How many books do you read per year?

Hey, that’s cool!

Yeah, pages probably is better than simply # of books. As I’ve gotten older, and especially now that I’m reading a lot of fantasy, page count has gone up as number of books has gone down. In 1985, when I read 61 books, most of them were less than 300 pages (or even less than 200!), whereas now I’m reading mostly books with 300+ pages, and often with 500+ pages.

Between 40 and 100 a year. Sometimes I read like a mad man. Sometimes I pursue other interests.

Dozens, about all sorts of stuff. Much science fiction, much business-related books, many books about entertainment, history.

I read a hell of a lot more than books though - the Wall Street Journal, a number of monthly magazine subscriptions, and hundreds of thousands+ of words monthly on the internet.

Not to mention all the emails, nor the dozens of pages of writing every month that I produce and review in my job.

I read a lot of books… but books are a small percentage of the words that I read.

One a year if I’m lucky. Most of my reading is periodicals.
I’m more of a “go-do-experience” person than a “sit-read” person.

Maybe 5 a year. I read something when the wife recommends it, or I’ve heard something really good about a book.

I read lots of newspaper and periodicals, though. And, I’m also usually working through some chess books.

I’ve never really kept track of how many books I read. My online reading group has one book per month so I read at least 12 for that, then there’s the library books (I take out 10 at a time over a four-week period and very rarely have to renew any), then there’s the books that I’ve bought (damn you, Waterstone’s, and your 3-for-2 offers) from the bookstore, the things I look up on Amazon (damn you for your “free delivery on orders over £15”) and the books my friends give me when they’re finished because they think I might like them.

I need to give up my job, I don’t have enough time to read any more.

Funny thing is I’m the same way. But because of that I end up reading more when I’m working a lot. I read during my lunch break, and during cigarette breaks, and on the bus to and from work, and at the bus stop while waiting for a bus, mostly because I can’t stand just sitting there. On my days off or when I’m not working much, my reading drops off because I have time to actually go do something.

I knew opening this thread would just make me feel bad about myself. Between TV and magazines, I couldn’t even read one a week last year. I blame Ulysses.

i started a thread on this in early january. my count for last year was 299. i’m a bit off my pace this year. there was a bit of an upset in late jan. early feb. i’m back on track now.

Varies, I’d say on average 10 books a year. I work in a bookstore but I don’t have much time for all the reading I want to do because of other commitments.

300+

Was a book a day but I’ve been slacking off lately. A History of Wales took a while but I made up for it with the Left Behind series at two a day. If the FBI uses my library history in court I’m in big trouble!

If you doubt the numbers realize that I ride the bus and if I don’t have a book to read I’d die.
And no meal is complete without something to read.
Mods, I realize this thread is dated but I saw it whilst my membership was in arrears and now that I think of it this board is the reason I’ve been slacking off.

I’d estimate I read 20 last year, but it was my last year in grad school - so I was quite busy. I’m hoping more this year, especially if I can find a used book store that I can trade in some for credits.

I guess we must study different subjects. My heaviest reading years have been during grad school.

During the two-year Masters phase of my degree (i.e., before my comprehensive exams), i probably read about 100 books a year just for the degree program, as well as countless journal articles, without counting the stuff i read just for pleasure outside of my field. In the dissertation-research-and-writing phase, the number of books has come down, replaced by archival research and other primary source reading. While i find most of the stuff i read for my work very interesting, some of it is quite a chore.

It’s hard for me to quantify my reading nowdays, because i do so much of it online, and i also subscribe to a bunch of periodicals (Harper’s, Atlantic Monthly, Z Magazine, The Nation, etc., etc.) that take up a lot of my reading time.

Yeah, for my program we read a few books but mostly journal articles. And, like you, I can’t count the number of articles I’ve read in the four years.

My 20 was a count of novels not related to school at all. I like to separate the things that I need to read and the things that I get to read, they’re separate entities to me. I guess I should have made that clear in my post.

Far fewer than I did before I became a librarian. Kind of ironic, right?
I may now make it through two pleasure-reading type books in a month - but I’m reading more short stories.

I’m also doing a lot more work related reading lately, and I read two newspapers daily (the local + the WSJ) plus a wide variety of blogs.

I use aNobii, which is similar.

Right now, I’m up to 26 books completed, with three or four in mid-read status. This includes school books, but not academic journal articles. However, according to the 300 pages/book averaging mechanism, I’ve completed 34.24 books so far this year. I’ll probably manage to get at least ten more books in before the year ends, but it all depends on how busy work, volunteering and graduate studies make me this semester.

And a bunch of Dopers are here, which is similar to LibraryThing.

I manage 50-70 a year. I put the titles in a Word file, and if I feel ambitious, I might add comments.

Does anyone else look at titles and not remember anything about the book? I’m ashamed sometimes. I’ll remember if I liked it, but nothing about the plot.

What’s worse is when you know you’ve read one before, decide to read it again, get half way through it and still don’t remember what happens, or who done it.

I’m too disorganized to know how many books I read in a year. I’m not a very fast reader, but I usually have a few going at once.

That is exactly why I started writing reviews in a LiveJournal. Nobody reads them (okay, one friend, an occasional LJ 50 Book Challenge participant, and one author I panned), but writing them makes me think about the book more critically as and after I read, and even though I don’t write content summaries, my notes help stimulate those memories later.

For many years I read very little. Last year was the first time I tried for the book-a-week thing, but with hospitalizations* and one thing and another, I only ended up with 26 last year. This year, I’m up to 41 which is seven books ahead of schedule.

[sub]*Yes, most of the time hospitalization increases reading. It did for me the last two times I was in there. However, when I was in there last year, I was really ill. No reading for me.[/sub]