How many people are two footed drivers? (ie foot on gas & foot on brake)

Here in the US several years ago (Probably in the late 80s, but may have been before) some car companies started adding clutch interlocks on their cars. First ones to do this were the Japanese, followed by domestic makes, and finally by the Europeans. (My company got clutch interlocks in 98 IIRC)
I don’t believe that interlocks were driven by regulation, but rather by customer expectation. In Europe the expectation is that in case of a stall, you can put the car in gear and “drive” it off to the side of the road on the starter. In the US the expectation is that you should not be able to have the car lurch forward (backward) if you are dumb enough to engage the starter with the car in gear. I can recall being asked in the mid 90s why if my company builds such safe cars why didn’t they have a clutch interlock?

Are you talking about manuals with the gear shift on the steering column?
I don’t think they’ve made cars like that since the 60s or early 70s.

I had a 95 BMW which didn’t have an interlock.
You could start it while in gear.

My 2001 and 2002 BMWs require the clutch pedal be pressed.

Psst **zippyh ** look up one post. :slight_smile:

One day when I was driving my car in college, a friend sitting in the passenger seat blurted suddenly, “You went to school in Arlington Heights, didn’t you?” I was dumbfounded because I didn’t recall ever telling him where I grew up, much less that I had indeed attended a high school just over the city line in Arlington Heights.

He said that he knew right away because I was braking with my left foot, and the city of Arlington Heights was the only city in the state that taught left-foot braking in driver education. Everyone else thought it was a crock.

I never found out whether he was right about Arlington Heights being the only place, but I was in fact taught left-foot braking in driver ed and I’ve done it ever since, without to my knowledge causing any harm.

Must be a USA safety thing.
Cars in Europe don’t need the clutch depressed for starting.
I expect it won’t be too long before our Eurocrats also think this safety measure is a worthwhile thing.

Having had my car slammed into by an ahem soccer mom ( :wally ) in the early 90s, caused by starting the car without the clutch engaged, I’m all for this safety inovation. The explanation I’ve always heard for the installation of these devices was to prevent the afore mentioned type, along with “those punk kids, who gave them a license”, and the “bluehair” types from slamming into other cars in the lot, pedestrians on the curb or behind the car, etc.

Thankfully it was a slow speed impact, with no damage, but it was annoying. Mostly because of her stupid “I don’t normally drive this car” BS excuse.

On the OP of this thread. I drive 2 feet, left for the CLUTCH, right for the brake and the gas.

I also must agree with the above posters, who slam the left foot down often when forced to drive an automatic. :smack: Thankfully the floorpans are tough. :slight_smile:

-Butler

My first car when it got older used to stall on me whenever I stopped, so I started using two feet for a bit. I would start the braking with my right foot, and then switch my left foot to the brake, so I could move the right back to rev the gas a little to keep it running. I tried braking with the left foot only, but found I had a hard time getting the right braking power. Starting with the right foot let me set the right amount of braking, then the left foot would just hold/increase from there.

That was the only time I came close to driving with two feet.

I guess I am the only person that can read post #21
::: shrug:::

I have done it int he past, mainly because I had to to prevent stalling while braking.

I sometimes revert to it in critical driving situations.

Fair point.

What I read from post #21 is that Americans expect to have their cars dumbed down for them. European manufacturers put in clutch interlocks for the American markets but don’t do the same for their own market. Is that really the answer?

Incidentally, I have one of the new BMW minis, I can start it regardless of what the clutch is doing.
Any Americans have a manual mini? Is it the same for you?

Umm, mostly I was wondering what Arch Trout meant when he asked about American cars with shifters on the dash.

I remember my Brother In Law not being able to start my car before I told him to press the clutch in.

To be fair, they’ve already come out with a decent solution. Teach people to check they’re in neutral before starting (you’ll fail the test if you don’t). Far simpler.