How much should it cost to replace a cracked taillight?

From this site it looks like you can replace the cover of the taillight with very little effort. Replacing the entire assembly requires removal of the bumper.

If I can just replace the cover, I would definitely opt for that, but based on what I’ve seen online and what others in this thread have said, I have to replace the whole unit.

That Fit site you linked to site and what GaryT said above indicates that I need to remove the rear bumper to get at the taillight assembly. That’s probably above my pay grade, but I’ll look into it.

Maybe. I found another site that sells the assembly for $80-90 new with a 2-year warranty. I certainly don’t mind paying a little more for new factory parts and ease, which is why I always get my car serviced at the Honda dealer. But in this case the mark-up seems way too extreme.

There was Ford Aerostar minivan I owned that had a taillight assembly that had a chip out of it. Not a penetrative crack, no water could get into the assembly, literally a chip. At the bottom of the band of amber. All three lights were in one assembly. Inspector flunked it. Dealership wanted hundreds, went to a wrecking yard, pulled one for $65 and installed it myself. Was still furious. It’s a racket I tell you. Ever price parts for appliances? That’s a racket too. $150 for an oven rack. That’s one oven rack. The whole oven, new, might cost $600, and they’re telling me half that is the wire racks in the middle? Fracking rassle-fargers.

Enjoy,
Steven

First things first:Do not take your car into the same place to have it inspected; you said you didn’t notice it until it was pointed out. Then, the salesman said 'Pay us 280 now, in case the other guy won’t be as easy on you as I am…" Or some such. I think you should wait and see if the inspector, from a place that doesn’t make a profit from selling you items that need inspection approval, decides if you need to pay or not.
Secondly, go to a local Pull-Apart. Around here, they’re danged cheap.

I’m still trying to confirm if I need to take the bumper off to get at the taillight assembly. I’ve seen some info that indicates that this is the case, but nothing official. Is there a place online I can find this info officially (i.e. not some random dude on a message board just saying it - yes, I realize the irony there).

Again, it’s a 2007 Honda Fit Sport.

Next time you need an appliance part, check out Repair Clinic.

RepairClinic’s listing for the rack my oven uses is also $150. :frowning: Found one a couple years ago, when we moved in and discovered the previous owners had apparently taken the racks out of the oven to clean it and then misplaced them, for about $85. We bought one, and keep thinking about buying a second, but we rarely use both racks in the oven.

Enjoy,
Steven

Not an expert, but I just paid about $420 to have the tail light repaired in my car. They *had *to remove the entire back panel of the car and the billing was about 75% labor costs at the dealership. On the other hand, my car is a relatively rare model for the USA and I don’t trust any local garages to do it properly even though I probably could have found the part second hand somewhere. If the back end of the car has to come off to get to the light, you might be risking damage to your car to have someone do it who doesn’t have the right tools to fix it properly, but that is just my opinion. In the meantime, if you do go with repairs at the dealer, see if they can sweeten the pot with a tank of gas or a free wash/interior clean…doesn’t hurt to ask, right?

Is this the part you’re looking for?

If so, this could be the replacement process you’re looking for.

It sounds like you have to buy a complete taillight assembly (probably true at the junkyard, also).

However, maybe you can pull the cover off the new one and use it to replace the cracked one? Not particularly eco-friendly (I’d hang on to the bulb), but might save you half or more of the quoted price.

If you do need to (or decide to) replace the whole thing, and the bumper pull is required - call a couple of body shops for quotes also.

Seems to me you don’t have a problem until it fails to pass an inspection.

That’s what I did, when I realized I was going to spend a dozen hours finding the best deal, ordering, waiting… and I needed to fix it fast, so I spent $200. Arrrrgh!

Then I busted a different taillight. For that one, I had more time, so I checked out a junkyard, trudged a mile down dirt paths lined with junkers, found a similar car, took out a taillight. Paid $35. And it fit my car just fine.

If you really want to go cheap, you can glue the cracked pieces together, or cover with tinted plastic.
A repair kit will run you about $20.00.
I did this once on an old car-worked fine.

I looked up the MO regulations (PDF), and it says

So tape is out (They’re on to me!), but it sounds like repairing with glue or epoxy should pass.

Massachusetts is more explicit:

So the OP should be able to repair it and have it pass.

Someone on another message board, that I came across when searching, had the following sage advice: