beginning of each calendar year. If you get sick in January and need to take more than a half a day, you fill out a form to borrow the sick time. If you leave before you earn back the borrowed time, it comes out of your last paycheck. First year employees get three sick days for the year.

Personal days work the same way as sick days. I accrue one every four months, and have to borrow after that. Personal days require advanced notice and management approval.

Vacation days are based on your service with the company. Newer employees (anyone 90 days to 3 years) get up to 10 days a year, accruing one day on the 15th of each month. Employees with 3 to 8 years get 1.25 vacation days a month up to a maximum of 15 days. Employees who’ve been with the company for 15 years or more get 20 vacation days a year. We also get 10 paid holidays, including one or two floating holidays.

PTO doesn’t roll over from year to year – I either use it or lose it.

Do you handle sabbaticals? Evil :slight_smile: One company I worked for gave you 6 or 8 weeks every seven years. I never even got near it. We shut down between Christmas and New Years, paid, which works about the same as a sabbatical but you can’t lose it.

Is your flexitime daily hours of compensatory time? I’d hate to have to track my schedule. :slight_smile: What with working from home sometimes, staying late often, it would be a real mess.

This is just where the Argh! kicks in. No sabbaticals, they don’t crop up in the sort of working environments we deal with. I suppose you’d be put on your very own customised holiday scheme for the year.

You’d be expected to clock your time (with a swipe card usually), if you have an entry card to your office/place-of-work then that’s what gets used.

From home: log on by phone. Working late: swipe out of the office late and the system tracks your hours. Basically it looks like you are not in a job that expects (or needs) you to track your time so you won’t be needing our services <phew>

The weird thing to me is that there are *so many * different arrangements out there. You’d supposed there would be maybe half a dozen standard arrangments for holidays and sick-schemes but no. . . there are hundreds - just look at this thread - it’s a nightmare (and don’t get me started on firefighters). I shouldn’t complain, complicated employment senarios keep me busy.

I’m an engineer at a medical device company. I’m on year #2 there, so I accrue 4.92 hours of PTO every 2 weeks. Once I’ve been there 4 or 5 years, it bumps up so I accrue more time. I’m salaried and was told that I don’t need to use it for the occasional sick day, but that’s an honor system. I’m sure if they saw someone abusing it, they’d change the policy. The hourly people do have to use PTO if they’re sick. Though interestingly, really long-term non-salaried people get more PTO than their salaried counterparts.

I think we can accrue 1.5 times our yearly PTO allowance before we have to use it. My first year I spent it almost as fast as I got it, so I didn’t have to worry about that.

My company’s PTO program is really one of the only alluring things about it, in my opinion. As the company is primarily made up of somewhat recent college grads, they reward you with PTO more quickly because if you’ve been with the company more than 5 or 6 years, you’re an elder.

As it is, I’ve worked there for a little less than 5 years and have 15 days of straight PTO, 6 days of sick PTO, 2 floating holidays, and 2 personal days. All of this is put together as PTO, so in total I have 25 days of PTO per year. Plus I think we have 11 paid holidays and occasionally get the time between Christmas and New Years off. Unfortunately, it’s a “use it or lose it” program, so by the end of the year, I’m taking off random Mondays and Wednesday to ensure that I don’t get screwed out of any time. This in addition to a couple of week-long vacations, maybe some day-trips, long weekends, etc.

I’m not looking forward to leaving the PTO structure as I leave for a new job. I’m still looking, but I haven’t seen any program that even approaches what I even started with in the current place.

I’m a salaried, exempt employee. I get 3 weeks of PTO per year (determined by years of employment – I’m in the 1-5 years bracket), plus about 10 holidays (8 floating, 2 set holidays) and one “diversity day” which is pretty much just more PTO. If I work a holiday, I just get another day. We are open one of our set holidays, so our site allows it if I have to work that day, I get another day. I cannot roll over PTO to the next year. I get the whole bank on January 1.

Hourly non-exempt can roll over 20 hours, can get slightly more or slightly less time depending on years of employment, and can get paid 2.5x normal if they work holidays or another day off, their choice. They don’t get a diversity day. I still think I’m getting the raw end of the deal, considering I made more as hourly with a lower level job, but oh well.

I get 8 sick hours per month or 96 hours a year. Since I’m a 24 hour employee, if I work the holiday, I get time and a half, if I don’t, I get straight time. I get 20 days of vacation every year, next year it’ll be 25. I can accrue compensatory time at the same 1.5 times rate rather than cash OT, with no cap, and they’re pretty decent with allowing use (because a) they have to adhere to the bargaining unit contract and b) comp time is so regulated).

it ain’t all bad.