How To Get An Apartment Without A Job in Hand

I have 8 grand or so saved for moving so I could pay for a 6 month lease up front but my fear is that then I leave myself no recourse for any problems that would arise since the landlord already has their money. I suppose it would only be for 6 months though so that might work out okay.

This happened to us when we moved to LA. We found an apartment manager that was willing to accept paystubs from our jobs in Ohio as proof of income as well as bank statements showing that we had cash in the bank.

When I moved to NYC the apartment did not actually make us pay upfront for 6 months, just prove that we could (excellent credit helps). It was a nerve-wracking process, though.

Well I do have excellent credit so maybe all they will need is proof that rent can be paid. I guess I will find out one way or the other when I go up to find an apartment in april.

:eek:
Sorry

I read this as “How To Get An Apartment Without A Hand Job.”

:stuck_out_tongue:

When I trying to find apartments in Fairfax VA I ran into problems because I had no previous rental history. Once I offered 6 months rent up front they were happy to over look my lack of history. You can have the money put in an account with an appropriate contract so they can’t run off with your money and you can’t bail on your rent.