How superstrength would REALLY work.

Couldn’t Superman (at least) be suggested to be using his powers of flight to prevent himself sinking into the ground when lifting heavy objects? He sort of hovers, providing a similar effect to attaching a large number of helium balloons to the object (just not enough to casue the object to rise).

I thought his powers came from the yellow rays of the Earths sun?
Look, there’s no rational way to explain how Superman flies or his strength. Even with the gravity thing, the best he could do would be to bounce around like Neil Armstrong on the moon, not lift office buildings.

Please elaborate.

I dunno, I once saw Neil Armstrong lift a Safeway. He threatened to hit me with it. All I did was ask for an autograph. Yeesh, some people.

This is bad. Particularly since the only suggestion Jor-El wasn’t exactly like every other Kryptonian was that he rescued Kal - which made the latter fairly inexplicable.

This part I like, actually (aside from the gestation matrix, of course, that being, as it is, a symptom of the ‘cold, sterile nightmare’.)

I am totally with you guys on Tom Rainbow! He had a cult follower in me from his very first article, and I still remember the loss I felt (even after just a few articles) when I read in Asimov’s about his death. The sense of humor and inventiveness that he brought to science articles was unique in my experience – sort of a goofier, hipper Isaac Asimov.

eBay is a great place to find old SF magazines – I have bought many there while rounding out my collection. The category that you want is :

Home > All Categories > Books > Magazine Back Issues > Science Fiction

Also check out abebooks.com – it is the pooled inventory of nearly every independent used book store in the U.S. I have yet to turn up a blank on it when searching for a book, and they have tons of magazines also – I randomly tried one from Askia’s list (October '85) and found at least one copy there, for $2.50. Searching there for magazines there can be a bit of an art, since there doesn’t seem to be a standard for how to list them, but a little experimentation will usually pay off.

And let’s not forget Larry Niven’s “Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex”, in which he speculates on the dangers of a sexually active Superman.

Sorry, that should be “Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex” – it was a singularly good article.

The first problem is that the “neurouscular efficiency” of a chimpanzee is exactly the same as humans. Muscle and nerves both evolved once and both peaked pretty early in our evolutionary history. Human and chimp muscles and nerves are identical. The reason why chimps are stronger than people in the upper body is due to leverage differences.
But lets assume that’s what the author meant by “neuromuscular efficiency resembles that of a chimpanzee”. Nothing to do with the neurons or muscles but simply the bone structure. Different relative bone lengths give chimps a leverage advantage, however it comes at the cost of reducing speed simply because a lever can magnify force or movement but never both. A chimp is stronger than a human but slower in equal proportion. So any human designed to achieve strength the same way as a chimp would find themselves unable to move their arms with anywhere near the speed of a normal human. They would be useless in a hand to hand fight and unable to even throw objects at any great speed.

They would also look freakish since the ration of upper and lower arm bones would need to be the same as a chimp. Nobody gaining extra strength in this manner would pass for a normal human even in bad light.

The next problem is that this person supposedly has “the muscle mass of an ordinary human” and yet the strength is due in part to “the points at which her muscles attach to her bones [being] flanged.” But muscle strength is proportional to cross sectional area. It doesn’t matter how huge the tendons are the muscle will only generate more force if it can take advantage of the thicker tendons by being thicker itself. Of course a thicker muscle is also necessarily more massive. This person would need to have more muscle mass than a normal human to produce more strength from the larger tendon attachments. Tendons themselves don’t produce any motive force.

Basically the whole concept is psuedoscientific gobbledegook. That’s not a bad thing for a comic of course.

Wow, I had no idea that he passed away… what a loss. His writing was great, funny and very thoroughly grounded. Too bad.

Unfortunately, Drakon is a novel.

I totally agree. And I think it’s so cool I’ve talked about one of my favorite obscure science fiction writers with other prople who liked his work.

Tom Rainbow’s (apparent) debut in Isaac Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine appears in the June 1083 issue, entitled, “The Feasibility of Mind-Transfer.”

The essay on Superpowers that lokij got that hilarious ‘monster’ quote from came from the September 1983 issue of IASFM, entitled ‘Superpowers!’

Reyemile, if you’re really interested I can send you a copy of the article. Hit me up on my yahoo e-mail.

Actually, I think that refers to the Moslem General (whose name I cannot remember even though I just reread Aces Abroad where he appears) who Hiram damages so badly with his gravity powers when the aces from the stacked deck are ambushed.

The main feature of that issue was “The Feasibility of Time Travel – Proven!” , I believe.
:wink:

PreCrisis, his strength was from Earth’s low gravity. His invulnerability was from the yellow sun.

In the very early Superman stories, he didn’t actually fly. He simply jumped very high and very far, as the Hulk does.

I remember a comic page that gave a rundown of Supesy’s powers. Along the lines of being able to leap an eighth of a mile, or that his skin could only be punctured by a “bursting shell” or something.

Back then, they called him ReallyToughMan, but then Dr. Wily threatened to sue for patent infringement…