How many countries has England/Great Britain/United Kingdom NOT invaded

I don’t think they cared who owned the land at the time of the “invasion”, just that British troops/vessels/planes attacked someone in the land currently part of the modern-day country, At least that’s how I interpret what the list represents. So Canada would definitely count, ya know, the whole Plains of Abraham and all that.

That would no doubt be why Guatemala is on the not-invaded on the list despite the Belize thing.

Yes, but what happens when they invade Luxembourg and then someone belatedly looks up the NATO Treaty and discovers that Luxembourg is one of their allies? The Treaty collapses as does the EU, generating a worldwide depression. All die. Oh the embarassment!
I do wonder about the US list. Would it be shorter to list countries attacked by the US or those not attacked?

D’oh! Misread this as the list of countries that the British *have *invaded. Obviously, I was mistaken and it is a short list of countries that were *not *invaded by the British.

So in short, “have the British invaded____________?” is like the Rule 34 of International Relations.

Didn’t Thailand change its name from the Kingdom of Siam to Thailand, containing their word for “peace” because they’ve never been invaded by anyone?

Thailand is the only country of Southeast Asia that wasn’t colonized by a European power. Siam did lose chunks of its original territory to Britain and France, however. Japan invaded the country in 1941, as the result of which Thailand eventually became an ally of Japan during the war.

When was Switzerland invaded ?

Maybe Marlborough passed through somewhere that’s now part of Switzerland? Although this mapof his march to the Danube makes that look unlikely.

I think this is a crap list overall.

The RAF attacked Geneva, Zürich and Basel in 1940:

In 1370, Switzerland was invaded by Sir Roger Fenwick, an English knight, and his followers.

The map shows he carefully avoided Switzerland. He wouldn’t have come out alive. However we remember him in a ditty:

Malbrough s´en va-t-en guerre,
Mironton, mironton, mirontaine,
Malbrough s´en va-t-en guerre,
Ne sais quand reviendra.

etc.

As for the bombings, it was an error caused by bad weather. And it wasn’t the British (They never make mistakes :dubious:).

Quote:

“At the insistence of the Swiss government for an explanation, Allied investigations into the incident found that bad weather broke up the American formation over France, and that high winds that nearly doubled the ground speed of the bombers confused the navigators.” Wiki

Thailand was invaded in any case by the British during WWII.

According to the official website of the Canton of Basel-Country, on December 17th 1940, RAF planes dropped 50 bombs on the town of Binningen. 3 local women were killed.

http://www.baselland.ch/dez2011-htm.316592.0.html

The American air attacks on Switzerland during WW II are more widely known, though, and it has been argued that these bombing raids may not have been conducted by mistake (at least not all of them).

Supposedly because Switzerland allowed rail transit between Italy and Germany.

Pretend wars are way, way, *waaayyyy *better than real ones.
:slight_smile:

Of the above list, have the British been involved in Mali thus far recently. I know the RAF has helped airlift French troops.

They are sending ground troops to train Malian forces. Don’t think that counts as invasion.

The UK didn’t invade the Republic of Texas.

Siam changed its name to Thailand in large part due to the efforts of Major-General Luang Wichitwathakan, who began campaigning for the name change after being presented a map produced by the Ecole Francaise d’Extrene Orient showing the Thai race inhabiting Siam, Burma, Southeast Asia and southern China. The map led him to believe there were 60 million Thais in southern China and Southeast Asia – including many in northern Vietnam – at the time, and through his personal crusade as both a historian and a politician, he managed to get the name changed to Thailand as sort of a homeland for the Thai peoples.

The name was changed in June 1939, changed back to Siam at the end of World War II, then back again to Thailand in 1949, and this time it stuck.

Is that this same claim you made before? If so, it was already answered thus and thus.

It certainly was invaded by Japan though, and successfully. Not to mention the Burmese invasions over the years. But it’s a common misconception that “Thai” means “free.”